No announcement yet.

Dixie Chicken - Salvaged Barn Wood Box Blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I appreciate everyone's words of encouragement. Funny, I am a lurker deluxe on this site and have watched some incredible DIY projects unfold without commenting. I think I will start commenting.

The next step after the floor was stained was to cut the one 1x out to make room for where the door will go. The door also came from the old barn and it will look pretty cool. I found some heavy duty hinges up there as well. These required some clean up, but will work perfect. If all goes well, the door will be attached this weekend.

After removing the 1x section I started on the frame. I used all treated 1xs with exception to the shooting rails on the front and sides. For these I used treated 2x4s. I used treated as these shooting rails will more than likely get wet and they offer a nice shelf to but important things on when hunting like binoculars....what were you thinking?

I agonized over how I was going to frame this with 1xs and make it square. I also was unsure how the first few corner pieces would hold while I attached the supporting cross pieces. The answer was in c-clamps and small blocks of wood. Much to my surprise this thing took shape fairly quickly....and it is pretty square...which I found out is not all that important because of the barn wood I would be working with.

Attached are a bunch of pictures of the frame in progress and the completed frame with stain right before I started the fun step... selecting the right barn board to cover this thing up!

In case you are wondering, I am not worried about the excess length of the frame... I will cut these off when I move onto the roof phase. Don't get ahead of me!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Framebegins1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	24309043

Name:	Moreframe1.jpg
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	24309040

Name:	Evenmoreframe1.jpg
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	24309041

Name:	frameandtruck1.jpg
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	24309042

This is the frame all done and stained for the most part....next step is the barn boards.

Name:	Framealldone1.jpg
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	24309044

Comment

I have an old building that a Hugh tree fell on. So it still lays there today because of the snakes I think that are there. Good job on yours

Comment

Looking good. Who is going to get the first crack at Megatron out of it?

Comment

Man that is going to be a beast

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
            Looking good. Who is going to get the first crack at Megatron out of it?
            Megatron? That suggests a big deer lurks.... this blind is an East Tx blind and everyone on TBH knows one thing.... there are no deer in East Tx! Hence the comfty blind I am building for those long deerless sits.

Comment

I've built, and seen built, a LOT of deer blinds.....but I gotta admit this is the first one I've seen stained!

Very nice, sir!

Comment

Coming along nicely

Comment

Agreed on the stain!

looks good

Comment

This is gonna be awesome.. Can't wait to see the finished product

Comment

East TX or not, you know if you let tbgascorer sit in it, nothing will be shot anyway
                      But you will got lots of good video......

Comment

reduce

reuse

recycle

I'm a fan. Subscribed.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                          Megatron? That suggests a big deer lurks.... this blind is an East Tx blind and everyone on TBH knows one thing.... there are no deer in East Tx! Hence the comfty blind I am building for those long deerless sits.
                          Yes, need comfy for the sleepy nephews. After all, it's tough hunting the East Texas pine donkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggies12 View Post
                            East TX or not, you know if you let tbgascorer sit in it, nothing will be shot anyway
                            But you will got lots of good video......
                            LOL, yeah they pretty much have to be 12.5+, toothless, one horned, and dragging a leg for me to shoot.

Comment

Looking good. Following...

Comment

Okay... major progress was made on the Dixie Chicken... I will post some good pictures later. I did discover that I will be short some wood. I was seconds away from cutting into this old interior door (to use wood for sides) when I had a brain storm... could this piece of wood serve a higher and better purposes. The answer was YES. How cool would it be to hang horizontally from a wall and mount two or three deer heads on the wood? I was thinking two bucks and a doe? Of course.... this sidebar DIY project would require substantial will power from Crown Royal and late night Drury Brother DVDs.... said another.... no sleeping in! Thoughts? Would this work?

Name:	photo (9)15.jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	24309461

Anyway... back to the main project with some pictures later.

Comment

Working...
                                X