You got a recipe for me? 6.5cm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You got a recipe for me? 6.5cm

I have a 24" 1-8 twist 140gr barrel from Long Rifles Inc mated with my Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5cm. It shoots factory ammo well, 140gr hornady stuff and the 143gr hornady eld-x, plus 130gr prime ammo.

I am looking to reload the 143gr eld-x stuff and have acquired some H4350 so just looking for a recipe for long range shooting and hunting

I'd start around 42gr and move up in increments (.2) from there until you find the sweet spot for your rifle. I think 43gr is the "max load" in many reloading manuals and I know people will push slightly beyond it. My rifle shot .5" with 42gr, so I was willing to leave some speed on the table.

Comment

I would definitely NOT start at 42 gn - that's 0.5 gn OVER the maximum load Hornady recommends.

Comment

I use Hodgdon's website for mine. For that heavy a bullet and H4350, Hodgdon's site starts you at 36-37 grains and give max loads of around 40-40.5. Yeah yeah I know you can go over this info and may not see pressure issues but, IMHO, I'd pay fairly close attention to their numbers.

Comment

41.6 Gr of H4350 is what mine likes

Comment

My rifle (Jon Beanland built R-700 with a Bartlein barrel) likes 42.3 of H-4350 with the 143 ELD-X, CCI BR-2, OAL of 2.810 and Hornady brass. No pressure problems in my rifle. I know that is over book max, but right around that range is a very common known accuracy node with that combination and bullets in the 140 class. I have 5-6 firings on most of my brass and primer pockets are still fine. Of course that does not necessarily mean your rifle can handle that charge weight, but I bet it will come close being a quality built rifle with good components. Obviously you still need to work up. If you don't find a node between 41.5 and 42.5 with that combination I would be VERY surprised.

Hodgden is normally pretty conservative with their published load data

The current lots of H-4350 are just a touch slower than some of the older lots that I had, and require a few tenths more powder to get back on the node with the same velocity.

If the H-4350 doesn't work out for you, next powder I would try would be IMR-4451. Very comparable to to H-4350 in performance, but from most of what I hear the node with it usually ends up being just a hair slower that H-4350 in the 6.5 Creedmoor. It was in my rifle for sure, by about 40-50 fps.

Comment

Agree with you, Jethro, and mine likes 42+ as well. It's still downright dangerous to suggest someone start over max.

Comment

For sure. Finding a node where you expect it after carefully working up is one thing. Jumping straight to that by just assuming is something totally different.

Comment

Goodness, I too had read many around the 42gr mark so I assumed my low node would be around that also. I dont care much about speed so the lower node is fine with me.... I dont really want to rebarrel anytime soon so getting more life out of the barrel ranks high as does accuracy at longer distances.

Comment

If you can make 42-42.5 that will be high node for sure with a 143. Some folks can't make that node. Mostly that happens with factory barreled rifles, but some customs too. If you can't make high node at 42+, really good chance you can catch the lower node down around 40.5 to 41, somewhere in there. At least that is a pretty common place for folks to find it. It depends though on quite a few factors. Barrel length, whether you are running a can, and so on.

If you can't catch high node with H-4350, it really isn't a big deal unless you are wanting to wring the absolute max out of it and take it out past 1250-1300. If you can't get it with 4350 but want all you can get, then try 4451. It seems it peaks a little different, it is a frog hair slower than 4350. Might be you could catch high node with it.

Or just run it. Barrel life has a whole lot to do with how hot you run your barrel. I am bad about getting out there in the summer and just banging away on steel, and not letting it cool enough. That is hard on them. You will probably be nicer to your barrel than I am to mine.

BTW, I have lots of steel and some good places to shoot. We aren't that far apart. We should get together sometime and shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                      My rifle (Jon Beanland built R-700 with a Bartlein barrel) likes 42.3 of H-4350 with the 143 ELD-X, CCI BR-2, OAL of 2.810 and Hornady brass. No pressure problems in my rifle. I know that is over book max, but right around that range is a very common known accuracy node with that combination and bullets in the 140 class. I have 5-6 firings on most of my brass and primer pockets are still fine. Of course that does not necessarily mean your rifle can handle that charge weight, but I bet it will come close being a quality built rifle with good components. Obviously you still need to work up. If you don't find a node between 41.5 and 42.5 with that combination I would be VERY surprised.

Hodgden is normally pretty conservative with their published load data

The current lots of H-4350 are just a touch slower than some of the older lots that I had, and require a few tenths more powder to get back on the node with the same velocity.

If the H-4350 doesn't work out for you, next powder I would try would be IMR-4451. Very comparable to to H-4350 in performance, but from most of what I hear the node with it usually ends up being just a hair slower that H-4350 in the 6.5 Creedmoor. It was in my rifle for sure, by about 40-50 fps.

X2!!

Couldn’t agree more with Jethro. My wife’s Creedmoor uses 42.3gr of H4350 with Berger 140gr HVLD and 140gr Elite Hunter to produce 2825fps and 2810fps in a 24” tube and sub .5moa out to 600yds; with some groups in the .2s. I’m currently working up a load for my full blown custom 6.5cm built by Mike Bryant. I’m very short on free time with deer season in full swing at the ranch but so far it looks like it will be somewhere between 42gr and 42.6gr. I use Lapua small primer brass.

Disclaimer: Just because it works for me, please do your own development and be careful! My loads are only offered as an educational example and should NOT be taken as a “recipe” for others to use. This load may not be safe in other rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Running a can and 24” barrel

Comment

My rpr shoots 143s on top of 42.4 grains of 4350 in 1 tiny little hole.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAg'13 View Post
                            My rpr shoots 143s on top of 42.4 grains of 4350 in 1 tiny little hole.

How far off the lands are you?

Comment

Originally posted by bear View Post
                              How far off the lands are you?
                              Loading them to mag length in accurate mag 10 rounders. Haven't loaded them any longer so I'm not sure what the jump is.

Comment

Working...
                              X