DFW 10u SOFTBALL Select Pitcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gunner97 View Post
    Mine played select ball since she was 10. Pitched 3-4 times a week (including pitching lesson), practiced a couple times week, graduated in top 5% of her class and never burned out. All depends on the child and what they want to do. She made several lifelong friends along the way and helps coach an 8U team and gives pitching lessons. To each his own.

Good luck finding a pitcher. Good ones can be tough to find.

Good to know. My daughter bring the gloves in daily asks to play catch which always turns into her working on pitching. She loves it and I love that she loves it. Lots of time sitting on the bucket that I wouldn't trade for the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Ttt

Comment

The ones that burn out don't love it as much as the ones that stay with it. Or they are pushed way past their ability. Ether way it is the process of natural selection. Most of the ones that stay with it will love the game forever. Some call it obsessed.

Obsessed is a word that lazy people use to describe passion, hard work, and dedication!

I tried to bribe my daughter out of pitching when she was younger, I could not get her to budge.

I will warn you though, as they get older a lot of the coaches will start treating her as a pitcher instead of a softball player. Wanting her to pitch, or sit and rest. Especially if they don't have an understanding of how a pitcher thinks. They will never fully understand all the hard work she puts in during the week, and that most likely the reason she became a pitcher, is because she was one of the best athletes / players on her team. She wants to be on the field.

I think the coaches can overthink things sometimes and think they should run the team like a college team. Even in 14U. She and I have become a little more understanding of this, with her on a national travel team.
          I am happy that her coach now, realizes what kind of a player she is, but the coach from the team she was on in the early spring did not. That team no longer exists.
          Last edited by ELKAHOLIC; 08-25-2017, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
            The ones that burn out don't love it as much as the ones that stay with it. Or they are pushed way past their ability. Ether way it is the process of natural selection. Most of the ones that stay with it will love the game forever. Some call it obsessed.

Obsessed is a word that lazy people use to describe passion, hard work, and dedication!

I tried to bribe my daughter out of pitching when she was younger, I could not get her to budge.

I will warn you though, as they get older a lot of the coaches will start treating her as a pitcher instead of a softball player. Wanting her to pitch, or sit and rest. Especially if they don't have an understanding of how a pitcher thinks. They will never fully understand all the hard work she puts in during the week, and that most likely the reason she became a pitcher, is because she was one of the best athletes / players on her team. She wants to be on the field.

I think the coaches can overthink things sometimes and think they should run the team like a college team. Even in 14U. She and I have become a little more understanding of this, with her on a national travel team.
            I am happy that her coach now, realizes what kind of a player she is, but the coach from the team she was on in the early spring did not. That team no longer exists.
            You hit the nail on the head and described my daughter's situation to a T. She started pitching about a year ago at home because it always looked cool to her seeing the older girls do it; it was just for fun. At her first lesson, her coach informed us that we were skipping what she usually teaches the first year to new pitchers bc she already did all those things. Second lesson, we were on the normal 18 month stuff and now here we are.

She loves the game and loves playing in the field, SS and 3B especially. We've even discussed going to tryouts and skipping the "anyone who can pitch" session to make the team as a softball player not a pitcher. That being said, she loves pitching and does not want to ever quit pitching completely...she just wants to do it all. We're just hoping to find a situation where a team has enough pitching to let her play in the field as well as pitch without the team sacrificing competitiveness. In looking at teams, we search for other pitchers and coaches more than the makeup of the rest of the team. This team had a great setup until our ace had to back out and now here we are.

BTW, Little Man is doing great!!! I just realized that you are the TBHer that my in laws bought him from 2 years ago. My daughters love him and so do their friends. My daughter was 7 when we bought him and had just finished her first season of coach pitch softball when we bought him. Oh my, how things have changed in her softball world since then.

Comment

Again just giving you my experience. I give lessons to 7-10U boys....Have 3 blood family members play college softball or baseball. And know someone directly who quit at 11 for a year bc was burned out. Then went to play D1 baseball

And this was long before all this select madness of parents living thru their kids and mortgaging their lives for kids to play select ball, who lets be honest very many won't play past Varsity level

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                Again just giving you my experience. I give lessons to 7-10U boys....Have 3 blood family members play college softball or baseball. And know someone directly who quit at 11 for a year bc was burned out. Then went to play D1 baseball

And this was long before all this select madness of parents living thru their kids and mortgaging their lives for kids to play select ball, who lets be honest very many won't play past Varsity level

Thank you for your testimony and two free bumps to the top. Still need a pitcher, people.

