Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This one turned out very good..

Comment

I've been messing with mine for a while and have learned 1) make sure to dry meat very well before searing in cast iron 2) no need to rest meat afterwards and 3) while you CAN cook for extended periods of time, longer is not always better. Texture is affected after a certain point.

I'm with some of the above posters. In MY opinion, no butter/oil in the bag. Save that for the cast iron...

"Intuitively, you may think that adding a flavorful fat, like butter or olive oil, will in turn help create a more flavorful steak. In fact, it turns out that this achieves the opposite goal: It dilutes flavor. Fat-soluble flavor compounds dissolve in the melted butter or oil and end up going down the drain later. Similarly, flavors extracted from aromatics end up diluted. For best results, place your seasoned steak in a bag with no added fats."

Lots of good info regarding differing cook times, temps, etc of steak, complete with side-by-side comparisons.
      Last edited by BlackHogDown; 09-10-2019, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I usually don't put any butter or anything in the bag either. I have found that if doing steaks or venison, I like to take the juice that is left over inside the bag and add to some mushrooms with a little red wine and butter in a pan on the stove and cook down. Adds some really good flavor.

Comment

I like to pat the meat dry before searing as well. I save the juice and pour that back over the meat after I sear it.

Comment

I like to do any type of vension roast

Comment

anyone use mayo on for searing?

Comment

The only thing I use mine for is reheating pre made meals.

Comment

how about venison backstrap? temp and how long? want to do this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by PROLINE19 View Post
                    how about venison backstrap? temp and how long? want to do this weekend.
                    Whole or already butterfly?

Whole - 129-131 for 2.5hrs
                    Cut - 129 for 2 hours.

That's how i do mine and they always come out med rare like I like.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

thx these are still whole. have you sv with backstrap stuffed with cheese and mushroom?

Comment

Working...
                      X