Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 05-28-2018, 05:25 PM   #851
Stick1
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hardeman

Yep, you guys with the "6.5 man buns" (thanks for the laugh Craig) will be getting yours first most likely. This is probably a good time for an update. What is that saying about the best laid plans......

We had originally planned on running them through in batches as we originally laid out in the projected schedule. For several reasons spelled out in the original post this was the best approach. That was obviously based on our vendors sticking to the schedule, which mostly happened, except for actions and a few barrels. It seems like the dates keep getting pushed out on longs and short mags. I have been assured that we will have the long and short mag bolt faces by the end of this week. That does leave out the standard bolt face long actions. I am awaiting the latest update on those and will post here as soon as I get that info. I don't want to guess at it.

In the meantime, we have begun pushing the shorts out at each available opportunity and you should see those popping up with more frequency as the week progresses. We know you guys are ready to get these things in hand, and we want you guys to KNOW that these builds will be high priority when the overdue components arrive. At this point in the schedule, we aren't even going to attempt to "batch" anything. We'll be pushing them through with the regular scheduled builds as parts arrive to minimize any further delays.

Thanks,
Robert
Alamo Precision Rifles
Stick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2018, 05:33 PM   #852
Stick1
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Thanks gents30mm hd5. 3x15x44 sitting on seekins.

I'll add this is the first set of seekins I've had. I looked at many. One said they didn't have to be lapped and I can't remember who. these had to be and it took a little more umph than usual. I guess it's the coating
This is very unusual in my experience. They are one of the few that we trust to be true by the very nature of the way they are made. How much conact were you seeing before they were lapped?

-Robert
Old 05-28-2018, 06:01 PM   #853
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick1 View Post
Yep, you guys with the "6.5 man buns" (thanks for the laugh Craig) will be getting yours first most likely. This is probably a good time for an update. What is that saying about the best laid plans......

We had originally planned on running them through in batches as we originally laid out in the projected schedule. For several reasons spelled out in the original post this was the best approach. That was obviously based on our vendors sticking to the schedule, which mostly happened, except for actions and a few barrels. It seems like the dates keep getting pushed out on longs and short mags. I have been assured that we will have the long and short mag bolt faces by the end of this week. That does leave out the standard bolt face long actions. I am awaiting the latest update on those and will post here as soon as I get that info. I don't want to guess at it.

In the meantime, we have begun pushing the shorts out at each available opportunity and you should see those popping up with more frequency as the week progresses. We know you guys are ready to get these things in hand, and we want you guys to KNOW that these builds will be high priority when the overdue components arrive. At this point in the schedule, we aren't even going to attempt to "batch" anything. We'll be pushing them through with the regular scheduled builds as parts arrive to minimize any further delays.

Thanks,
Robert
Alamo Precision Rifles
Thanks for the update Robert!

Anxiously waiting!
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2018, 06:08 PM   #854
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
This is very unusual in my experience. They are one of the few that we trust to be true by the very nature of the way they are made. How much conact were you seeing before they were lapped?

-Robert
Very VERY little.

Like I said it was as if it was the coating they have. I might have been able to slide 2 sheets of notebook paper under one. Contact was happening on the sides and leaving a gap in the "belly" of the ring
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2018, 06:20 PM   #855
Stick1
Eight Point

Quote:
Very VERY little.

Like I said it was as if it was the coating they have. I might have been able to slide 2 sheets of notebook paper under one. Contact was happening on the sides and leaving a gap in the "belly" of the ring
Well, dang it. Glad you got it sorted out. Too late now obviously, but I bet they would have sent a replacement set. I'm going to keep my eyes on the next few sets now.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:33 PM   #856
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well, dang it. Glad you got it sorted out. Too late now obviously, but I bet they would have sent a replacement set. I'm going to keep my eyes on the next few sets now.
I will say I really had to lean on the lapping tool. The anodized or whatever it is was hard as a rock.

