Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
    It is called quality of life.

How many people on this board yearn to "get out of the city" and live in their barndo on 40 acres in Boerne, Weatherford or Van?

No matter if they make less money, they are seeking that quality of life.

If you're a lgbtwlmnop Software Engineer why would you want to go to Texas which is not promoted as one of the most "progressive" states in the union?

If you're living that lifestyle California and NYC you see tons of them walking down the street holding hands and kissing at bars.

That ain't happening in The Woodlands or Frisco.

Yes, some companies are relocating

But if you're really in the hard core tech industry you'll know that The Bay Area is the Holy Gail for that VC money.

Google Uber Apple Amazon are basically down the street from one another

Then, they can't walk down the street and smoke weed like they can in California

Folks under 30 years old have totally different set of criteria than a 40+ deer hunter

I want people to work in Texas but the good candidates are on the coasts and want to work remotely from there.

And you're using uhaul stats.

LoL

Who uses uhaul to move these days?

Do you know what uhaul's customer base demographic is?

If you make 100k+ why are you worried about spending $20 plus $1 a mile on a truck?

Genentech pilfered two of my employees last year.

They both got moving allowances and are living in $6k per month corporate housing out there until they got situated.

They didn't worry about uhaul.

I know what I paid them and they told me the amount Genentech offered would be foolish for them to pass up.

So I'm sure it was over 200k

On the weather...

You could pay me three times what I make now to live and work in Wisconsin and I would not do it.

On new years day I had my annual bbq and I walked around my yard barefoot and in shorts.

Can't do that in Madison.

Other enjoyment factors...

Transportation to the office

In the bay area and NYC they catch subways/public transportation

Is that really a thing in Austin Houston or Dallas?

I will say that SXSW sheds a great light on Austin for many out of towners

What does houston have? The Rodeo? LoL!

I love it but city folk from the coasts aren't fond of farm animals or 26 days of Florida Georgia Line, Luke Bryan and Kenny Chesney.

We don’t need that much public trans because we like to drive ourselves! Besides they tax u to death for automobiles up north and in Cali. Houston is close to great fishing and hunting as well as a great housing market. Next...

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
      Houston is close to great fishing and hunting as well as a great housing market. Next...
      27 year old software engineers with 5 years experience don't care about any of that.

Wait.

How did we get here? On this topic.

Something something about the economy.

Oh anyhow, the silicon valley tech scene is filled with foreigners from the middle East and east Asia so when all that tech moves to Austin they are bringing the H1-B visa holders with them.

With that will come much of the things TBH complain about.

Oh, silicon valley doesn't usually vote Republican so that's another thing to get ready for.
      A purple Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
        27 year old software engineers with 5 years experience don't care about any of that.

Wait.

How did we get here? On this topic.

Something something about the economy.

Oh anyhow, the silicon valley tech scene is filled with foreigners from the middle East and east Asia so when all that tech moves to Austin they are bringing the H1-B visa holders with them.

With that will come much of the things TBH complain about.

Oh, silicon valley doesn't usually vote Republican so that's another thing to get ready for.
        A purple Texas.
        I do agree with this, Texas will become a swing state very soon.

Comment

Working...
        X