Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-31-2018, 01:45 AM   #1
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co, Panola Co, TX
Default "The River and the Wall" Trumps borderwall and wildlife.

First let me start by saying, this isn't an argument for or against the wall. This is aimed at being a mere discussion on what impact the wall would have on wildlife along the border or if we should even care.

I voted for Trump and believe everything he stands for as far as our country goes. I have been following Ben Masters from Fin and Fur films about documentaries on numerous species of wildlife in the state of Texas. He has a new short film coming out this year titled, "The River and the Wall." I was all for a wall, and still think I am in some form, but after reading more into this idea that the wall would have a negative impact on all wildlife involved has me intrigued. Should we even care? Should we just put the stop of illegal immigrantion first and let the wildlife adapt accordingly? I don't have the answers, but I really wanted to get opinions from a group of hunters that share the same passion for pursuing and killing Animals in Deep South Texas, as well as Mexico. I realize the ranches have their own water systems, but anyone who says the river isn't the lifeline for most wildlife down there are kidding themselves.

So being that we have hunters that hunt both sides of the proposed border wall, what are yalls opinions? Should we care about if it affects wildlife? Will it not be enough to even worry about? Or will we completely alter the livelihood of many species along the river. I don't know, but I think it would be cool to get different opinions on the subject. I have hunted in Del Rio, but not close enough to consider it, "on the border." I encourage y'all to look into Ben Masters work, he's a pretty sharp guy when it comes to wildlife.

Here is a link to the trailer

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...le.com%2F&_rdr
TheHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 01:49 AM   #2
TheHammer
Ten Point

Here is a link to part National Geographic used.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=smeoiCqS_YU
Old 05-31-2018, 07:50 AM   #3
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

We shouldn't care.
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 07:52 AM   #4
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

Unfortunately for me the well being of humans comes before the well being of wildlife. That being said, I would think it would have a positive impact on the wildlife and would alleviate a lot of the trash that is left behind for the wildlife to swallow and die from. There is plenty of water on the ranches for the wildlife and they will adapt pretty easily. What it will affect is the wildlife that move back and forth across the border.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 07:56 AM   #5
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I feel bad for the Americans that have land that will could end up on the wrong side of the wall. Wildlife will adapt and survive.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 07:57 AM   #6
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Maybe the wall will finally keep those pesky black panthers from migrating to East Texas.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 07:59 AM   #7
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co

I don’t think we will have to worry about it. I really don’t think it will ever get done.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 08:00 AM   #8
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Build the wall, the animals will adapt . Nature always does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 08:18 AM   #9
jlinville
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee Co.

I've often thought that if we as a country enforced laws and quit giving the handouts to people here illegally, the wall would not be a necessity.
jlinville is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 08:18 AM   #10
TheHammer
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
I feel bad for the Americans that have land that will could end up on the wrong side of the wall. Wildlife will adapt and survive.
I tend to agree with this. Animals have adapted to millions of changes.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:19 AM   #11
TheHammer
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post

I lean this way myself.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:27 AM   #12
Encinal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Spite of Wife's Complaints

Anyone that thinks a wall is going to get built from Pacific to Rio Grande is delusional.
Encinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 08:31 AM   #13
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

Build the wall! If we keep allowing millions of people in that will eventually vote Democrat you can kiss your hunting / guns goodbye just like in Mexico so you wonít give much thought to wildlife anyway. They will find a way to manage most of the wildlife, itís not like we have massive migrations of animals from Mexico to the US From one season to another.

OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 08:31 AM   #14
RGV Hunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can go legally

I don't think the wall will ever get done. The fence that they have now keeps larger animals on one side or the other and they adapted.

I voted for Trump but not for reasons of building the wall but for other reasons. I am not encouraging people to come here illegally but rather do it legally.

The way I see it, if people are still coming that means things are still good here. It's when they stop coming that we will have something to worry about. That would mean that things are not that good here anymore.
RGV Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 08:32 AM   #15
SAC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca, Fayette & Colorado Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlinville View Post
I've often thought that if we as a country enforced laws and quit giving the handouts to people here illegally, the wall would not be a necessity.
This
SAC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 08:34 AM   #16
dphillips62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mission Valley, Victoria, and anywhere else I can sling an arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinal View Post
Anyone that thinks a wall is going to get built from Pacific to Rio Grande is delusional.
I agree
Even if Trump gets reelected 8 years will not be enough time to complete it from pacific to the gulf.
dphillips62 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 08:39 AM   #17
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb/Jim Hogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinal View Post
I don't see the wall reaching South Texas "as much as I would like to" but not likely. And I don't think wild life depend on the Rio Grand for a main source of water exclusively. At least not with in the immediate vicinity anyway or Deep South Texas. Perhaps in far west Texas where ranching is not as prevalent as it is here.

