Limestone county rut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limestone county rut?

I hunt close to the limestone/freestone county line about 10 miles east of Groesbeck. Has anybody been seeing any rut action in Limestone county? I've been told the peek rut is usually around the opening weekend of gun season... but, I figure with the cooler weather arriving today and the new moon on Sunday, the deer might be on their feet. What say you?

Also, any tips, tricks or any other info about the area and how to go about hunting the rut is much appreciated.

I'd say that's usually right, peak being late October early November. Seems like second rut is usually around Thanksgiving. Antler restrictions have worked very well in Limestone, deer can finally get some age. Good luck

Comment

Right now is usually when we see it picking up. Last weekend I had a buck grunting with his head up and truly chasing around several does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree that last of October and first of November is the first rut. This is my Leon county buck from 2 years ago. Just over 20 inches wide.
        Attached Files

Comment

The bucks are checking does out now. Rattled a buck up almost into the shop yesterday before he took off. Seeing alot of bucks crusing thru the yard checking the yard does.

Comment

The high count of roadside dead deer is a good indicator too.. Lol.

Comment

I've got a place on the Robertson/limestone line just off the lake. Last weekend there was 5 bucks together without a single doe on my place. Did see some of the better bucks...one road kill deer and some pets that came to a shaking bucket

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

We are 8 miles East of Groesbeck and bucks on our place are definitely in rut.

Comment

Saw the above deer again tonight chasing a doe in the same spot

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    Saw the above deer again tonight chasing a doe in the same spot

That cull needs skimming

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                      That cull needs skimming
                      My kid said that. Shaggy ole 7 needs a dirt nap. 10" twos or not!!

Comment

Limestone county rut?

Originally posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
                        We are 8 miles East of Groesbeck and bucks on our place are definitely in rut.

I was born and raised 8 miles east of groesbeck off 164 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
                          I agree that last of October and first of November is the first rut. This is my Leon county buck from 2 years ago. Just over 20 inches wide.
                          That is a Great Leon county buck..
                          I grew up hunting that county, just northwest of Marquez..
                          Saw a couple of true giants "back in the day"

Comment

Thanks. This came off the river bottom south west of Marquez. My buddy's daughter shot a 144 inch 8 point a couple of years ago there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
                              Thanks. This came off the river bottom south west of Marquez. My buddy's daughter shot a 144 inch 8 point a couple of years ago there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
                              Our place was on the Navasota river too, just below Limestone Dam, back when there were no hogs there. Imagine that.. Now when I look at that place on google earth it is all well locations and houses..

Comment

Working...
                              X