Advice on lifting an 05' Jeep Wrangler TJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on lifting an 05' Jeep Wrangler TJ

I bought my son his first vehicle. A very well taken care of Jeep all stock. He wants to get it lifted but not something crazy. I've been looking at 2.5" or 4" lift kits from either Rough Country or Sky Jacker (does not have to be one of those brands). My question is... How big of a tire will fit and what is the minimum size tire that would not look odd (too small). Advice is appreciated!

Other concerns are

1. how does it affect the ride
    2. safety issues (worried not only about being top heavy but maybe other issues)
    3. are there other "hidden" things I need to consider

I just noticed kits give a max recommendation tire size for each lift I'm wondering if I can keep the ones on it now without it looking goofy though.

Comment

Here's my 97. Highlined and trimmed. No lift but sitting on 35's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Those tires and wheels should look just fine with a 2-3" lift!

Comment

I like OME lifts.

This system will allow fitment of 32" tall tires for maximum performance. Larger tires will require fitment of a body lift.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I can use all the advice I can get.

Comment

Rubicon Express 3.5" would be a nice middle ground. Mine with Bilsteins rode very well on the highway. 285/75/16 would be my recommendation without any trimming. I ended up trimming the fenders and running 35s. It would have ran them without trimming, but would have had some running at full flex.

Comment

I just got off the phone with someone that reccomended the Rubicon 3.5" lift lol. I know at 4" I'll have to do more work on the vehicle. I assume 3.5" would be the same? From what I father anything over 3" you need to have more work done.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                  This!

Comment

What engine, standard, and gears makes a huge difference in tire sizes

Comment

4.0 auto. Not looking for huge tires (yet lol) just want something to look good and fill up the tire well. I'd imagine 33's would be the largest I'd like to go with. it has 31's now.
                      Last edited by BuckRage; 05-15-2017, 02:53 PM.

Comment

3.5 will almost guaranteed need a SYE. I didn't have a need for it on my Rubicon though. If I was to do it over I'd most likely stay around 2-2.5" and do a high line kit as above. I prefer the lower center of gravity though. I've been out of the jeep game for too long to remember specifics.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                          X3

Comment

I went with a Zone Off-road 3" lift on mine. I thought the 31's that were already on it would look fine. I was wrong, I immediately put 33"s on it.
                            Sorry I don't have pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

thanks for all the replies! I'm leaning towards 2.5-3" with 33's now myself. I just really dislike the idea of not knowing exactly what you're gonna get when you do a lift on these. Looks like everyone has different experiences. Some come out perfect others need to tweak and/or add parts to make it drive/handle better. I'm leaning towards RE but Skyjacker price is making it hard to look over...
                              Last edited by BuckRage; 05-15-2017, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X