Plasma or cutting torch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma or cutting torch?

Hey TBHers, I want to start welding and trying to build up my equipment. I currently have a Lincoln 225 stick and Fire Power 120 amp mig units, saw and grinders.

My question is in yalls opinion, as a beginner would you go plasma cutter or torch next? Pros and cons of each?

I'll be in my garage doing feeders, stands, projects for wife and other fun stuff. Thanks in advance, I have really enjoyed all the info from you guys and no doubt y'all will steer me in the right direction.

Forgot to mention I do have a makita 3hp 5 gallon compressor

Comment

It's good to learn and have a torch first in my opinion. You can use it to cut and bend material. Plasma is also a good tool but if you are just starting out there are a lot of applications you can use a torch for and at a cheaper price point.

When you get a** deep into it like I am you will lose your mind and go buy a Hypertherm 85 plasma to play with! Lol

Comment

get you a gas cutting rig, learn to burn........ there is a time and a place for a plasma but unless you are doing a ton on non-ferrous work a gas rig will get serve you better. you can also use a gas rig for ornamental, preheating and oxy-fuel welding tasks.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
          It's good to learn and have a torch first in my opinion. You can use it to cut and bend material. Plasma is also a good tool but if you are just starting out there are a lot of applications you can use a torch for and at a cheaper price point.

When you get a** deep into it like I am you will lose your mind and go buy a Hypertherm 85 plasma to play with! Lol
          Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
          get you a gas cutting rig, learn to burn........ there is a time and a place for a plasma but unless you are doing a ton on non-ferrous work a gas rig will get serve you better. you can also use a gas rig for ornamental, preheating and oxy-fuel welding tasks.
          Great advice here!

Comment

What this feller said ^^^. I've been welding most of my adult life. And I'm get-n old . Been in a lot of different industries. Get you a cutting rig and learn all the ins and outs with it. It is also more portable than a plasma. You can cut thicker metal than a plasma too.

Comment

Fuel/oxy torch first. Portability and the ability to do more than just cut - you can braze multiple metals and silver solder in addition to using heat from the torch on other things.

Just yesterday my FIL needed to change out the blades on his hay cutter. He'd rounded off the heads of both bolts holding the blades on before he came to me for help. A little heat from the cutting torch and I was able to break the bolts loose.

Comment

Yup. Plasma cutters are GREAT for what they are for. But a torch is much more versatile.

Comment

Plasma cutters are awesome tools and have their place but a torch is a better all around piece of equipment. Along with cutting, you can heat and bend stuff with a torch that you cant do with a plasma cutter. Guess while you are at it you might as well go ahead and buy both If I had to buy one or the other I'd go with a torch set up.

Comment

Thanks guys great info. Looks like I'll be getting a torch setup.

Comment

more uses for a torch. I vote torch

Comment

Just used a torch for the first time this weekend. Way fun! Definitely some skill to it but I was able to make straight cuts using a fence. Also heat straightened a frame with it, which I could not have done at all without the torch

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                          Just used a torch for the first time this weekend. Way fun! Definitely some skill to it but I was able to make straight cuts using a fence. Also heat straightened a frame with it, which I could not have done at all without the torch
                          Glad it worked out for you buddy!

Comment

Love my hypertherm....but wish I had a torch sometimes.

Comment

I have both and also suggest torch first. I would also suggest buying a good torch. If taken care of it will last a lifetime and there is a huge difference between cheap torches and good ones. I am a Victor only guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X