My buddy suggested swapping rings altogether with some Burris he had in stock
Old 05-28-2018, 06:55 PM   #857
Colton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Thanks for the update, Robert!
Colton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2018, 07:01 PM   #858
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

Quote:

Thanks,
Robert
Alamo Precision Rifles
Not what I was wanting to hear, since I'm getting a .25-06 Ackley Improved, but it'll be worth the wait. In the meantime I can play with my new boat.
Phillip Fields is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2018, 04:19 PM   #859
RShockley
Six Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

Quote:

Thanks,
Robert
Alamo Precision Rifles
Thanks for the update Robert. Looking forward to sporting my man bun here soon.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2018, 04:45 PM   #860
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:

Thanks,
Robert
Alamo Precision Rifles
Appreciate the update sir!
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #861
savin yours
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas

Just got the call.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
savin yours is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #862
Colton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by savin yours View Post
Just got the call.....

Hell ya!
Colton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 07:21 PM   #863
RShockley
Six Point

Quote:
Just got the call.....

Look forward to seeing more pics of these rifles until mine is ready. 6.5 man bun like the rest of us?
Old 06-02-2018, 07:54 PM   #864
savin yours
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShockley View Post
Look forward to seeing more pics of these rifles until mine is ready. 6.5 man bun like the rest of us?

Yep

Old 06-02-2018, 08:04 PM   #865
RShockley
Six Point

Quote:
Yep

Seems like a smarter choice everyday now that we are getting ours first.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #866
txbownoob
Spike

Hope I get a call soon, seeing new posts only gets me more anxious lol
txbownoob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 08:57 PM   #867
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Quote:
I will ablige you.

Not part of the group build. Found the A5 used on a great deal. Robert suggested I have Joe Ducos convert the cheek piece to adjustable so I did.

Axiom action with a 22 inch 8 twist Muller in 6.5 manbun and a jewel trigger. Seekins rings holding a Ziess V6 5-30.

They knocked the paint job out the park. Pictures don't do justicd.

Name:  20180528_103926.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  76.8 KBName:  20180528_103056.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  85.0 KB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 09:08 PM   #868
captainsling
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick8 View Post
I will ablige you.

Not part of the group build. Found the A5 used on a great deal. Robert suggested I have Joe Ducos convert the cheek piece to adjustable so I did.

Axiom action with a 22 inch 8 twist Muller in 6.5 manbun and a jewel trigger. Seekins rings holding a Ziess V6 5-30.

They knocked the paint job out the park. Pictures don't do justicd.

Attachment 910187Attachment 910188

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Did you go with the low rings or mediums? Putting the exact same scope on mine. Looks great!
Old 06-03-2018, 06:38 AM   #869
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

That's medium rings but the base sits very low.

My other rifle has seekins low rings but the base is so tall that the scope actually sits higher.
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2018, 07:41 AM   #870
captainsling
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick8 View Post
That's medium rings but the base sits very low.

My other rifle has seekins low rings but the base is so tall that the scope actually sits higher.
I ordered mediums so I should be okay. They are on back order.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:57 PM   #871
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Just got the call.....

Calls happening on Saturdays it seems
Old 06-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #872
savin yours
Pope & Young

Quote:
Calls happening on Saturdays it seems

How long did it take yours to get to your dealer?

Old 06-03-2018, 02:24 PM   #873
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
How long did it take yours to get to your dealer?

Apr and my ffl both closed on Mondays. I went to gun shop first thing Tuesday and sent ffl to Apr. Rifle shipped out that day and it came in Thursday evening.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:45 PM   #874
savin yours
Pope & Young

Quote:
Apr and my ffl both closed on Mondays. I went to gun shop first thing Tuesday and sent ffl to Apr. Rifle shipped out that day and it came in Thursday evening.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #875
RShockley
Six Point

I like living close by where I can just go pick mine up.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:42 PM   #876
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 04:51 PM   #877
savin yours
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post

Oh yea!

