Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County
Default Chantix anybody try it?

Don't know if I spelled it right but I really need to quit smoking and have tried nicorette and cold turkey. Both have worked for a couple of months, but that doesn't qute constitute quitting. Been thinking about giving this stuff a try. So have any green screeners used it? What are the pros and cons?
Sparkles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
SMUMan02
Ten Point

Google it. You might decide it's not worth the risk.
SMUMan02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
TexaswBOWhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr, Montgomery & Leon Counties in Tx, SW Kansas

I used it to help get off the snuff.... It works, I will say that it definitely takes the craving's away and I went several months without snuff... I could not have done as good as I did without it!!! And I have tried several times in the last 15 years or so....

Then I messed up and bumed a dip, it was all over then!!!!
TexaswBOWhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Yes, used it to quit dipping and it worked. Supposedly you might experience weird dreams but I never had that. It just took the craving edge off and that's all I needed. If you are truly ready and are disgusted in the habit you've acquired, you can successfully quit once and for all. Went from 1+ can/day for umpteen years to quit. 2 years now and so glad I did. Good luck, you can do it!

Oh, and the money I save from NOT buying snuff pays for my deer lease and then some.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country

http://www.newsinferno.com/archives/1862
ShockValue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
TexaswBOWhunter
Pope & Young

Yeah, my doctor also mentioned the dreams.... She also mentioned that if you were prone to depresion not to use it.... I never had the dreams either and I am definitely not the depressed type!!!!
Old 01-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
Cuz
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central & West TX

My old man used it to break a 50 year 2+ pack a day habit.

It worked decent for him. He got down to 3 cigs a day for a long time then stopped the chantix and got back to smoking. IT GAVE HIM HORRIBLE CRAZY DREAMS!

I'm a smoker too. If I decide to stop I'm going to stop. Won't be trying all these kinds of things to help. jmo
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I think the key here is NOT to mix alcohol with the drug. Everybody likes to jump on this one case but I'm not sure it is something that most of us would experience. Again, good luck!
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

Do your homework. It apparently works very well for some people. On the other hand it appears to make some people literally crazy. A great local musician in Dallas, Carter Albrect (sp?), was killed in Dallas a couple of years ago. His best friends all swear the Chantix made him crazy and act totally out of character. He went from being a very peaceful musician, to a raving lunatic. As with most modern miracle medicine, check it out and make sure you know what you're getting into. Be careful and Good Luck...
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
Closetohome
Eight Point

Hunt In: El Campo,TX & Arizona and Utah

I have used it for a while. My dad was prescribed it when he got prostate cancer and I figured if it worked on him it would work on anyone. The stuff works but there are pros and cons to everything.

It is expensive if your insurance wont cover it...I think in the $140-150 range if I remember. I did experience nausea for about 30 minutes after taking it if I took it on an empty stomach which it says not to do...im not a breakfast person so it was tough.

It is pretty amazing stuff as it totally shuts off the cravings for nicotine...even if you do smoke or dip after taking it you dont get any of the relaxing effects of the nicotine.

The problem you run into is getting off the Chantix. If you are still around people that smoke the cravings will return. It still takes quite a bit of willpower afterwards but you will be surprised at how much better you feel once you stop smoking. That alone may help to quit.
Closetohome is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Quote:
Oh, and the money I save from NOT buying snuff pays for my deer lease and then some
I know it at almost $7 a pack and 1 pack a day thats some pretty good money. Not to mention the other crap I get when I go in for a pack of stoges. Next thing you know i am out the door at $10.
Quote:
If you are truly ready and are disgusted in the habit you've acquired, you can successfully quit once and for all
I feel like I am. It just amazes me that those little things can run my life the way they do.
Quote:
It just took the craving edge off and that's all I needed.
I think that is all I need too. Nicorette did that for me for a little but it was still nicotene.
Quote:
2 years now and so glad I did. Good luck, you can do it!
Congrats to you and thanks.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #12
rubydog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: A tall tree

Yep, I had the dreams and the upset stomach every morning to boot. I quit using it for those reasons. I got the Dr. to give a script for the Nicotrol inhalers and used them to quit in five days. That was back in October. Look out weight game here I come..
rubydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 12:07 PM   #13
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Quote:
It is expensive if your insurance wont cover it...I think in the $140-150 range if I remember
I am hoping my insurance covers it. If not I will put it on the flex card.
Quote:
The problem you run into is getting off the Chantix. If you are still around people that smoke the cravings will return. It still takes quite a bit of willpower afterwards but you will be surprised at how much better you feel once you stop smoking. That alone may help to quit.
Seems like I am the only one in my circles that does smoke still. So that may help.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #14
Artemis
Four Point

