Whole Piglet on a Gas Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole Piglet on a Gas Grill

Well I killed a 30Lbs hog last night and I want to try and slow cook it whole but on a propane grill. I just tested the grill and I can get it to hold at 150-175 with one burner.

I currently have the pig in a Ginger Ale bath. (I heard Ted Nugent say this is the best brine but I have not tried it yet.) I figured I would let it sit until tomorrow around noon. Total of 33 Hours.

I plan on setting some foil down on top of the grill then coating the entire hog in whatever pork rub I find at the store and putting the pig on the grill with a bowl of apple juice. To finish I thought I would baste it with BBQ sauce. Should I wrap it in foil and do the 3-2-1 method? (3 Hours - 2 hours wrapped in foil - 1 hour unwrapped with bbq sauce)

If my recipe or method is wrong or you have something better please let me know. This is my first time doing this. I do have a backup dinner if this turns out bad.

This is what I am working with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Never done it so won't suggest any advice other than upping cook temp about 75-100 degrees, if possible. Maybe one of those smoke tubes add-ons for a bit of smoke?

In for results.

Comment

How many rows of burners do you have? I would suggest at least the middle row on. To try and heat as evenly as possible. I would also go up to 200-225 or so.

Comment

For something like pulled pork you want to get up to 205. I don't think that you are going to be able to get to that temperature in 6 hours (3-2-1). I could be wrong.

The last hind quarter that I smoked stalled for about 3 hours around 160. Maybe I should have wrapped it, but I wasn't in a hurry. I just let it roll.

Comment

I tried a recipe on ribs and coated them with a dry rub and yellow mustard. They turned out great. I am not a fan of BBQ sauce at all. I rarely use or eat BBQ sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
              How many rows of burners do you have? I would suggest at least the middle row on. To try and heat as evenly as possible. I would also go up to 200-225 or so.
              I have a 4 burner Char-Broil Tru Infrared Commercial Series. I can definitely make it hotter so that shouldn’t be a problem.
              Glad you said middle I was going to put it on one side and just rotate it every hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                I tried a recipe on ribs and coated them with a dry rub and yellow mustard. They turned out great. I am not a fan of BBQ sauce at all. I rarely use or eat BBQ sauce.
                I did this on a brisket last weekend for the first time and it turned out great. I usually just add the rub but will be using mustard from now on.

Comment

Ive done one on smoker at 225 or so and turned out well. Of course a bit more wild game flavor than usual but works well. Defiantly up the temp a bit or youll be in the danger zone as they call it way to long for bacteria 40-140 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                    I did this on a brisket last weekend for the first time and it turned out great. I usually just add the rub but will be using mustard from now on.
                    I haven't tried it on a brisket yet. But it was great. I have heard, not tried, that the coffee ground rubs are great as well. I plan to give that a try soon.

Comment

I would also inject the shoulders and hind quarters with the injection of your choosing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                        I would also inject the shoulders and hind quarters with the injection of your choosing.
                        I was thinking about doing this glad someone else supports this. It’s getting added to the grocery list.

I will cook this tomorrow and post pics along the way

Comment

Originally posted by LMiz View Post
                          I was thinking about doing this glad someone else supports this. It’s getting added to the grocery list.

I will cook this tomorrow and post pics along the way
                          No such thing as too much injection.

Comment

It's an incredible pain, but next time - leave the skin on and take the hair off.

You can use a propane torch and knife or dip it in scalding water and scrape. It's not pretty or fun, but you will be rewarded with a better-tasting product

Comment

Now we wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X