Favorite Broadhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom View Post
    I think he was just kidding about using Rage broadheads.....
    If only....

He is serious.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

If I were shooting a 35 or 40lb bow I wouldn't. But at over 200fps I think it's worth trying. Sorry you don't agree.
      Like I said. When I find a decent, affordable, wide cut head that flies well I will use it. But if the Hypodermic works why are you so against it being used?

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        If I were shooting a 35 or 40lb bow I wouldn't. But at over 200fps I think it's worth trying. Sorry you don't agree.
        Like I said. When I find a decent, affordable, wide cut head that flies well I will use it. But if the Hypodermic works why are you so against it being used?

Gary
        But you didn't ask the OP what poundage he/she was going to buy in their new Yukon to know. In fact, have you shot a Yukon? When asked for a recommendation for their new Yukon, your reply was "rage."

Again, I don't care what you use... but you just delved out advice/recommendation to use a rage broadhead on a bow you have never shot or tuned out of. And you are promoting a head that plenty of folks have tried out of stick bows along the way and have had less than desirable results.

I guess I take advice-giving kind of seriously when it comes to traditional bowhunting. As you well know... it is not easy... can be expensive... and frustrating. It can be a lot easier if people are given, and they take, solid advice from folks in our small community.

Comment

Personally, I like 300-grain single-bevel Tuffheads (225-gr. head, plus 75-gr. adapter). Worked well on a big hog -- good blood, short track. Some smaller ones had sparser blood trails, leading me to order some 3-blade VPA (also 300-grain) to try on future hogs, strictly for the blood-trail aspect.

Will stick with Tuffheads for deer.

As far as the Rages Gary is advocating, I can attest to watching him make a short (under 10-yard) shot right behind the front shoulder on a running 125-lb hog that resulted in buckets of blood pouring from a massive 2-inch wound and less than 25-yard track to doornail dead. Now, he's shooting -- I think -- about a 60-lb bow. So, such an arrow/broadhead combo may not work for everyone. As he mentioned, he's getting fast arrow flight from that set-up.

In other words, different things may work better or worse depending on individual equipment, animals being hunted, and even situations anticipated on a given hunt. A spot-and-stalk hunt for spooky hogs, where shots might be close and quick, with a premium placed on blood-trailing, a wider-cutting head could be useful. Hunting a fixed feeder set-up with a given expected range for whitetails may call for a completely different type of head.

Comment

I think I just realized the problem in our little discussion here.

Some of us are responding to the thread title: "Favorite Broadhead"

Others are directing answers toward OP's request for a recommendation for a Yukon.

I must confess to telling what I like and why. To answer the OP's question about a Sarrels Yukon may require more information, anyway, such as at least draw weight.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              Do you know what weight you need? Some people pick the head they want to use and tune the arrow back from there. I did it the other way around - I tuned to use a 150 grain head (145 field point w/a 5gr washer) then started experimenting with broad heads of that weight. As far as two blade heads I am using the Grizzly Samurai single bevels. In a 3 blade I have had success with the Woodsman Elite and the VPA.
              Looking at 175 gr.

Shooting 50lbs.

Thanks
              Last edited by MIHunter; 09-25-2018, 01:05 PM.

Comment

He asked for a person's favorite head. That's mine. And TT I've taken two since that one. All under 100lbs. All at less than 20 yards. One about 12 the third at 15ish.
                SR the elitist attitude shows when you try to tell someone that their knowledge, experience and opinion means nothing and it has to be as you say.
                I'll admit I'm that way on some things.
                The reality is I don't post kills on here with those heads because of folks like you.
                It may be that over time and experience I determine I like a fixed head better.
                Just food for thought, other people kill deer with Rage heads out of trad bows. Happens all the time. But those guys don't talk about it because of this. They just enjoy the venison.

Gary

Comment

And right now I used 60 grains of insert weights to get the 160 I need up front.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by MIHunter View Post
                    Looking at 175 gr.

Shooting 50lbs.

Thanks
                    My rig is 50lbs @28" and I have had great success with 175 gr Zwickey No Mercy broadheads. This year I'm trying 175 gr VPA's. Like said above, as long as you can get them razor sharp and put them in the vitals, most any broadhead will do the job. Good Luck this year!!

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                      I've pretty much come to the conclusion that brand of broadheads doesn't really matter, as long as they are sharp and are well tuned to your bow.
                      I agree with Phillip!
                      That’s all I’m gonna say...................

Comment

125 grain muzzy nothing has run away yet shooting Black Widow 52# 28"draw

Comment

Iron Will Outfitters.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            He asked for a person's favorite head.
                            he asked for a recommendation for his Yukon longbow.

SR the elitist attitude shows when you try to tell someone that their knowledge, experience and opinion means nothing and it has to be as you say.
                            I own a dictionary. But this is going to be about perspective. You think I am being a snob about a piece of equipment... I think you are being irresponsible recommending a piece of equipment that wasn't designed with "traditional" uses in mind.

The reality is I don't post kills on here with those heads because of folks like you.
                            Folks like me?

Comment

Ok I can’t leave it there..
                              MIHunter, to better answer your question we will need a few more details. What poundage are you shooting and at what draw length? Are you shooting woods or carbon ect....

On the “rage” issue.. by definition an eletist is someone that is considered superior by others or themselves as in intellect, talent, power, wealth, or position in society.
                              In that respect I know Scott doesn’t consider hisself an eletist but by definition I do. He is my superior in MANY ways by the definition alone!!
                              I would also venture to say without hesitation that he is many others superior in the Trad community. in his short time in his journey he has already successfully reached a level that some will never achieve in accuracy, kills, ethics , ect,ect, blah blah blah.......

And I’ll never agree that shooting a rage out of Trad equipment is a good idea. The negatives simply out weighs the positives.
                              Last edited by Randy Madden; 09-25-2018, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I haven't seen the negative yet.
                                If one is going off of just what they're told by another and never takes the opportunity to try it themselves then they don't know.
                                I have seen no science produced by anyone here that shows they don't work. Rage says they need 40lbs of kinetic energy to work.
                                Charts show my set up produces more than that.
                                That is enough real information to make me give it a real effort.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X