Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
    And how did I know that would be your reply? lol

As far as the .308, I threw that in the mix just to ruffle some feathers but to also make a point. What's one of the calibers that a "new" calibers are always compared against when discussing ballistics? The .308 Hard to overlook a tried and true round. The threads of the "best" all around cartridge always make me snicker... There isn't a "best" round, only a "best" shot. It's ALL about shot placement. Every round has it's pros and cons. This is a bow hunting site (for the most part), right? How many of the large game that people reference in the "best" cartridge threads have been killed with a sharp pointy stick? Every one of them! When I see "best", whether it's a cartridge, broadhead, arrow, bow, etc., all I see is "what will make up for a poor shot placement"? Know your equipment, know yourself and know your limitations, that's "best" IMO

And I still lurk, just post a little more during hunting season these days.

Hope you're doing well
    Oh I agree. My caliber choice is usually based on non hunting scenarios. I only get picky on tough animals at distance. The 308 or even a 243 is fine for 99% of guys only shooting 100-200 yards.

Hope you’re doing good as well!!

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
      I guess man cards are in short supply these days!
      Not everyone is a big and tough a man as you are. Heck, you probably got a whole deck of man cards.
      What they may be, however, is responsible and intelligent, and if they're going to take long (500 yards or more) shots on game animals, they probably will have practiced quite a bit to be confident they can make that shot.
      The twice-a-year shot you can make every time... the 100 yarder from a stable rest out of your La-Z-Boy in a heated blind with a Yeti of steaming coffee in the cup holder next to you... that shot you don't need a .300 WM for. For that shot a .300 WM is equivalent to a 12" lift and 42" tires on your F350 with a 10" stack sticking 6' out of the bed. Peeny weenie stuff... not man card stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
        This is a bow hunting site (for the most part), right?
        lol... I wish but I don't think so. I'd guess the majority of posters every day don't bow hunt and certainly if you look at the proportion of threads you'd be hard pressed to call this a bow hunting forum anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
          lol... I wish but I don't think so. I'd guess the majority of posters every day don't bow hunt and certainly if you look at the proportion of threads you'd be hard pressed to call this a bow hunting forum anymore.
          i agree with that. don't know if the general poster is aging and now getting back into guns or what. but, certainly it is less bowhunting focused than it used to be.

Comment

300wm

Comment

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
              2 shots? For me, it’s hundreds of shots (if not more). Set up at 1,000 and shoot 40 rounds with a RUM and then slide on over to the smart mat and watch me ring steel at 800. If I’m going to shoot at an animal, I’m for sure putting the range time in. You are correct there is always a hot item and a new approach in driving ammo and rifle sales. However, the necked down magnum approach with very little seated bullet allows for tons of powder capacity all while creating a more stable bullet as it leaves the case. Low drag and long bullets are resulting in better long range accuracy. Again, the average joe deer hunter doesn’t really use the difference. For a sheep/mountain long range hunting rifle it does.

Snipers coming out of the woodwork!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sectxag06 View Post
                i disagree. the WSMs were a fad. with the advancements in bullets and of our better understanding, 6.5CM is here to stay.
                When was WSM'S a fad? Not sure of a lot of dudes running around with a 7mm wsm or .270 wsm?

I think this whole thread got out of focus. His original question was which caliber would be suited best for deer and elk in the future. A 6.5 creedmoor is not an elk gun.

I agree that this form has shifted focus from bow hunting to guns, but people have strong opinions about both on here.
                Last edited by Arrowthreat; 11-20-2018, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                  Snipers coming out of the woodwork!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Ohhh let me clarify. Sniper is assuming I can shoot, I’m just stating while trying to shoot I like to subject myself to less recoil.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                    A 6.5 creedmoor is not an elk gun.
                    It is if you kill an elk with it, which it is perfectly capable of doing.
                    I hunted in Chama this September and all of the guides had taken elk with .243s. I guess that's not an elk gun either.

Comment

We need to talk our brethren out of this "one gun to do it all" nonsense. 6.5 Creed and 300 WM are a perfect combination, because you could just about always make a case that one is better than the other for a given task. A big muley or axis are right on the dividing line, but only because either is an excellent choice for them.

Add a 5.56 AR, and you'd have three guns that really could excel at *everything*. And to me that's much more interesting than The One Gun compromise.

Comment

Working...
                      X