where to find good hunting/hiking boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where to find good hunting/hiking boots

I don't love close to any large cities and would rather not just buy blindly online. Does anyone know where you can go see and try on any of the "better" brands of boots that are offered? Looking for something ideal for a 2019 CO elk hunt.

also, insulated or non insulated for September archery?

Comment

Well, Shreveport is less than 50 miles from Carthage, where you list your location. They have an Academy, which carries Salamon, a premium hiking brand. If they don't have the exact model you want, you'll at least know how their sizes run to order online!

Saw an interesting approach to trying out boots on You Tube. Guy ordered a couple of different brands and tried them out walking up and down a hill behind his house. In order to be able to return them unharmed, he put two pairs of tube socks on the OUTSIDE of the boots to do his hiking tests.

Comment

Originally posted by abilliott View Post
        also, insulated or non insulated for September archery?

Non insulated. Went 18 days this year in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

the internet is your friend.. check it out once or twice.

Comment

I bought Irish setter boots non insulated ( the ones they run in tv) and no break in time and they were perfect for my elk hunt in Idaho last sept. Ran about $100. Only thing order 1/2 size bigger than normal.

Comment

Forgot to mention I have a pair of asolos. I’ve put over 100 miles on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

May try and REI if one is close

Comment

Amazon. Irish setter treks. You'll love the no break in and light as a feather for hunting. They have insulated and non insulated. I have the non insulated and love them.

Comment

I am on my third pair of Solomon Quest 4D 3 GTX boots. I have purchased last two pairs from Amazon after buying my first pair from REI. Last year I logged 100+ miles in the mountains of Southern Colorado chasing elk in them.

That said, different boots fit individuals differently. As such, I'd recommend trying on any pair before you purchase.

Additionally, regarding insulated vs. non-insulated boots, non-insulated is the way to go for your hunt. Short of being below 0 degrees and in heavy snow or sitting in a deer blind all day in super cold conditions, a non-insulated boot with a heavy weight pair of merino wool socks will be plenty sufficient.

Comment

Like high-end hunting clothes, there isn't a place that has ALL of the top notch footwear brands. REI has the best selection I know of.

Another vote for Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX boots as well and love them. 48 miles and no issues or blisters in S Colorado this month; probably 75 miles total for the year.

Non-Insulated.

Comment

After hearing all the suggestions the Salomon are what I am leaning to. Next time we head to houston or dallas i'll be stopping by an REI to try some one. Thanks so much for all the help everyone.

Comment

I have moved to lighter shoes and got them from REI. I have a high instep, high arches, wide forefoot and narrow to medium heel. I was running Danner Mountain light II at over 4 lbs a pair. Now running Altra Lone Peak 3.5 at 1.5 lbs a pair. Still blew out a knee scrambling up a 600 ft steep ridge a little fast but I am staying with the Altras until something better comes along.

Comment

I Probably have over 200 miles in 3 elk trips on my Danners. They are my go-to boot for Texas hunting also. I’ve had them 5 years and they just flat perform. I recommend them.

Comment

Wish I had these whwn I was in the Marines. I wear them at work mow, best boots I have ever owned. Most comfortsble too. Been using them for about 7yrs now. Kinda pricey but long lasting and well worth it in the end.
                              Also used by British SAS

Comment

Working...
                              X