Hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hogs

Officials with the United States Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services (WS) are set to begin conducting tests of a new poison for feral hogs. These tests will begin within weeks in Texas and Alabama.

“With these in place (environmental assessments), we can now begin field trials to help determine the effectiveness of the sodium nitrite toxic bait for removing feral swine sounders in natural settings, as well as any potential impacts to non-target wildlife,” said WS Deputy Administrator Bill Clay.

The EUP allows WS researchers to partner with landowners to identify and target 3 to 9 feral swine sounders (i.e., social groups containing adults and juveniles) each in Texas and Alabama.

Bait delivery systems designed to prevent access by non-target wildlife will be filled with placebo bait, placed in the sounders’ territories and monitored with motion-activated cameras. Following a period of acclimation to confirm feral swine use of the baiting areas, the placebo bait will be replaced with sodium nitrite toxic bait for two nights. Furthermore, at least 30 feral swine and no more than 30 raccoons in each state’s study area will be live captured and radio-collared prior to baiting in order to monitor their movements and exposure to the bait. Landowners within 300 meters/328 yards of bait stations will be notified and signs will be placed on bait stations and along roads leading into the study areas.

Sodium nitrite (NaNO2) is a meat preservative commonly used to cure meats such as sausage and bacon. When eaten in high doses over a short period of time, it is toxic to feral swine. The mode of death is similar to carbon monoxide poisoning. Once enough sodium nitrite bait is eaten, the feral swine gets faint, is rendered unconscious, and quickly dies. In most cases, feral swine die within 2.5 to 3 hours after eating a lethal dose.

According to USDA officials any factors are considered when developing a toxic bait for feral swine.

Not only must it be effective and humane in eliminating feral swine, but also low risk for those handling it, the environment, and wildlife. Other wildlife, such as raccoons, bears and deer, may be attracted to the sodium nitrite toxic bait. To prevent non-target species from accessing the bait, WS researchers will use delivery systems and baiting strategies designed for feral swine. Trials will not be conducted in areas with known black bear populations.

Texas has a small but growing population of protected black bears in the Trans Pecos.

Last year the proposed use of another toxin-warfarin-caused a major stir in the Texas outdoors community and eventually the company Scimetrics who produce the toxin pulled its application for use in Texas at this time.

Compiled by TF&G from USDA reports

600 total views, 46 views today
    Share this:
    EmailPrintFacebook478TwitterGooglePinterestLinkedI nTumblrReddit
    Related posts

January 18, 2018
    Eagle Poachers and Dolphin Shooters: TX Must Address Youth Poaching Problem
    Read more

This seems better than the warfarin poison, but I’m still very skeptical. Hunter almost irraticated wolves and bison when there was a financial incentive to hunt them . I think a bounty on pigs would work with less environmental impact.

Comment

Originally posted by Bort View Post
      This seems better than the warfarin poison, but I’m still very skeptical. Hunter almost irraticated wolves and bison when there was a financial incentive to hunt them . I think a bounty on pigs would work with less environmental impact.
      Yup I agree.

Comment

The BOUNTY to me is EAT///sausage /bacon/ham...There is a problem with Hog numbers..but Posions usually come back to Haunt Us..whats it gona Scavengers Buzzards/Eagles/Yotes/fox/possem/coons/bobcats/and many more..Plus the hunter that shoots one that just ate Posion and walked to hunters feeder and gets shot/butchered/and eaten

Comment

a bounty would do it.

This research sounds like a budget of no less than 1 mil that would pay for about 1000 helli hunts, if each hunt killed 20 pigs that’s 20,000 pigs. just on the research budget

a bounty of $25 per pig would have the consumer paying for half and double the kill to 40,000

a 10-mill budget would get close to wiping them out. with no negative impact on other wildlife.

not to mention more hunting licenses sales would pay part of the budget

if you could go helli hunting for free everybody would do it

Comment

Too much private land for a bounty system to work in Texas. The VAST majority of landowners will not grant free access and the trespass fees will make the bounty pointless.

If hogs are eradicated in Texas, it will be a poison or swine disease that does it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bpa556 View Post
              Too much private land for a bounty system to work in Texas. The VAST majority of landowners will not grant free access and the trespass fees will make the bounty pointless.

If hogs are eradicated in Texas, it will be a poison or swine disease that does it.

I agree, and if we can poison hogs SAFELY, I'm on board.

Comment

Originally posted by bpa556 View Post

Then there's no problem. You can't have it both ways. Most say 95% of landowners hate hogs because they cost the LO money. Now I assume LO's don't hate hogs that much because they won't allow trappers. So it's not costing them THAT much if they don't want the problem solved.

Comment

Cable on the Lone Star Outdoor Show had a TPWD guy on his show not too long ago and explained a lot of this. One thing I saw in the thread was concern about scavengers. The sodium nitrite supposedly breaks down very quickly. The guy on the show claimed a lethal dose would be difficult for a scavenger to get. I haven't done much other research, but what he said seemed promising. Definitely recommend giving it a listen.

Comment

We're gonna need some of that "popcorn" for this thread too!!

Comment

I would love a bounty, I could be rich already. I am not sure why, but I have one of my areas on my club that they will not leave alone no matter how many I kill. we have shot at least 20 during deer season during legal shooting hours this year on my one stand. Now that season is over I will be adding feeder lights and going for more.

Comment

I was hoping they'd start testing this poison. Alot better than warfarin, but I'm sure there'll be some roadblocks to overcome before its accepted.

Comment

Sounds Promising. As Landowner (family ranch) I absolutely hate hogs. We try to kill everyone we see. The argument that they must not hate them to much because we don't allow people to come out and hunt them is asinine. There is a liability issue and frankly would you want strangers running around your property shooting? Facts are the majority of hunters don't treasure and respect the land as much as we do, as owners.

Comment

Put a $25 dollar bounty on hogs and I will start shooting them. I might even get a lease just to shoot them. I never shot them at our old lease because I just didnt feel like messing with them.
                            Only problem, I could see landowners with hogs charging even more.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                              Sounds Promising. As Landowner (family ranch) I absolutely hate hogs. We try to kill everyone we see. The argument that they must not hate them to much because we don't allow people to come out and hunt them is asinine. There is a liability issue and frankly would you want strangers running around your property shooting? Facts are the majority of hunters don't treasure and respect the land as much as we do, as owners.
                              You cant win Brandon, I done figured it out a while back. Them boys gonna have 300 reasons why we need hogs, but if you ask why the state is actually researching poison for control they clam up.

I aint a real smart guy and dont have the brain power or time to argue with them, so I dont post too much on these topics. I did post a few earlier this morning cause it aggravated me.

Comment

Working...
                              X