Old 06-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #878
brrdnk
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman,TX & The "H" Some Years

Quote:

Sweeeeet looking rig. Congrats
brrdnk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 06:39 PM   #879
RShockley
Six Point

I really like the color choice. I almost went with something similar but chose a different route. Got the ambush paint job with the barrel and action in midnight bronze. Can’t wait to get it.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:19 AM   #880
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Nice!

About the only thing I struggled with other than caliber was spiral vs. ratchet flutes. Had the bolt not been fluted I prolly would have gone ratchet
Old 06-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #881
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Why isn't lapping them a perfect solution?
I see more and more the opinion that rings "shouldn't need it" because they "cost $200 and are quality."
You're obviously way more experienced than I am. Why would you recommend waiting on another set and just hoping they don't need it vs. lapping and being confident they're 100% good? Even if you can't cram a sheet of paper in there like he could (if the rings have a belly for example) they can almost certainly use it, right?
You have two machined pieces of metal in the receiver and rings that weren't mated to start, yet there seems to be an expectation that they will fit perfectly and be aligned as installed if you spend X amount on the rings.
How is this different from expecting your scope to be sighted in because you paid $3500 for it?
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2018, 01:40 PM   #882
RShockley
Six Point

Robert, if we bring scope and rings when picking up the rifle is it possible to have it mounted/rings lapped the day of pickup? Might be in the middle of a move when rifle is ready and my equipment will be in storage. If not able to be done that day any idea how long it would normally take?
Old 06-05-2018, 03:19 PM   #883
captainsling
Pope & Young

Quote:
Robert, if we bring scope and rings when picking up the rifle is it possible to have it mounted/rings lapped the day of pickup? Might be in the middle of a move when rifle is ready and my equipment will be in storage. If not able to be done that day any idea how long it would normally take?
I asked and was told they donít do lapping. Even though it has cost listed on their site.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:42 PM   #884
Stick1
Eight Point

[QUOTE=meltingfeather;13413030]Why isn't lapping them a perfect solution?
I see more and more the opinion that rings "shouldn't need it" because they "cost $200 and are quality."
You're obviously way more experienced than I am. Why would you recommend waiting on another set and just hoping they don't need it vs. lapping and being confident they're 100% good? Even if you can't cram a sheet of paper in there like he could (if the rings have a belly for example) they can almost certainly use it, right?
You have two machined pieces of metal in the receiver and rings that weren't mated to start, yet there seems to be an expectation that they will fit perfectly and be aligned as installed if you spend X amount on the rings.
How is this different from expecting your scope to be sighted in because you paid $3500 for

I'm against lapping $200 rings because you already paid a premium to have them machined as a single unit to avoid having to correct any issues. Lapping them in is a simple concept that does not always work out in practice. There is no way to maintain even pressure on both ring halves consistently throughout the process and you can easily lose concentricity between the top and bottom halves to some degree. Which can lead to several other issues. Usually the true issue lies in the base or the attachment hardware when higher end rings exhibit alignment issues. I'm all for lapping to get that last 20% of contact, but do not see it as a tool to solve gross fitment issues. There is usually something else at play.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:46 PM   #885
Stick1
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsling View Post
I asked and was told they donít do lapping. Even though it has cost listed on their site.
Not sure who you spoke to, but it is indeed a service we offer. Though seldom have a need for. Dave or myself are the only ones that I'll let do it. There are a couple new folks up front that probably didn't know.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #886
Stick1
Eight Point

Quote:
Bring 'em! I'd budget about an hour in your schedule.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:19 PM   #887
XR650RRider
Six Point