Hubby tried it a while back, but he quits everything EXCEPT smoking, so he didn't finish the program. I do know it has some serious potential side effects. Be sure to research the side effects before you fill that prescription. Chantix is about $150.00 for the first month and insurance doesn't always cover it. You'd think they'd rather pay for it than pay for lung cancer and emphysema treatments, go figure. Hubby is getting ready to give it another try, but I am getting really tired of throwing money at it with no results. This is the 2nd try for Chantix, he's tried Nicoderm patches 3 or 4 times, toothpics, all kinds of methods. The longest he stayed off the cigarettes was 5 months, and that time he quit cold turkey. I have been quit for 2 years and I quit cold turkey. I keep telling him that he keeps giving himself permission to fail, but all I get back is a blank stare. I don't think he gets my point.

For me it was all about getting my head wrapped around the fact that I didn't want to be a smoker anymore. That is not the same as saying I wanted to quit. I didn't want to quit. I liked smoking. I didn't want to smell like cigarettes, I didn't want to pay for cigarettes any more, I didn't want to be standing outside in the heat and humidity or the cold just to smoke, I didn't like missing out on the smell and tastes of the food I ate and the fragrance of candles I light. I didn't like what it did to my teeth and my lungs. I also hate to spend money for a crutch when I know I can do it on my own. (I can be really, really stubborn. Sometimes it's a bad thing, but sometimes it's a good thing!)
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #15
Right_wing
Six Point

It works!

I'm snuffless now.
Right_wing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #16
caccardo07
Eight Point

Hunt In: ANYWHERE I CAN , IN CORIGAN WITH A FRIEND HOPEFULLY !!!!

Tried it one time !!!!! It made me have some crazy dreams and i was very uptight with my family . It did make me slow down smokin but when i quit takeing them it made me smoke more .
caccardo07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #17
caccardo07
Eight Point

Hunt In: ANYWHERE I CAN , IN CORIGAN WITH A FRIEND HOPEFULLY !!!!

I have blue cross blue shield and they covered it
caccardo07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #18
Captrix
Pope & Young

it works but you have to want a quit. I used it for a month and it made me crazy but I quit. I'll go out with friends that smoke and have one or 2 then wont smoke again for months. I did have strange dreams on it, worse that what I normally have.
Captrix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #19
Mallard06
Six Point

2 guys that I work with tried it and both had the really effed up dreams.

One I remember was that the guy was playing soccer with a pickle.
Mallard06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #20
IFeedDeer
Nubbin' Buck

i tried it . works great.got me down to a pack a day from 2 packs a day right away. But i couldnt deal with the morning Nausea that started about a month into it . outside of the mouth watering feeling of wanting to vomit i think its a good product. I didnt have the dream side effect but my Dr did give me a pill to help stop the Nausea. I dont remember if it stopped the Nausea feeling but i have to say it didnt cuz i stopped taking it lol
IFeedDeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #21
mnsmokepole
Ten Point

Hunt In: Boerne, Minnesota, Black Hills,SD

43 years of smoking and it was cold turkey for me. That was 4 years ago. If you want to bad enough you can do it. My 2 cents
mnsmokepole is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #22
georgec
Six Point

Hunt In: Sugar Valley

I smoked two or more packs a day for thirty years. Took chantex for three months and haven't smoked in over two years and still don't want a cig. I did have a few bad dreams but I'm not sure if that was the chantex or withdrals from the cigs. Great stuff I think.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #23
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Quote:
I have blue cross blue shield and they covered it
Thats what I have, hopefully I will have the same luck with the insurance.
Quote:
It made me have some crazy dreams and i was very uptight with my family
This is what I don't want. I have some wierd dreams anyway, so that may not be too bad, just don't want to get up tight with the family. If in a couple of weeks I am on here rambling a bunch of nonsense blame the Chantex. Some serious food for thought here.
Quote:
If you want to bad enough you can do it. My 2 cents
I may not want it bad enough because I don't know if I can loose this vice without a crutch.

Last edited by Sparkles; 01-21-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #24
Bill M
Pope & Young

I used it back in Jan 2007. I smoked for around 35 years. I wanted to quit but I still enjoyed smoking. I had very minor effects from Chantix. You are suppose to take a 12 week dose regimen and then again if needed. I took 6 weeks worth and quit for two reasons, 1) the nicotine is supposedly out of your body after 72 hrs, 2) they say habits are broke in 21 days. I didn't need it anymore. I had made 6 weeks and wasn't giving in after that amount of time. I had mentally prepared myself not to smoke anymore with the help of Chantix. I'm not sure that getting up tight with the family is because of the Chantix or because you have given up an incredibly addicting habit.

