Illinois is about to run out of "other people's money"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Illinois is about to run out of "other people's money"

There has been talk for years about Illinois going bankrupt - I guess they have kicked the can about as far as it can be kicked. Some of the numbers in this article are staggering, eg: currently spending $600 million A MONTH more than they are taking in....

Glad I don't live there. Sounds like taxes about to go up! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just sad!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Chi Town baby! Worst part of it all though is you, me and the rest of us will pay to bail them with our tax dollars or more federal debt (same either way) and they will continue to go along spending as they please.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
          Chi Town baby! Worst part of it all though is you, me and the rest of us will pay to bail them with our tax dollars or more federal debt (same either way) and they will continue to go along spending as they please.
          Federal Govt. won't bail them out if Chicago continues to be a sanctuary city. Just my random thought.

It boggles my mind that people think they can continue to spend spend spend without negative consequences. That strategy will only get you so far before something has to give.

Comment

I hope the unions have to face their members and tell them....its all gone, you better figure out a way to live on nothin.
            People will say its not the members fault, well i say horse hock, anyone with any sense at all can tell a Contract is a unrealistic

Comment

I should have said Illinois is slipping into "insolvency" instead of bankruptcy. Currently, states (unlike cities and counties) can't declare bankruptcy. In a bankruptcy they would just default on all their obligations (bonds and other debt, unfunded pension liabilities) and start over. The court would decide how the assets the state has left would be divided up. This would arguably be preferable - a clean break. It would be very painful for many but it would preclude the temptation for the Federal government to step in with some sort of bailout. However unless Congress changes the laws, Illinois is more likely to just go broke when they lose their ability to borrow - and that is real close to happening. The legislature would then finally be forced to make hard decisions, cutting entire spending programs, to avoid defaulting on bonds and pensions . A lot of hard working folks will get hosed and it will be sad and ugly. This has been brewing a long time but reality has caught up with them.
              Last edited by jerp; 06-21-2017, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                Glad I don't live there. Sounds like taxes about to go up! Lol

Yep and I'd bet 1/3 of them will end up in Texas and Florida and will bring their bankrupt ideology with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
                  Yep and I'd bet 1/3 of them will end up in Texas and Florida and will bring their bankrupt ideology with them.

Wooohooo! Just what we freaking need. They will end up in Austin no doubt....

Comment

Working...
                  X