I bed mine. Some neutral shoe polish on the scope and polished off where they contact the rings. De-grease the bottom half, ball of modeling clay to fill screw hole, then light dose of 5 min JB weld can be regular JB if your slow. Put scope where you want it and let cure. Remove scope and trim excess if you want or wipe excess with q-tip before it cures. The scope won't slide and you have very good contact with rings. I also bed the base first.
XR650RRider is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2018, 06:34 PM   #888
Stick1
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650RRider View Post
I bed mine. Some neutral shoe polish on the scope and polished off where they contact the rings. De-grease the bottom half, ball of modeling clay to fill screw hole, then light dose of 5 min JB weld can be regular JB if your slow. Put scope where you want it and let cure. Remove scope and trim excess if you want or wipe excess with q-tip before it cures. The scope won't slide and you have very good contact with rings. I also bed the base first.
That sure solves any issues
Old 06-05-2018, 06:56 PM   #889
mdnabors
Ten Point

Hunt In: Weatherford & Kansas

Quote:
Quote:
Bring 'em! I'd budget about an hour in your schedule.

Nice!! I asked the same question. Good to know and I'll be doing that too. Thx
mdnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2018, 07:24 PM   #890
captainsling
Pope & Young

Quote:
Not sure who you spoke to, but it is indeed a service we offer. Though seldom have a need for. Dave or myself are the only ones that I'll let do it. There are a couple new folks up front that probably didn't know.
Sorry Robert. I may have sent a PM to the wrong person on accident and gotten a smart arse response from someone it wasn't intended for.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:28 PM   #891
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
I'm against lapping $200 rings because you already paid a premium to have them machined as a single unit to avoid having to correct any issues. Lapping them in is a simple concept that does not always work out in practice. There is no way to maintain even pressure on both ring halves consistently throughout the process and you can easily lose concentricity between the top and bottom halves to some degree. Which can lead to several other issues. Usually the true issue lies in the base or the attachment hardware when higher end rings exhibit alignment issues. I'm all for lapping to get that last 20% of contact, but do not see it as a tool to solve gross fitment issues. There is usually something else at play.
Interesting... thanks for taking the time.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2018, 09:35 PM   #892
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:

Whatís the details on that stock? Factory colors?
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2018, 10:22 PM   #893
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
What’s the details on that stock? Factory colors?
Grayboe Terrain (group buy deal for this build obviously)
Should be the Apr custom camo I would imagine
Old 06-05-2018, 11:49 PM   #894
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Man...I’m drooling here. Hopefully they can do this deal again in a couple of years. I’ll be ready then.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #895
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Got the call with a last minute question today, will be in production by tomorrow...
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2018, 04:24 PM   #896
150class
Pope & Young

Anyone get the call today?
Saw a sweet 6.5 Manbun on their insta page and curious if it was a TBH’er
Old 06-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #897
savin yours
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
Anyone get the call today?
Saw a sweet 6.5 Manbun on their insta page and curious if it was a TBHíer

BAM! Itís mine. I was wondering if ours would make their page.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:13 PM   #898
150class
Pope & Young

Default 2018 Alamo Precision Rifles TBH Special Thread

Quote:
BAM! Itís mine. I was wondering if ours would make their page.

Congrats sir!

Last edited by 150class; 06-06-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:47 PM   #899
savin yours
Pope & Young

Default 2018 Alamo Precision Rifles TBH Special Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
Congrats sir!

Thanks! I have some welcome home gifts for it.

Leupold LRP(or M4, Iíll decide when it gets here)
ARC M10 rings
Atlas bipod
Thunder Beast Ultra 7(NFA jail time)
And enough ammo to empty Hagerman

Last edited by savin yours; 06-06-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:22 PM   #900
mdnabors
Ten Point

Hunt In: Weatherford & Kansas

Quote:
Thanks! I have some welcome home gifts for it.

Leupold LRP(or M4, Iíll decide when it gets here)
ARC M10 rings
Atlas bipod
Thunder Beast Ultra 7(NFA jail time)
And enough ammo to empty Hagerman

Beauty of a gun...I'd be there waiting with bells on! Hoping the 7mm-08's follow the manbuns in order
mdnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top