I'm not bothered around smokers at all. Three years this month since I smoked my last cig and Chantix was a big reason.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #25
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

My wife used it, and quit smoking and is still smoke free. Yes it does have some side effects, but she said it was worth it. Our insurance did not cover it, but it was worth the cost of her quitting. She had tried everything out there, but nothing worked but this stuff, but like everyone has already said, you have to want to quit as well. Good luck.
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #26
Artemis
Four Point

We have BC/BS and it wasn't covered thru our plan. But that is the plan administrator. When a company signs up for health insurance they get to choose what they want covered and what they do not. At least that is the line I got.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #27
Captrix
Pope & Young

I think I paid $100 month with BCBS
Captrix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #28
Ayla
Four Point

Hunt In: Piney woods

DH tried to stop dipping on his own using nicorette for over a year. The Dr. put him on Chantix and he did have the weird dreams, but he's been totally off a year now. I don't think he did the full 12 weeks either, I'm pretty sure he stopped earlier too.
Ayla is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #29
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Does DH stand for dumb husband?
Old 01-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #30
JonBoy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Doss, TX

My wife took it to quit smoking when we first started dating...she was supposed to be on it for 3 months but could only stand the side effects for about 3 weeks...it did help with the cravings but the physical side effects it had on her were more than she could bare...I guess it worked out for the best though b/c its been 3 years and she's cigarette free!
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #31
Winman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zapata,San Ignacio,Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pairs12 View Post
Don't know if I spelled it right but I really need to quit smoking and have tried nicorette and cold turkey. Both have worked for a couple of months, but that doesn't qute constitute quitting. Been thinking about giving this stuff a try. So have any green screeners used it? What are the pros and cons?
If they worked for a couple of months....then you need to add,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WILL POWER....wonderful stuff......takes over where drugs leave off...I tried it after a 20+years addiction and it worked like a charm...haven't relapsed in 30 years...not one time....came close a couple of instances but fought it off...guess you never really lose the habit...and like a lot of things,you only remember the good parts and not the bad.
Winman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #32
TD2000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Star TX

Smoked for 35 years, tried everything at least twice and always went back to smoking.

Tried Chantix, they wanted you to smoke in 1st week while taking it, after 3 to 4 days I lost all interest in cigarettes, continued to take Chantix for the next couple weeks, never finished my prescription and haven't smoked since. Doesn't even bother me when others smoke as I have lost the urge completely - miracle drug for me.
TD2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #33
G MONEY
Eight Point

Hunt In: Where's your place at?

If you want to quit, then get the Chantix. Some will say it will cause this and make you do this and it is bad for you, etc etc,. Guess what. Cigarettes are bad for you. The chantix has helped a half dozen of us, friends and family quite those darn cancer sticks even after smoking for 30 plus years. Good luck in quitting.
G MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 11:08 PM   #34
texaset
Ten Point

Hunt In: North Tx Panhandle , Mid State and South Texas Brush Country

Try Chantix and join the non smoking side
texaset is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 11:22 PM   #35
manning620
Nubbin' Buck

Chantix is definetly worth the money. I took it successfully quit on it.
Alot of people worry about the side effects, however if you look at side effects with "most" medicine there is usally some sort bad thing "death, suicide, dreams and nausia."

I had a few weird dreams but they were the more CRAZY comical type.

The main thing is if you are ready to quit the try it but if your not then don't waste the money.

GOOD LUCK
manning620 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 11:39 PM   #36
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country

[quote=3pairs12;2199447]Thats what I have, hopefully I will have the same luck with the insurance. This is what I don't want. I have some wierd dreams anyway, so that may not be too bad, just don't want to get up tight with the family. If in a couple of weeks I am on here rambling a bunch of nonsense blame the Chantex. Some serious food for thought here. I may not want it bad enough because I don't know if I can loose this vice without a crutch.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pairs12 View Post
If you've quit for months at a time you HAD the physical part of it whipped. I'm not sure about Chantix, but the gum, patches etc just help with the physical. You have to continue to fight the mental urges for a LONG time. I still feel the need for a dip when hunting! It's a continous battle!

