Best AR caliber for pigs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
    one downside of 450/458 is that your 30 cal suppressor won’t work with it.

I vote Grendel - more energy at all ranges

I fail to see an excuse to buy a new gun and a new suppressor as a bad thing! [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

5.56 with a 1:8 twist 16” barrel so you can shoot heavier bullets. I know a lot of people will disagree but I’ve killed close to 15 hogs this year using 62 grain M855 steel core ammo.

I’ve shot several doubles and I shoot the first one behind the shoulder and just look for hair through the scope on 2nd shots. Shots between 100 - 140 yards with hogs between 80-200+ lb.

Furthest I’ve had a first shot run was 20 yards - most just died where I shot them. I’ve found most of my second shots within 20-30 yards too - only a couple I didn’t find but I didn’t look real hard either.

Reason: 5.56 is cheap and you can practice a lot. Some will disagree but you don’t need to eat hole pigs and you don’t a large caliber or expensive ammo.

Comment

308. It will do everything you want, and ammo is available at every store.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
          Not always. 2 holes from a bullet that does not expand leaves less blood that 1 from a bullet that leaves a 10" wound in the lungs. I know this from personal experience and it is why I no longer shoot Barnes bullets.
          i wasn't talking about itty bitty bullets,, a 458 is larger than many bullets expanded... iv'e been hunting with a 45-70 for 35 years,, and i also specifically mentioned less than perfect hits,,, not lung shots, just about anything through the lungs is deadly,,, and hogs are notorious for not leaving good blood trails,, so yea, two holes are better than one!!, and take into account most people do not shoot at ground level, but from elevated even if only by a few feet,, that leaves a lower exit wound and they tend to give much much better blood trails when that hole is larger... period!

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
            Short range, 458 socom
            Leg stretching, 6.5 grendel
            Cheap, 556 with head shots.
            First choice for me, IMO, is the Grendel (took my biggest buck to date with it a month ago, one shot...but also deadly for Hogs as well.)

2nd..don't discount the AR 5.56 "green tip federals" for hogs? I've killed a bunch of 'em and NOT head shots. Get's great penetration and at least for me DRT.

In my "old age," I have become a AR fan for hunting. After Deer season is done, I'm concentrating on predator hunting and plan to document the AR vs. Bolt the boys and I have in "so called" predator calibers. As a novelty, I would still like to have a AR in 22-250, 204 or maybe 243? If I can ever find and afford my ultimate caliber for an AR would be the 260. Not trying to start a argument, just my "wish lists" on a retiree budget. Have fun and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
              i wasn't talking about itty bitty bullets,, a 458 is larger than many bullets expanded... iv'e been hunting with a 45-70 for 35 years,, and i also specifically mentioned less than perfect hits,,, not lung shots, just about anything through the lungs is deadly,,, and hogs are notorious for not leaving good blood trails,, so yea, two holes are better than one!!, and take into account most people do not shoot at ground level, but from elevated even if only by a few feet,, that leaves a lower exit wound and they tend to give much much better blood trails when that hole is larger... period!
              Hogs do not need to leave blood trails. That is why I head shoot them,

Comment

243, it's a great coyote gun caliber too.

Comment

223-5.56 kills them just fine

Comment

Yep... 450 Bushmaster the way to go in my opinion!

Comment

Best AR caliber for pigs?

Originally posted by BigDropTine View Post
                      Yep... 450 Bushmaster the way to go in my opinion!

My issue with the 450 Bushmaster is it uses pistol bullets pushed to rifle velocities. There’s only a very few bullets that will hold up at those velocities.

The 458 Socom uses rifle bullets and there’s tons of .458 diameter bullets.

Comment

.50 Beowulf works well.......I have a suppressor awaiting stamp....will be fun but clearly this round has limited range.

Click image for larger version

Name:	.50 beowulf.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	24523620

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                          .50 Beowulf works well.......I have a suppressor awaiting stamp....will be fun but clearly this round has limited range.

[ATTACH]889499[/ATTACH]

Do you have any other big bore suppressors? I have one for my 458 Socom and I’m pretty disappointed in it. It’s my first big bore but it just doesn’t seem as effective as my other 30 caliber cans.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                            243, it's a great coyote gun caliber too.
                            That's the one I want.

Comment

I can vouch for the 6.8. Have taken hundreds of hogs with the 6.8 and 90gr Federal Gold Dots running 2850fps from a 16" ARP barrel. I don't mean hit, made it to the brush and counted as a kill. I'm talking confirmed on the ground. Many dropped in their tracks with shoulder shots. Can count on both hands the number that have made it to the brush and I'm sure most didn't last long when they got there. Also, the Gold Dots are on sale now for $7.99 per box. Great bullet with great expansion with retained weight. Would much rather be hunting with my bow but have to keep up my eradication quota.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post

[ATTACH]889499[/ATTACH]
                                x2 for .50 Beowulf. Who needs long range on a hog? If the shot is half decent, there will be no tracking.

Uses stock AR mags. Buy the ammo at Cabela's relatively cheap.

Comment

Working...
                                X