Gas grills.. Repair or Replace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas grills.. Repair or Replace

What do you do(Repair or replace) ?? I pressure washed and cleaned my 7 year old Weber Genesis S-330 last week and decided it was time to replace a few parts that had seen better days. I ordered new stainless steel burners and sear burner, stainless steel flavorizing bars, and a new battery operated ignition system. It all came to a total of about 180.00 bucks to replace the main parts. I took a drill with a wire brush and cleaned the stainless steel grates and they should last at least another 7 years. I keep it covered and under my patio so the outside of the grill looks great after cleaning with bar keepers friend. Do you think it is better to go the cheaper route with a cheaper grill and just buy a new one every 2 or 3 years or spend more up front on a better quality grill and replace the parts when they rust out .

I believe you are better off with the quality grill. Even if it costs you a little more, it is not worth the aggravation and burnt food . To me , it is important to have a quality grill that cooks evenly and has less chance of flareups.

Not to say you can't save money and cook well on a cheap grill, but it is more difficult.

Comment

I try to get above middle grade but not top grade. I had a grill for 6 years, one of those true infa-red grills with the metal plate between the burner and the grill slats. It worked well for years but eventually rusted out. They use cheap metal and over time around the burner it rusts.

I went with a griddle this time, Blue rhino razor, it’s been real fun, cook anything, normal grill stuff, eggs, pancakes, vegetables, tortillas, and it’s leaving the meat very juicy. I try new things every once in a while and glad I did. Maybe you can find some thing used in good shape and try it for a year or two to bridge the gap vs buying new “high grade”.

Comment

I've been in the "buy a cheap gas grill and replace it every 2-3 years" camp. I saw my son cooking on his gas griddle the other day and was very impressed by it.
        When my present cheap Charbroil grill plays out, I plan on buying one of those.

Comment

If it’s the aluminum housing Weber, replace parts and keep going. Those grills are awesome. If it’s the thin stuff, just get a good grill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Any gas grill will eventually need new burners, and you should have gotten the replacement burners at least pro-rated, since they are warranted for 10 years. The flavorizer bars (tents) are intended to be sacrificial and will need replacing every 3-5 years. The bottom and sides of that grill are cast aluminum and should essentially last forever -- the bottom is what rusts out of every other grill. Having sold Webers for over 20 years, I would say that the average life is 12-15 years, according to hundreds of actual customers I talked with over that time. More to the point: the grills cook great while lasting a long time. Virtually every customer I talked to who was finally replacing a previous Weber, proceeded to buy yet another Weber.

In summary, you have the right grill. Things will need to be replaced from time to time, but the alternative cheapos out there have short lives and are a pain to cook with while you have them.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
              Any gas grill will eventually need new burners, and you should have gotten the replacement burners at least pro-rated, since they are warranted for 10 years. The flavorizer bars (tents) are intended to be sacrificial and will need replacing every 3-5 years. The bottom and sides of that grill are cast aluminum and should essentially last forever -- the bottom is what rusts out of every other grill. Having sold Webers for over 20 years, I would say that the average life is 12-15 years, according to hundreds of actual customers I talked with over that time. More to the point: the grills cook great while lasting a long time. Virtually every customer I talked to who was finally replacing a previous Weber, proceeded to buy yet another Weber.

In summary, you have the right grill. Things will need to be replaced from time to time, but the alternative cheapos out there have short lives and are a pain to cook with while you have them.
              This sums up my thoughts as well. Big Weber fan here after dealing with all those ‘el cheapo’s. I got longer life on my by “burning off” and cleaning it After every cook.

Comment

Weber fan here too. My Weber Genesis cooks very evenly with few flare ups. Besides solid sturdy build, and longetivity, it cooks great food. My last Weber lasted approximately 15 years and was still going strong when I gave it away.

Comment

I like getting a new grill every so often. Usually when things like this pop up. I typically give my old one to a young family or whoever drives by my mailbox and wants it.

Comment

I'll be replacing parts on my four burner Genesis grill. It has the best heat control of any grill that I have ever owned. Mine is about four or five years old now and kept inside when not being used. The only problem that I had was a flare up when I let the flavorizer bars get a little built up. That ruined the thermometer. I bought a new one and now keep a closer eye on it when preheating.

I would much rather put a few hundred dollars into keeping a thousand dollar grill working than to go drop another grand plus sales tax.

Comment

Sounds like you are set for another several years. I wouldn't intentionally buy a grill that I thought was going to crump in 2-3yrs.

Comment

It's so funny this topic came up, I just bought all new guts for my five plus year old Weber last week.

Comment

I think replacing parts on a good grill is the way to go also.
                          I just bought a Weber Genesis 3 and put a set of Grillgrates on it. Best total set up I’ve had yet. Absolutely no flare up grilling greasy burgers last night with the Grillgrates.

Comment

All parts finally arrived and re-assembled. Cleaned with Bar Keepers Friend on the out side and should be more than ready for another 7 years. I actually bought and Lowes delivered and assembled this grill on July 4th week in 2013. I don`t know how hot this will get, but I turned it down after getting to 650° and it was still climbing slowly. It will easily run at 500° with 2 burners all day long. I`m done. Have a safe 4th of July.

[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                            X