My daughter, four at the time, used to tell me all the time how GROSS the dip cups were (I think her Mom put her up to that). One day she asked me if it was bad for me to be dipping. I quit soon after. Use that little girl in your avatar as your CRUTCH to fight off those cravings, once you get the physical beat! Good luck!
ShockValue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2010, 01:08 AM   #37
Solocam
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brown County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo2 View Post
Do your homework. It apparently works very well for some people. On the other hand it appears to make some people literally crazy. A great local musician in Dallas, Carter Albrect (sp?), was killed in Dallas a couple of years ago. His best friends all swear the Chantix made him crazy and act totally out of character. He went from being a very peaceful musician, to a raving lunatic. As with most modern miracle medicine, check it out and make sure you know what you're getting into. Be careful and Good Luck...
A little more to that though..... The guy was recently dumped and was doing some heavy drinking that night. He started banging and kicking on the wrong door...
Solocam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #38
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Well a year and half after I started this thread I am on day one of the Chantix.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #39
TexaswBOWhunter
Pope & Young

You can do it, Dale... Kick it Brother
Old 06-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #40
QuackAddict
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking for family-friendly lease within 2hr drive of Wimberley!

Had several co-workers who've tried it with success. Just read up on the drug and decide if you wanna try it. If not there are other options. I wish you luck; congrats on your decision to stop (if you do indeed decide to) your loved ones will certainly thank you!

My dad quit back about 20 yrs ago after something like 30yrs of smoking, swears he wouldn't be alive today if he hadn't kicked it back then.
QuackAddict is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #41
BIG IRON
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Not sure yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockValue View Post
I remember the guys on the Ticket talking about this. I think Corbie and Danny were friends with him. I wonder how the cocktails he had that night contributed to what happened.

My wife and I have both used it in the past and it worked. Unfortunantly, I think we quit the RX too soon maybe. I am actually taking it now. No real side effects or dreams that I can remember.

As for the cost, you can go to their website and print off a $40 or $50 coupon.

All that being said, I will quit if you do. I was part of the Team Quit in 2006 (I think) with Bill M to get off of the snuff.
BIG IRON is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #42
ladrones
Pope & Young

Sucicidal ideations. Is a major side affect with this drug it is intensified ten fold when mixed with alcoholic beverages or other legal/illegal drugs.
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #43
Birddogss
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, Diamond C, CA, AR

Dale...the wife did it when it came out and it worked...but she started smoking again a year after..she just decided it's time to quit again so she is back on it..
As far as side effects...well you've met her so......
Birddogss is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #44
MountainMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Colorado and Texas (when invited ;))

Good luck Dale! You can do it brother! Treat yourself to an oryx or zebra at the Diamond C in January with all that extra cash!
MountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #45
Barn
Ten Point

It sure helped me to quit a 35+ year 2 can-a-day cope habit. Crazy dreams are as much a part of a quit as anything. Well worth the lack of sleep and such
Barn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #46
reconman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere, Anytime

The dreams thing kinda scares me... I have some pretty wild ummmmm, PTSDish dreams as it is. I only started smoking post Marine Corps, and I hate it but I love it for taking the edge off. I gotta find a way to quit this crap. I can barely run three straight miles anymore! Problem is, I dont have any desire to stop partaking in adult beverages when I want to.....
reconman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #47
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

3 days ago is two years for me. Could not have done it with out it. Only took the drug two weeks. Had crazy dreams but they were fun as heck. Very vivid. The dr that gave the px answered my complaint about the cost of it with, Well how much do you spend on cigs? So far I have saved 2400 bucks. I kept up with it and use it as an excuse to spend a little cash on my self as a reward. The rest I spend on my baby girl.
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #48
rjet
Pope & Young

Great thread.
Wife has a box here and is about to start to quit smoking. I need to have her read this thread.
I have a physical next week and am going to ask for a prescription to get off the copenhagen.
My brothers son-in-law used it to quit copenhagen earlier this year. He said it was real easy to quit with it. Said he enjoyed the dreams. LOL
rjet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #49
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

Never used this drug but I do know whatever you use you have to be ready. I quit last Aug. smoking 2 packs a day after 39 years. Wore the patch for 2 weeks ( was supposed to be 10 weeks) and then did cold turkey. Tried different ways before and just wasn't ready.
I finally put the **** away and cowboy'ed up. If I can do it anyone can.
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #50
crossbowman
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas, AR, MO, & KS

My wife had smoked a pack a day for 30 years and has been smoke-free for 3 years because of Chantix. I smoked a pack and a half for over 40 years and quit over a year ago with the help of Chantix. We had tried everything else and nothing worked, but the Chantix did. My wife had no side effects and all I had was really vivid, funny dreams. Not nightmares, just stupid dreams. Keep on trying and don't give up. You won't believe how happy you will be with yourself for quitting, not only for yourself, but for your family. Hang in there.
crossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top