RyeGrass food plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RyeGrass food plot

Awhile back I talked to the County Agent for Trinity county on what to plant. His 1st recommendation was to plant annual rye grass. I thought whoa most folks don't say to plant it. Secondly he recommended I plant a Pennington brand seed mix. I know folks say they kill deer over rye grass plots all the time. I have my tractor so I was thinking of mowing my food plot area real low then putting some Glysophate down. Then just broadcasting the Rye Grass to have them eat that. Then a few hundred yards away plant a kill plot of Clover. The land I'm hunting is backed up to the national forrest full of pine trees. If I plant the Rye Grass I can plant a bigger area due to cost.

Saw a video on youtube where a guy just put glysophate on his old cereal rye plot and just hand broadcasted and it grew.
    Last edited by Bumpy; 06-24-2017, 09:57 PM.

In

Comment

In

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Rye grass is a cool weather grass.

Comment

i doubt there is anything cheaper/easier and more all around reliable for hunting and rut recovery.

Comment

I over seed about half my place with annual ryegrass, but its for the cows. Hardly ever even see a deer on it. Oats, wheat, elbon rye, and clover go in my food plots and that's where the deer go.

Comment

Maybe it's just me but we haven't had any luck with deer eating the rye grass.

Comment

Deer won't touch rye grass. If you plant wheat you'll suck deer onto your place from miles away.

Comment

I consider them more browsers than grass eaters

Comment

I've been trying for years to get rid of every blade of rye grass on my farm { Unsuccessfully }! Extremely invasive, of marginal value and with time will choke out beneficials.

Now, elbon rye, different story. Love it.

Comment

Just say NO to rye grass. As elgato said, elbon rye is a different story. Most county agents are geared to cattle and ag. Food plots are neither. At this point in the year, you will be better served to get your plots ready for fall. Unless we keep getting rain, which is unlikely, plots planted now won't have much of a chance. It will be hot and dry before you know it. Spring plots should be planted in the late April to mid May time frame to be optimal for the summer.

Having said that, I planted iron clay peas in Trinity Co. about this time last year because it was so wet. Even at that, I planted in mud. I had a great crop that lasted until mid September but we got unexpected rain in August that helped push them through. I have peas knee high right now that were planted in May (Rusk Co.) but I fully expect them to be burned up in August if we have a normal summer. Peas are not that expensive to plant and would be a way better option than rye grass.

My opinion is: If you're gonna plant, go the whole hog. Get a soil test, amend the soil, get rid of your weeds, use the proper amount and type of fertilizer, plant something that is actually beneficial to the deer and that they will eat. Otherwise, you're wasting your time and money. Good luck !
                      Attached Files

Comment

. . . Oats, wheat, elbon rye, and clover go in my food plots and that's where the deer go.[/QUOTE]

Same.

Comment

Don't plant annual ryegrass for deer

Comment

Instead of ryegrass, do cereal rye this fall with some clover, brassica, and chicory. The clover and cereal rye will green back up in the spring and give you another seasons food plot for free. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                              Instead of ryegrass, do cereal rye this fall with some clover, brassica, and chicory. The clover and cereal rye will green back up in the spring and give you another seasons food plot for free. :-)

^ What he said!

Comment

Working...
                              X