Clear All

pic

here ya go
    Attached Files

Comment

50 grit grinding to start,keep it wet and cool
      Attached Files

Comment

Man... How did I not see this. Kinda like watching a baby being born.

Well almost anyhow........

Can't wait to follow along but take your time Terry and take care of that knee.

Comment

do you care to explain the grinding jig? I scribed a center line then did my stock removal with a hand file. this looks faster, easier, and more accurate

Comment

The jig is just a stop for the plunge cut to keep it straight

Comment

following

Comment

ok got it finished up to 280 and drilled the holes for the pins,now ready for heat treat and temper.gonna try and get that done and stabilize the scales tomorrow
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks mucho bueno...

Comment

made this diy stabilizing chamber,saw the how to on youtube,works pretty good but im def in the market for an electric pump now lol.cant pronounce or spell the type of wood that's in there but seems to be getting all the air out,maybe terry will chime in on this exotic and rare wood he sent me for his knife.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The wood that Paintman is using is Afzelia Ley Burl aka Xyla Ley from the country of Laos. Very rare indeed.

Pretty ingenious using a brake bleeder pump and a mason jar as a vacuum pot. I have seen alot of other methods used but not that one.

What are you using as a stabilizing chemical?

Comment

minwax wood hardener,eventually ill be getting some cactus juice and I tried auto clear which worked pretty good but was a big mess to clean up,already ruined my wifes meat tenderizer bowl using the clearcoat

Comment

Originally posted by paintman View Post
                          minwax wood hardener,eventually ill be getting some cactus juice and I tried auto clear which worked pretty good but was a big mess to clean up,already ruined my wifes meat tenderizer bowl using the clearcoat
                          Works just fine and probably some of the same stuff as well as cheaper. I also know of knifemakers using Minwax polycrylic and that stuff sure does give the wood a shine.

Comment

Actually bout the same price as the cactus juice.the knife I made my wife was the auto clear.with the mason jar pot it may not be so messy to use the clear coat but without a better vacuum pump I think the clear will dry too fast.I'm gonna leave those scales under vacuum all night to make sure all the air comes out

Comment

How much of a vacuum were you able to draw? I tried a very similar setup using an airtight acrylic canister I got from Bed Bath and Beyond and I could not get it past 18 using that same HF brake bleeder. The canister was about 3 times the size of your mason jar and I pumped that sucker forever! I have given up on it until I can get a better vacuum pump but now you have me thinking I may be able to get by with the hand pump if I switch to a smaller container. Judging by the picture it looks like you got it up to at least 20.

Comment

Ya just a tad past 20.but I'm definitely in the market for an electric pump Cruz your right about having to pump the crap out of that thing.my forearms are feeling it today lol

Comment

Working...
                                X