No announcement yet.

Keeping cows off of your property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had that problem once and I warned the land owner 3 times and told the sherif once the next time he lost 3.
    He had fair warning and finally got it fixed.

Comment

If it's only 50 feet put T post every 5 feet from each other, so total 10 T posts and then put 4 strands of barb wire top to bottom. I would make him fix it or lease it out to him and get some profit off of it.

Comment

Some of y'all would be crappy neighbors to have

Comment

Originally posted by BoneDigger View Post
          Problem is, I'm not familiar with building barbed wire fences and it looks like it's about a 50 or 60 ft section that's down. I'm sure it's not hard, and I'd love to learn how, but at this time I know nothing about it.
          start with a GOOD pair of gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
            Some of y'all would be crappy neighbors to have
            Yep! ^^^^^

Comment

I would put up hot wire fence. It's cheap and easy. You could even use trees to put your wire on instead of using rods in the ground.

Comment

I guess that I took it for granted how good of neighbors I have.

Comment

Marion and Harrison are both fence out counties
                  I bet yours is also

Comment

Problem is, I'm not familiar with building barbed wire fences and it looks like it's about a 50 or 60 ft section that's down. I'm sure it's not hard, and I'd love to learn how, but at this time I know nothing about it.
                    Is the old wire still there or has it been just completely tore up? If existing wire is still there you can probably just patch it up using the old wire and just a few short pieces of new wire to splice it up. And 5 feet between t posts is a bit excessive I would suggest every 10 feet between t posts and then use cedar or twist stays between that and even that is a bit excessive. Highly suggest 4 strands but if existing fence is only 3 would just run with that. Also this may turn into a bigger issue than you may hope for, as soon as you get that section of fence patched up good enough to keep the cows out they are probably going to find another weak point in the fence and tear it up and so on until it is bullet proof through out.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                      This

We split all of ours with our neighbors anytime something needs fixed or replaced. They have cattle and we don't but we still split the cost of fences
                      They should split the cost when they sell their calfs at auction ?

Comment

I own cattle and I have neighbors that do not. They don't give 2 poops about the fence as they are in it for the hunting only. To each his own, but fence is all mine as they don't care. Rest assured I will screw them over any chance I get.

Comment

50 to 60' should be a breeze. It's really not that difficult. Heck youtube has some pretty good videos on it. You should be able to do that with one roll maybe a little more if you go less than 4 strands.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                            I own cattle and I have neighbors that do not. They don't give 2 poops about the fence as they are in it for the hunting only. To each his own, but fence is all mine as they don't care. Rest assured I will screw them over any chance I get.
                            Please explain. I think I'm missing something.

Comment

We have over 20 miles of shared fence and out of all of that one guy has 620 feet he is the only one who will not help in the cost of repairs.
                              Contact the owner offer to help fix it. You learn cows taken care of. All he can do is say no.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                                50 to 60' should be a breeze. It's really not that difficult. Heck youtube has some pretty good videos on it. You should be able to do that with one roll maybe a little more if you go less than 4 strands.
                                There is usually around 1300 feet in a roll, if he uses a full roll to do 4 strands at 60 feet a piece he is doing something terribly wrong.

More than likely I imagine your neighbor running the cows would be more than willing to give you a half roll of wire or whatever extra he has laying around to get it patched up. I would try to avoid buying a full roll of wire to fix 300 feet worth of wire. If he is a decent neighbor he will let you have the materials if you will put it up, I know I would if I was the neighbor.

Comment

Working...
                                X