Oil rigging question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil rigging question

I have been wanting to go into the oil rig career for since for years.

Have been wondering, how did some of you guys get in? Was it hard or was it just having the experience in some areas helped you get in?

I currently have no experience in the oil rigging. But I do have experience in welding, mechanics, leadership, and currently work as a Ramp Supervisor for Alaska Airlines in Austin. So I have experience with equipment, following safety, planning, pressure, and weather.
    College didn’t go so well for me, so I went straight for working to gain the experiences.

I just would like some tips from those who are in the oil industry, on what to expect to land a career in the oil rigging.

Thanks,

What’s oil rigging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You'll probably have to start at the bottom and learn the business and make contacts. I assume you mean working on a drilling rig or some other type of rig like work over or maybe with a Frac crew.
      When I did it years ago, I started out as a shop helper with a small drilling company. I was gradually moved to moving the rigs and then to actually working on the floor of the drilling rig. I also got a side job in a wireline crew.

Comment

Right now you could prob get a rig hand job pretty easy. Everyone is ramping up so workers, good workers, are needed. West Texas you can have one arm and half a leg and get a rig hand job. Good luck in your search

Comment

Have you applied?

Comment

Just be able to handle being jacked with and a lot of foul language.
            A day on a rig is not a tea party.

Comment

Seems to be fairly easy to get into certain areas like the Permian if you have a commercial drivers license with some endorsements. That along with some of your mechanical skills could possibly get you on a frac crew. Other trucking jobs could be less difficult to obtain do to the current infrastructure limitations. See so many job fair type adds.
              Your best bet would be to spend a week or so in towns around the busiest parts of the basin. Most of the drilling type jobs you are better off trying to convince a driller that you should be on his crew. He will then have to convince his pusher you need to be on the location.

Comment

I haven’t applied yet, because I’m still deciding on where I would like to go first.

Comment

Stay in the field your in.

Comment

College didn’t go so well huh?

Could’ve fooled me ��

Comment

How old are you?

Comment

QUOTE=TalonErickson7;13459852]How old are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I am 25

Comment

Originally posted by Deafishunter View Post
                          QUOTE=TalonErickson7;13459852]How old are you?

I am 25[/QUOTE]

I am 25 as well. I’ve been working on a rig since I was 18. Just in my opinion I would not get into the oil field at the age you are at. I believe it is a good way to start making money while younger and get some work experience under your belt but for my self I just had my first son and I want nothing more then to get out to be home with my family. The money is good but I can almost guarantee if you start tomorrow and 10 years from now you are still in you are going to wish you would have taken a different career path that has you home every night with your family. I suggest looking into another line of work. If you want to make a career out of it and stay working out of town for many years PM I have a ton of connections from old Toolpusher and HR ladies. Just a FYI it isn’t called Oil Rigging hand haha

Comment

If I were you I'd try to get on with one of the mid size or larger service companies as a frac hand. and if you have a pulse and can pass a drug test anyone will hire you out here. we can't seem to get people to work fast enough to keep up.

Comment

Originally posted by MBV77 View Post
                              What’s oil rigging?

That’s what the government does when gas goes up $1 a gallon because someone ****** the bed last night!

Comment

Working...
                              X