Here's my perspective. If illegals can cross and make it past the check points in the brush drinking well water from a canoga so can wild life "especially wildlife".
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 08:52 AM   #18
Pkripper
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Colorado

Quote:
Exactly

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Pkripper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 09:17 AM   #19
LAW
Eight Point

Hunt In: Salado,Junction

Quote:
same here
LAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 09:22 AM   #20
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

I've had a civil discussion with Ben about this subject. I confronted him on the fact he uses Big Bend area as a scare tactic regarding the border wall yet there would never be a wall in that area as it is not a passage point for illegals. He didn't want to discuss that and pointed out that they could decide to put the wall thru that area at a later date. I agreed and said when that discussion happens let's visit the issues regarding that. Until then let's just discuss what IS being done now.
Take Dead Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 09:25 AM   #21
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

I doubt it would hurt wildlife at all? The only animals crossing the river are an occasional black bear or mountain lion or maybe a LF deer sometimes. We don't have a mass migration like Africa does so what would it stop? Migratory birds go over it so no harm there.
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 09:29 AM   #22
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Mother Nature finds a away. Don't need a continuous wall. Just strategically placed walls where needed.
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 09:44 AM   #23
TheHammer
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
I've had a civil discussion with Ben about this subject. I confronted him on the fact he uses Big Bend area as a scare tactic regarding the border wall yet there would never be a wall in that area as it is not a passage point for illegals. He didn't want to discuss that and pointed out that they could decide to put the wall thru that area at a later date. I agreed and said when that discussion happens let's visit the issues regarding that. Until then let's just discuss what IS being done now.
I gotta be hones, I didn't even think about the wall not even going through that part. Good point.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:45 AM   #24
TheHammer
Ten Point

So no one thinks it would affect the new Bighorn sheep that have been introduced? I sure would love for us to have a good huntable population
Old 05-31-2018, 10:00 AM   #25
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

Seems to me that with all the technology and drones, the gubment could go about protecting the border without any wall. Ever 100 miles or so build a drone station and let the BP patrol it with thermal imaging drones. If a coyote did bring in a group of people they could follow them and set up a trap for them. Then again I have no idea what I am talking about, just a simple view of things.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 10:19 AM   #26
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

The wall won't get built, and it doesn't need to.

We need to start prosecuting people who use illegals. That means go to Home Depot, watch the workers get picked up, stop that truck, and make sure everything is legal. Make the temp visa program more accessible like it was under Obama. Then enforce laws already on the book; if they overstay, they get sent home, and are not allowed back for a certain period of time. If they are found here illegally a second time, they get locked up for a certain amount of time.

Once you have stopped the flow stemming from coming here for work, go after criminals running drugs and trafficking people. This can be done with our military, and we can bring them home from battling those sand diggers in the middle east, and let our boys sleep on their home turf.

The wall doesn't need to be built, and shouldn't be built. Enforcement of current laws would go a lot further compared to a wall being built. A wall being built would impact who knows how many thousands of species and people.
WItoTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 10:49 AM   #27
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

There will never be a wall built on the Rio. Farm and ranch programs that would support a boundary-free of overgrowth for 3-500 yards along the river where possible would sure help.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 10:51 AM   #28
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

If you consider a wall stretching from California to the tip of Texas there could possibly be an impact on some of the wildlife. I am not educated enough on the subject of wildlife and their travel patterns to say it would or would not effect any of them.

On a separate note, but related to the wall discussion, this is an interesting video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jRihEaftS0M

Last edited by Pedernal; 05-31-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 11:02 AM   #29
HeyMikey
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
^^ I couldn't agree more

Quote:
That's an awfully big "IF", which means it'll never come to pass.
BUILD THE WALL!!
HeyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 11:44 AM   #30
TheHammer
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post

We need to start prosecuting people who use illegals. That means go to Home Depot, watch the workers get picked up, stop that truck, and make sure everything is legal. Make the temp visa program more accessible like it was under Obama. Then enforce laws already on the book; if they overstay, they get sent home, and are not allowed back for a certain period of time. If they are found here illegally a second time, they get locked up for a certain amount of time.

Once you have stopped the flow stemming from coming here for work, go after criminals running drugs and trafficking people. This can be done with our military, and we can bring them home from battling those sand diggers in the middle east, and let our boys sleep on their home turf.

