No announcement yet.

What all do you eat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in the same boat. I never did until I started getting into the Meateater seasons. Shot a buck last weekend and saved the heart, liver, and caul fat. Used a couple of Steve Rinellas recipes for each and I’ve gotta say, I will never leave those parts in the field again. Marinaded the heart after trimming in olive oil, worstershire, and red wine vinegar overnight. Medium rare on grill. It was like a filet. AWESOME. For the liver, I used a british meatball recipe to help ease myself into the idea of liver. Used the caul fat as a casing of sorts and it was way better than I ever would have thought. I had low expectations, but it was wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
      I eat it all and have for my entire life just like my parents and grandparents do.

Heart, kidneys, tongue, testicles, marrow

Only thing I don’t like is liver... but one of these days I’m gonna try one of steve’s Recipes for it to see if I can enjoy it
      Try this recipe out. He used it in one of his episodes. It was really good and pretty easy to make. https://honest-food.net/faggots-reci...ish-meatballs/

Comment

Originally posted by stephens6 View Post
        Try this recipe out. He used it in one of his episodes. It was really good and pretty easy to make. https://honest-food.net/faggots-reci...ish-meatballs/
        I’ll definitely have to give that a shot cause regular ol liver and onions just doesn’t do it for me, no matter who makes it, just ain’t very good.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
          I’ll definitely have to give that a shot cause regular ol liver and onions just doesn’t do it for me, no matter who makes it, just ain’t very good.

It’s only 25% liver. I had low expectations after seeing the liver run through my meat grinder, but it came together very nicely. After everything was ground up, I ran it through a processor to blend and mix better. Let me know what you think. It was a big hit at our friends thanksgiving this year. People who had no experience with eating game meat really enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We like elk heart. Don't care for deer heart or any liver.

Comment

I watched him fry deer heart. It looked good. However, most of my hearts have had a BH ran through them.

Comment

I love the heart. Slice it into thin pieces deep fry and salt.yum. Don't like any liver though.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. It is interesting to see the differences between everyone.

Comment

I've always saved and eaten deer hearts. Roll the slices in salt, pepper and flour then fry in butter or lard. Breakfast of champions!

ALL deer here in the swamp country of Minnesota have liver flukes so the liver stays in the woods. Do you guys see evidence of flukes in the livers?

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                      I've eatin heart,tongue,liver and tripe. But not out of a deer. I suppose it'd taste the same out of them than it does a cow or anything else.
                      Actually, deer liver is milder than beef liver. I like it. If you don’t like liver, you won’t like deer liver.

Comment

MeatEater got me to start saving lots of the guts out of my deer. I eat the hearts, just battered and chicken-fried. I tried the livers, couldn’t get into it. Nowadays I take the liver, kidneys, lungs, and spleen and run them through my dehydrator to make dog treats. Those deer treats bring a whole new level of attention and obedience out of my old cowdog mutt. I saved the tongues for the first time this year, I’ll give those a try here in a few weeks. Got a good laugh from my brother-in-law earlier this year, after he saw how much I saved from the guts, he looked at it said “man, that’s the kind of gut pile that’d make a coyote ask to speak to the manager!”

Comment

The heart is my favorite part of the deer to eat. Thin sliced and chicken fried its as good as tenderloin.

Comment

I wont eat any organ meat.

Comment

Sorry, but guts is guts!!!

Comment

My dad used to save and we would eat the liver, heart, every time and a lot of times the kidneys, brain and tongue.

Comment

Working...
                                X