Comment

Can I pitch coach I'm ready PCK FOR LIFE!

Comment

Originally posted by CSIceman View Post
                    You hit the nail on the head and described my daughter's situation to a T. She started pitching about a year ago at home because it always looked cool to her seeing the older girls do it; it was just for fun. At her first lesson, her coach informed us that we were skipping what she usually teaches the first year to new pitchers bc she already did all those things. Second lesson, we were on the normal 18 month stuff and now here we are.

She loves the game and loves playing in the field, SS and 3B especially. We've even discussed going to tryouts and skipping the "anyone who can pitch" session to make the team as a softball player not a pitcher. That being said, she loves pitching and does not want to ever quit pitching completely...she just wants to do it all. We're just hoping to find a situation where a team has enough pitching to let her play in the field as well as pitch without the team sacrificing competitiveness. In looking at teams, we search for other pitchers and coaches more than the makeup of the rest of the team. This team had a great setup until our ace had to back out and now here we are.

BTW, Little Man is doing great!!! I just realized that you are the TBHer that my in laws bought him from 2 years ago. My daughters love him and so do their friends. My daughter was 7 when we bought him and had just finished her first season of coach pitch softball when we bought him. Oh my, how things have changed in her softball world since then.
                    WHOLLY COW MAN! That is awesome! I miss him and I'm glad he is doing good.
                    We have also thought about just trying out, and telling them later that she is a pitcher. The problem is now, pretty much everyone in north Texas knows her as a pitcher. The team she is on now is super stacked and there are 4 good pitchers, so I think she is set now. I am actually looking forward to HS ball this year, as her and another freshman are the only pitchers, and both are really good. They should have a lot of fun and play where they want to all of the time. Probably switching out at pitcher ans SS.

Comment

I hear you too man. These girls at age 14 are being recruited and are verbally committing to colleges. Crazy. Truth be told I wish it was not this way, but this is how it is. It is expensive, and as parents we feel the burn out feeling sometimes. My daughter has had no burn out feel at all so far.
                      All the travel and constant work, along with volleyball and basketball can get overwhelming sometimes. Thank God she put aside cheer and track. I had to force this issue, she wants to do it all.

I don't live through my kids, but I will do everything in my power to help them achieve what they want to do. I will love and obey God, hunt as much as I can, Love my wife and kids, work as much as I have to, and then someday die. Hopefully have a little rest before that, but.... That is life to me. I will leave here with nothing, but the memory's.

Comment

DFW 10u SOFTBALL Select Pitcher

Originally posted by Rangefinder View Post
                        Can I pitch coach I'm ready PCK FOR LIFE!

Size and number? Thanks

Last edited by CSIceman; 08-25-2017, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Again.. as stated in all the other threads you felt you needed to dump your 'experience' in..
                          no one gives a **** and no one asked you what you thought.

Comment

Originally posted by CSIceman View Post
                            Size and number? Thanks

Number 1 size 3xl

Comment

I hope they stick with it - My 16yr old niece just made some top of the top elite softball team and is on her way this weekend to showcase herself for the second D1 school in the last few weeks. The first one she visited made her an offer within an hour of watching her do drills. She is a pretty special ball player but she has spent a LOT of time working on it and her parents have spent a LOT of money supporting her efforts. Crazy to me that they are getting to them so young these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                                I hope they stick with it - My 16yr old niece just made some top of the top elite softball team and is on her way this weekend to showcase herself for the second D1 school in the last few weeks. The first one she visited made her an offer within an hour of watching her do drills. She is a pretty special ball player but she has spent a LOT of time working on it and her parents have spent a LOT of money supporting her efforts. Crazy to me that they are getting to them so young these days.

Yep. I know a girl that has had D1 schools looking at her at 14. Made starting varsity as a freshman and also played for the Bombers Gold team. She is unreal to watch

Comment

Working...
                                X