No announcement yet.

Carbon Express splitting at the insert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use a better saw to cut your shafts and stop shooting phone books if you want your arrows to last.

I'm really cheap when it comes to paying for targets. But Phone Books.... you can do better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
      Richard, PM address and I'll send you some 2216's.
      PM sent and thank you.

Richard.

Comment

Richard, one of the best archery investments I ever made was an arrow saw. It hurt like a big dog when I got it but I only had to pay for it once. Probably close to 15 years old now and still works like a champ. There are certainly less expensive ways to cut arrows, but it has paid off for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
          Use a better saw to cut your shafts and stop shooting phone books if you want your arrows to last.

I'm really cheap when it comes to paying for targets. But Phone Books.... you can do better than that.
          I'm pretty sure he's realized that by now. [emoji6] I bought this target in late January or early February and it gets 250 to 400 arrows a week. Field points only. (Have a second pos target for those.) I haven't even shot the other side yet. It's holding up very well. It was a hundred bucks.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

This is the saw. As long as you rotate a little as you cut and don't force it you will get clean and square ends.

Comment

I have a few carbon Beman ICS Hunters 500 that split at the insert because I hit something hard like a rock. I repaired them by driving about 1 1/2" of an aluminum shaft over the end like a footing. It was a very tight fit and I had to chamfer the inside edge of the aluminum shaft and the outside edge on the arrow that split. I did not have to glue it as it was a tight fit. I was able to carefully drive about 1 1/2" of the aluminum shaft over the carbon shaft. Turned out to be a great fix. I believe it was a 2213 aluminum shaft I used over the Beman ICS Hunter 500 shaft. Initially it appears as though it won't fit but after chamfering the edges it allowed the aluminum shaft to very tightly begin to slip over the carbon shaft, but it does have to be driven on. Then cut off the excess aluminum shaft and re-glue the insert back into the carbon shaft. I am sure not all carbons have the same OD so this fix may not be the same for your arrows.
              Last edited by Straitshot; 04-27-2017, 12:15 PM.

Comment

I'll have to post a pic of my arrow saw some time. A saw horse, 4" grinder with cut off wheel, 2- clamps, and piece of 2x4 with a hole drilled a 1/2" deep. Works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigthumper View Post
                  I'll have to post a pic of my arrow saw some time. A saw horse, 4" grinder with cut off wheel, 2- clamps, and piece of 2x4 with a hole drilled a 1/2" deep. Works great.
                  Now that's redneck!

Comment

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

I use a home made cutter from an old ryobi "dremmel" type tool that I had for years, and kind of have like swamp rabbits set up, and use a G5 square tool to finish them after they are cut.

Comment

Working...
                        X