The wall doesn't need to be built, and shouldn't be built. Enforcement of current laws would go a lot further compared to a wall being built. A wall being built would impact who knows how many thousands of species and people.
So you think the wall would impact negatively on wildlife in the area?
Old 05-31-2018, 11:53 AM   #31
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

I do think it would impact wildlife. Pronghorn, bighorn, bears and cats. Would the impact harm populations? I don't know. We do a pretty good job managing these populations on our side of the line. The wall itself seems like a dumb idea to me. Boots on the ground and as it's already been mentioned, enforce the laws we already have.

Last edited by Stoof; 05-31-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 12:02 PM   #32
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:

There's very little that you post on here that I agree with, but on this one, you're spot on. I had a ranch that I leased for 31 years that had over 8 miles of Rio Grande River frontage south of Del Rio. Back when "W" was president, the various agencies post 911 that were involved with homeland security started a pilot program using some gubment grants and other support in the "Del Rio sector" of the Rio Grande called "Zero-Tolerance". Val Verde county with the assistance from these grants built a brand spankin' new jail similar to what Sheriff Joe did out in Arizona. It was cinder block buildings high fences with razor wire, etc. Everyone caught crossing the border was prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for not only illegally crossing the border, but they did complete background checks on them and threw the book at 'em and locked 'em up. The very minimum time they spent in this lock up was 6 months. Border crossings in the 8 mile section we had in this sector went from thousands/month to less than 10/month...

If you build the wall and you don't patrol it and watch it with various technologies, it will just be climbed or tunneled under... so it still takes the manpower to do that. If you're gonna do that, you don't need the wall. What is needed is enforce the dang laws we have now!

Further to the wildlife, the problem with the area where we hunted, and where the main ranch headquarters had large farming operations right on the river is that the proposed wall route put much of the river valley on the MEXICO side of the wall!! Where I hunted would be on the wrong side of the wall, and it was thousands of acres. The proposal was to put "gates" or portals in it to allow for passage of workers/tractors/equipment, etc... with NO regard for wildlife. Wildlife indeed migrates up and down the river. Our property was just south of the city of Del Rio and our deer/turkey/exotic population was much higher than the lower part of the ranch because once wildlife got to that part of the ranch, town cut them off from going farther... It was a good thing for we hunters, but having that wall all up and down the area, would be a very bad thing for wildlife in restricting their natural movements.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 12:11 PM   #33
chopsknives
Associate Sponsor

I used to work the border from Brownsville to Laredo and the farmers and ranchers had small shacks with provisions for migrant workers - HAD - Once the illegal immigrants from south of Mexico started coming in they would stop at the little shacks and then look for the big house and once they found it....

No matter what the impact I say build the wall
chopsknives is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 12:27 PM   #34
Pkripper
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
There's very little that you post on here that I agree with, but on this one, you're spot on. I had a ranch that I leased for 31 years that had over 8 miles of Rio Grande River frontage south of Del Rio. Back when "W" was president, the various agencies post 911 that were involved with homeland security started a pilot program using some gubment grants and other support in the "Del Rio sector" of the Rio Grande called "Zero-Tolerance". Val Verde county with the assistance from these grants built a brand spankin' new jail similar to what Sheriff Joe did out in Arizona. It was cinder block buildings high fences with razor wire, etc. Everyone caught crossing the border was prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for not only illegally crossing the border, but they did complete background checks on them and threw the book at 'em and locked 'em up. The very minimum time they spent in this lock up was 6 months. Border crossings in the 8 mile section we had in this sector went from thousands/month to less than 10/month...

If you build the wall and you don't patrol it and watch it with various technologies, it will just be climbed or tunneled under... so it still takes the manpower to do that. If you're gonna do that, you don't need the wall. What is needed is enforce the dang laws we have now!

Further to the wildlife, the problem with the area where we hunted, and where the main ranch headquarters had large farming operations right on the river is that the proposed wall route put much of the river valley on the MEXICO side of the wall!! Where I hunted would be on the wrong side of the wall, and it was thousands of acres. The proposal was to put "gates" or portals in it to allow for passage of workers/tractors/equipment, etc... with NO regard for wildlife. Wildlife indeed migrates up and down the river. Our property was just south of the city of Del Rio and our deer/turkey/exotic population was much higher than the lower part of the ranch because once wildlife got to that part of the ranch, town cut them off from going farther... It was a good thing for we hunters, but having that wall all up and down the area, would be a very bad thing for wildlife in restricting their natural movements.
Fully agree. If the wall is built they need to have wildlife corridors like they do in Colorado along I70.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Pkripper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 12:36 PM   #35
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:

All that sounds great in theory but that ship sailed long ago. None of the current crop of crooks in Washington (and Iím sure plenty more at the state level) have NO WILL to enforce the laws we already have. So hard barriers have to be a secondary solution.

Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 12:45 PM   #36
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
So no one thinks it would affect the new Bighorn sheep that have been introduced? I sure would love for us to have a good huntable population
Have you seen where they live? How do you think theyíll build a wall there?
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 12:48 PM   #37
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
If it is the only area without a wall they will travel through there. look at Nogales, AZ. Worst territory in the country. They still travel through that area like crazy. Nothing will stop the will of those people.

Personally I think the only animals that would suffer would be the sheep and the black bears that come up during the droughts. And yes, they do cross the river and come up into S. Texas.

Last edited by captainsling; 05-31-2018 at 12:52 PM.
captainsling is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 12:49 PM   #38
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

Improbable maybe but impossible? The Chinese did it hundreds of years ago and with no modern technology.
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 01:07 PM   #39
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: BWD

The main ingredient in any "wall" should start with E-verify. No social or welfare for ANY illegal or Visa overstays.

Shut off the magnet.
JFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 01:12 PM   #40
TheHammer
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Have you seen where they live? How do you think theyíll build a wall there?
No I haven't. That's why I stated in my post that I'm not arguing for or against, because I have no idea. I have never seen it
Old 05-31-2018, 02:02 PM   #41
Texans42
Ten Point

Let me get this straight.

We build a wall, and every livestock disease we have been fighting from border crossings virtual becomes eliminated......

BVD and variants
Tick Fever/Babesiois
TB
Etc.

No agruement, build it.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 02:04 PM   #42
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFISHER View Post
The main ingredient in any "wall" should start with E-verify. No social or welfare for ANY illegal or Visa overstays.

Shut off the magnet.
This, and throwing people who knowingly employ illegals in the pen.

Artificial barriers are bad for wildlife. Thatís a fact. High fences, border walls, etc. all impede the natural movement of wildlife and thatís not a positive for ecosystems.
Razrbk89 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 02:11 PM   #43
Encinal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Spite of Wife's Complaints

Eminent Domain proceedings alone will outlast Trump's presidency even if he is elected to two terms. The wall isn't happening in rural areas. More manpower is needed in rural areas... and Mexico needs more "incentives" to clog the permeability of THEIR borders. As Mexico's economy improves, Their lack of border security will be just as much a burden to them, as our lack of border security has been to us... because central americans will be stopping in Mexico instead of traveling to the US... in fact, they already are.
Encinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 02:24 PM   #44
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

We hunt south of Brownsville every year, like on the Rio Grande south. There is already a wall there, it creates choke points for the BP to focus on. There are also people carrying very large backpacks, which will get you blood pressure going, as well as the white Tahoes.

As far as I could tell the current wall has not effected the white wing doves, the Eurasian doves, or the morning doves.
Attached Images

batmaninja is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 02:57 PM   #45
iamntxhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Mother Nature finds a away. Don't need a continuous wall. Just strategically placed walls where needed.
Which is what the plan is or that is what I understood it to be.
If we didn't have the anchor baby policy, sanctuary cities and free social programs and handouts we wouldn't have the problems with illegal immigrants tothe degree that we do imo.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
iamntxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 03:01 PM   #46
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

Never seen so many "high fencers" preach about the pitfalls of putting up a high fence. Hahahaha
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 03:05 PM   #47
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
So you think the wall would impact negatively on wildlife in the area?
Absolutely. And the farmers/ranchers who work the land that wildlife feed off of. That actually would be the bigger impact.
WItoTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 03:32 PM   #48
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsling View Post
If it is the only area without a wall they will travel through there. look at Nogales, AZ. Worst territory in the country. They still travel through that area like crazy. Nothing will stop the will of those people.

Personally I think the only animals that would suffer would be the sheep and the black bears that come up during the droughts. And yes, they do cross the river and come up into S. Texas.
I really wasn't talking terrain as much as logistics. It is way way out of the to go through Big Bend area for illegals. Much less they wouldn't make it 100 miles through that dessert. They may try but they cant carry enough water and its not South Texas with houses, tanks or windmills around the corner.
Take Dead Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 03:44 PM   #49
Charles
Pope & Young

Does anybody know the stats of immigrants that come over through chain migration and the lottery VS illegal crossings?
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 03:47 PM   #50
TheHammer
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

This is what I'm really looking for, someone that hunted on the border and saw it first hand.

Again, this isn't a thread on the argument of wall no wall, there are already plenty of those. This thread is aimed at being a DISCUSSION on what toll the wall would take on wildlife in that area, if any.