Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else getting tired of game cameras?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else getting tired of game cameras?

I have been using game cameras since 2001. When they first came out I thought they were the greatest thing ever invented for hunting. Now it seems like they are more of a pain. I have 3 of them, two Moultrie and 1 bushne. I am always having to replace batteries and memory cards, and when I view the pictures most of the time I don't even want to hunt because the bucks are so crummy. I am starting to think hunting was more fun without a game camera: cheaper, less stuff to deal with, and there was a sense of hope/mystery every time I sat the stand of what might be out there comming to my feeder.
    Am I losing it?

So stop using them.

Seriously though, I sometimes feel the same.
    If there are only the same small/young bucks on the camera, sometimes it's hard to get motivated to sit in the stand.

Comment

No.
      I remember having a conversation several years ago with some Retriever Training friends. Our conversation was about the proliferation of action decoys. And how it seemed to take some of the fun and joy out of it. Always worried about batteries, battery life, how will this new gadget affect & effect my spread. Who's going to control the remote control swimming duck(s), who's going to man the jerk line.....

Comment

Never used them for that reason. That way the excitement of not knowing what can step out keeps it exciting. I also hunt public land but I'm more of a meat hunter. So I really don't care if nothing but doe's come in. I work so much that it's more about the peace and quite and hanging out with buddies at lunch time. No work no phone call's. Don't get me wrong, I love to see some good bucks but I get just as excited to see a good group of doe's coming in.

Comment

They're a great tool. If your getting nothing but "crummy" bucks that's valuable info. Time for a lease change or maybe a change in how the lease is managed.

Comment

They've got their ups and downs. They are a pain in the arse until a nice buck you've never seen comes strolling by.

Comment

I like the heck out of mine. With limited time to be able to hunt it really pays to know exactly what is going on on your property at all times. I can't afford to sit on a weekend when nothing is coming in to feed or at times when nothing will be there. That said if I was able to hunt every weekend of season/year I wouldn't have a camera.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                They're a great tool. If your getting nothing but "crummy" bucks that's valuable info. Time for a lease change or maybe a change in how the lease is managed.
                x2

Comment

Originally posted by ck40711 View Post
                  I am always having to replace batteries and memory cards, and when I view the pictures most of the time I don't even want to hunt because the bucks are so crummy.
                  Get on a better lease....you'll love game cameras again...

Comment

Not me and I run 22 game cameras.

Comment

I used to sit in the stands wondering if we had any bucks on our land, plenty of doe's just wasn't able to see the bucks. Put game cams out and was very pleasantly surprised. Now I just have to outsmart them.
                      You may trying to move them to different areas of your property.

Comment

Crummy pictures is better than no deer. On my last lease in Evant, I didnt get a single buck on camera. Barely a doe.

They are helpful. the big deer I see during season usually will never show up on camera. Its better to have crummy deer than a big deer you never see in person.

Comment

Move your cameras off of the feeders. Find a scrape.

Comment

I still get as excited as I ever have to check them and I've been using them since the 90's. I remember the first time I ever set a Camtrakker film unit out at a protein feeder 500-600 yards away from camp in a little opening on the side of a hill. I set it out just before sunset in August. We sat for hours on the back porch staring into the darkness and every few minutes a flash of light would illuminate that opening. We were so excited to see what was lurking in the dark and how cool it was to have the technology available to do that. Good memories...but dang the 36 count roll of film went fast. I would buy all that Eckerds had and use them up quickly. I still have boxes of doe pics that got set aside developed.

Comment

IMO they are a great hunting tool. I personally don't use mine as much as I used to for various reasons. but they are a great tool

Comment

Working...
                              X