Making my own string questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making my own string questions?

Thinking about assembling my own string but problem is not sure how hard it is. The people doing it in videos make it look easy. What are y'all thoughts on it.

Also which material/brand is optimal. Have a Sarrels Wildcatt 54" 54# @ 28" and 61 " 45# bow for fishing. I'm guessing both can use same string material?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

I have been thinking of getting back into this myself. It’s really not difficult, but the are so many different string and serving materials now that I find that confusing. We have someone on here that would be a great source of info and that’s Rick Barbee. Need blueprint for making a good string jig, info about new fast flight materials, and how many strands per pound. The only problem I remember having years ago was having the string come out the right length. I like my custom strings, but I’m spending a lot of money on them, plus it’s fun to make your own equipment. Come on Rick and others, let’s get this going!

Comment

It isn't hard at all, there is a learning curve though. The best part is the material is cheap enough you can make a few screw ups and practice runs and not break the bank.

There is formula for length with twist rate which helps get the strings the right length the first time. I have it written on my string jig, easy to find.

Just pick a good material, personally, I like 452X and Halo serving; but I'm not building stickbow strings either so I don't really know what material would be best.

Comment

I'm in for this too

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Comment

Make a Flemish Twist string jig according to easily found template out of 30" scrap board and finishing nails. Buy two 1/4 lb. spools of Browning B-55 waxed bowstring in two colors of your choice for around $13 from Lancaster Archery, a serving tool, and string wax.

That's really all you need. Not difficult at all. Rick Barbee has many videos on YouTube to help you out. Although he prefers more expensive string material than B-55.

Todd

Comment

It looks easy in the videos. It seems easy when you are thinking about it. It even seems easy when you start on one.
            But doing it well consistently takes a skilled hand and approach. That's not me really.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have made my own strings. Once you do it a few times, you'll find out it isn't too difficult. I did what twillgo recommended, bought some B-55 pretty cheap off ebay (free shipping) and made a few strings for some older bows. Jigs are pretty easy to make and twisting them is pretty easy, especially once you figure it out.

If there is somebody around you that has made them before, I recommend you meeting up and learning a couple little hints/tricks like keeping the individual strands untwisted when doing the Flemish loops etc. That one gets me most times - string is still good, just not as purdy.

The one thing that I haven't done and need to do is pony up some money so I can make my own D97 or better string for my black widow. I don't mind running B55 on my bow fishing rig (first string I ever made), but for my goto hunting bow, I want a faster string material for my hunting bow.

Comment

Thanks guys! Maybe I will give it a shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X