Processors That Cure Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Processors That Cure Bacon

Does anyone know of a processor in the Houston area that makes Bacon?

Has anyone made Bacon from a feral hog? I know the 'pork bellies' are to small, I'm thinking about bacon cured from the ham or the backstrap.

Thoughts?

Bacon comes from the flanks. Not enough good fat on wild hogs for bacon. If you barr a few maybe in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
      Bacon comes from the flanks. Not enough good fat on wild hogs for bacon. If you barr a few maybe in a few years.
      In domesticated pigs 'American' Bacon does come from the flank or the 'pork belly' but the Bacon Flavor is the 'Cure'. There is Turkey Bacon these days, Canadian Bacon is from the Ham, etc.

Does anybody now of someone that does a Bacon Cure?

Comment

I tried it on a FAT pig a few years ago. Turned out pretty good. Actually, most wild pigs have enough fat for bacon but not enough meat on the belly.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=449942

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
          In domesticated pigs 'American' Bacon does come from the flank or the 'pork belly' but the Bacon Flavor is the 'Cure'. There is Turkey Bacon these days, Canadian Bacon is from the Ham, etc.

Does anybody now of someone that does a Bacon Cure?
          Canadian bacon is made from the loin. The key part of regular bacon is the fat component. You can find Acorn fattened wild hogs with enough belly fat to make bacon but it would be year specific "awesome acorn crop". Your going to be really disappointed trying to make bacon out of a ham.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
            I tried it on a FAT pig a few years ago. Turned out pretty good. Actually, most wild pigs have enough fat for bacon but not enough meat on the belly.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=449942
            Thank you Justin. That turned out great in the pics! So it was good just the cure you used was too 'sweet' correct?

I guess I may start experimenting on my own but I really want to find a good processor that turns out a good product if I can.

Comment

Thank you Justin. That turned out great in the pics! So it was good just the cure you used was too 'sweet' correct?

I guess I may start experimenting on my own but I really want to find a good processor that turns out a good product if I can.
              Yessir. The longer it sat in the freezer the less sweet it was, but I think just a little less honey from the get go it would have been perfect. Now again, this pig has lots of fat, but you can see in the pics the fate overtook the muscle. Still good!

Comment

I will cure a backstrap or two into Canadian bacon. Have always just bought bellies for regular bacon

Comment

I make my own bacon . It’s pretty easy . I raise my own hogs or buy bellies. I won’t bother with wild hogs . But this year I’m going to try to make Canadian bacon. Will use the back strap

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                    Yessir. The longer it sat in the freezer the less sweet it was, but I think just a little less honey from the get go it would have been perfect. Now again, this pig has lots of fat, but you can see in the pics the fate overtook the muscle. Still good!
                    The pigs I have been shooting are FAT... but one of the reasons I want to do this is so I can have healthier bacon. I love bacon but I want more meat and less fat in my Bacon.

Originally posted by Austin View Post
                    I will cure a backstrap or two into Canadian bacon. Have always just bought bellies for regular bacon

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                    I make my own bacon . It’s pretty easy . I raise my own hogs or buy bellies. I won’t bother with wild hogs . But this year I’m going to try to make Canadian bacon. Will use the back strap
                    Consensus seems to be use the backstrap. Should I leave some of the backfat on it?

Comment

Somebody has Bacon made. If not in Houston area anywhere in greater East Texas?

Comment

Bacon is so easy to do. You can do it in your fridge. Just coat it with the cure and let it sit in fridge. Then take it out, wash it and either smoke it our just go to slicing it up.

How much you willing to pay? Someone here might make it for you. But like I said its so easy and requires little labor.

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                          Bacon is so easy to do. You can do it in your fridge. Just coat it with the cure and let it sit in fridge. Then take it out, wash it and either smoke it our just go to slicing it up.

How much you willing to pay? Someone here might make it for you. But like I said its so easy and requires little labor.
                          Well..does sound pretty easy.. lol So you are saying I should be looking for cure recipes instead and using google? lol

Comment

Does anyone know of a processor in the Houston area that makes Bacon?

Has anyone made Bacon from a feral hog? I know the 'pork bellies' are to small, I'm thinking about bacon cured from the ham or the backstrap.

Thoughts?
                            Fisher Ham and Meat Co.

5023 Spring Cypress Rd

Spring, Texas 77379

Call: 281-376-1644

Comment

Just DIY. Curing in the fridge is pretty straight forward. An inexpensive electric smoker is a nice thing to have in general if you don't already own a smoker.

Then... you can cure other things than just Canadian bacon... my favorite is venison pastrami.... mmmmmmm!

Comment

Working...
                              X