Anyone hunting with an 18” 308?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone hunting with an 18” 308?

What load are you using for deer and big pigs? What about something a little larger like aoudad or mulies?

Distance?

I’m running a 20” shooting 178gr amax over Varget stopped everything I’ve hit with it.

Comment

178 eldx with 43gr Varget in Lapua brass and F210M

Comment

150gr sp mostly Winchester

Comment

168 amax and 44.5 re15

Comment

Originally posted by bustacap View Post
            178 eldx with 43gr Varget in Lapua brass and F210M
            Pretty much the same for me from a 20 inch barrel in a Mod 10 savage with a suppressor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

168 gr Bergers here

Comment

I was shooting a 20" Howa with a 179 Amax at 2550. For hunting I switched over to a 125 Nosler bt and was much happier with the results, the bullet expanded better and retained it's weight good. It would shoot thru big pigs and left good blood trails.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                  I was shooting a 20" Howa with a 179 Amax at 2550. For hunting I switched over to a 125 Nosler bt and was much happier with the results, the bullet expanded better and retained it's weight good. It would shoot thru big pigs and left good blood trails.
                  Thanks. Was wondering about penetration at lower speeds.

I’d like to be able to blow through big pigs regardless of the angle

Comment

Gun currently has a 22” barrel. Looks like I’ll lose about 80-100 fps going to 18”.

Looking to shoot game 300 yds and in.

Comment

I’m shooting either a 16” or 18” FNAR & it likes the Federal 165 gr Trophy Bonded tip Ammo

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                        Gun currently has a 22” barrel. Looks like I’ll lose about 80-100 fps going to 18”.

Looking to shoot game 300 yds and in.
                        At that range cut it to 16" if you want. It'll still be supersonic to 600+ yards.

LWD

Comment

I have a 16” APR with a suppressor.
                          Using 150 grain ballistic tips
                          Leaves a ugly wound

Comment

I’m shooting an 18” suppressed with 150 grain Barnes bullets. Works wonders on anything we have shot with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I shortened a 22" barrel to 18.5"... shooting 150grn winchester hog special which are basically power points....started reloading nosler spitzer 150 grn ballistic tips....andthey both work just fine on and hogs blow through them...i just got a box of winchester deer season xp and gonna go out and see what those do on hogs....18" barrel 308 doesnt lose enough of anything to not kill what you shoot it at....and my ranges go from 20yrds to 130yrds...they still all die.

Comment

Working...
                              X