OnX app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OnX app

So after hearing about this app for a while now I thought I'd check it out with a 7 day free trial. After spending the last 15 min tooling around with it, it sure seems all the hype is spot on. What a great tool for people to find landowners with addresses in order to mail lease request. I only hope that I get to go out west again next year so I can use it on a hunt.

I don't do much public land hunting, which I think had a lot to do with why the app was developed, but it has come in handy for much more than that. I started with a free trial, then got a 30% off offer for Father's Day or something like that and decided to try it. I like it and a lot of the features.

Comment

Sure was handy in limited public access units in Wyoming this year

Comment

Yessir. One of the best hunting apps out there, if not THE best.

Comment

It's an awesome tool!! On sale now at camofire... $60 for the entire country or $18 for one state...

Comment

I didn't have any luck with it when I used it in Colorado for an elk hunt. The only time I could see the map was when I was on top of the mountain at about 9500ft. The only thing I could get it to do was track my movements. It ended up being nothing more than a dotted line on a white screen. Not sure if I didn't have it set up right or what the issue was.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
              I didn't have any luck with it when I used it in Colorado for an elk hunt. The only time I could see the map was when I was on top of the mountain at about 9500ft. The only thing I could get it to do was track my movements. It ended up being nothing more than a dotted line on a white screen. Not sure if I didn't have it set up right or what the issue was.
              I think you can use it offline if you load the maps beforehand. I might be wrong about that, but I think I read that on bowsite.

Comment

You have to down load maps ahead of time so you have them in places were there is no cell service... It's in the "off the grid" feature.

Comment

Saves my rear when duck hunting in the marsh with no service. Pre download my map area and I can see where I am as well as all my marked locations. Great tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, just download the map of your hunting area and it works fine with no cell coverage. A lot cheaper than buying a Garmin!

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                      I think you can use it offline if you load the maps beforehand. I might be wrong about that, but I think I read that on bowsite.
                      Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                      You have to down load maps ahead of time so you have them in places were there is no cell service... It's in the "off the grid" feature.
                      Now you tell me!! LOL

I figured it was something I did (or didn't do) wrong. Thanks.

Comment

Don't forget that this APP collects data and what permissions it requires for you to use it.
                        Look at what Strava has done/is doing to the cycling community with the creation of heat maps and displaying data sets. Military bases along with local hush hush trail systems have been exposed.

Soon, your secret hunting spots will be public knowledge should you place pins and locations on the app.

I use it for land owner info and satellite photos. No longer will I place pins or track routes.

Comment

Now you tell me!! LOL

I figured it was something I did (or didn't do) wrong. Thanks.
                          Make sure you turn on all the layers you want available while offline prior to saving/downloading your ‘off grid map’.

Comment

I am finding the app very useful and I use it more than my garmin oregon 600 handheld gps. This is my first year on my new lease, and it helped me scout my spots, find my blinds in the dark before I remember the way, helped me find my way to the other guys spots when they asked me to go by and check on something for them.
                            I downloaded the app on my wife's phone and both my son's phones SO they can all have a gps, as well as a backup phone that I use as an sd card reader to check trail cams. You can log into it from as many devices as you want.
                            You can also use it on your computer.
                            From there you can import waypoints you have stored on other gps units or computer. Using GPX, KMZ/KML FILES.
                            So many useful layers, even a marine/nautical chart layer. I backed up all my fishing waypoints from gps to my on x map too.
                            As others have said be sure and download the area you will be going, and switch to off grid when you lose cell service for it to function properly.
                            You can save multiple offline maps for use in different areas, as 5 mile, 10 mile, and 100 mile sections with the 5 mile having the best resolution.
                            Definitely worth te $30 I paid
                            Attached Files

Comment

Are all maps updated every year or two? I found something vague on their site about public lands but wasn't clear on others. Do they pull from google or some other source?

Comment

Working...
                              X