Public Service Reminder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Service Reminder

Its a good idea to have a quality glass breaker in your vehicle. I just witnessed a bad wreck where a driver was trapped in his car and not responding. The vehicle was smoking and some bystanders tried to break the windows with a 4 way tire iron. It kept bouncing off the glass so I grabbed my glass breaker. First hit it snapped in half. Cheap Chinese junk that was a gift. They ended up getting his door open and pulled him out. I think he was able to unlock it from the inside. I guess Karma got him bc he was the one who ran the red light.

I just ordered 6 new breakers from amazon to replace mine and give out to the family. I chose one shaped like a hammer with good reviews. My adrenaline is just now low enough that I can type.

Yall drive safely.

Looks like I posted it in the wrong forum if you want to move it moderators

Comment

Hit them in the corner.

Comment

Snap about a foot of the antenna off or just bend it over to the window if possible, hold it flat against the window with the palm of your hand and snap the ball into it in the corner. Boom

Comment

I used to have one that went on my keychain that went everywhere with me. Also, I will second what was said about the antenna. We used to teach that in extrication class. It works.

Comment

Peopl always under estimate how hard glass is to break!

Comment

Good job, glad you were there to help!

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
                Looks like I posted it in the wrong forum if you want to move it moderators
                Nah dude, pretty sure you Did It Yourself with that glass breaker

Good work.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
                  I used to have one that went on my keychain that went everywhere with me. Also, I will second what was said about the antenna. We used to teach that in extrication class. It works.

Just watched that on you tube. Pretty good to know

Comment

That's a good word.
                    Glass is heat tempered like steel so it can be very strong and difficult to break!
                    I've been able to see how they temper all sorts of glass at the Corning Glass Center and it is amazing stuff.

Comment

Not to distract from your post. But relevant I believe. A story from my early days as a firefighter.

We rolled up hot to a car that had flames rolling out of the hood area. A sizable crowd had gathered as the car burned freely. I jumped out of the Engine and grabbed a Halligan bar. In my bravado I went straight to the window and gave it a good hit. I dang near knocked myself out. I hit it two or three more times while the crowd laughed at my endeavors. Then I tried the handle. Amazingly it opened right up. In my embarrassment I learned the golden rule of “Try before you Pry”. I also learned some very valuable techniques to pop a window.

In addition to your window breaker, I highly recommend a seat belt cutter. And put one in your wife’s and kids vehicle. And teach them how to use it. The window and seatbelt are the two enemies that can be easily overcome but have cost many lives.

Thanks for the post

Comment

for safety week here at work, they handed this type of devices out... hope I never have to use it! https://www.amazon.com/GOOACC-Seatbe.../dp/B00JJBWMDO

Comment

Originally posted by Big_gun View Post
                          for safety week here at work, they handed this type of devices out... hope I never have to use it! https://www.amazon.com/GOOACC-Seatbe.../dp/B00JJBWMDO
                          That’s a lot like the kind I just bought. The one I had that failed was a combo type tool with the handle portion being a flashlight. It unscrewed in the middle to insert batteries and that plastic thread junction is where it failed first strike.

The solid handle is much sturdier. But I hope I never have to reach for it again.

Comment

Working...
                          X