Zuckerberg: Universal Basic Wage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Playa View Post
    I remember when Russia did that, except the called it Communism, and it failed and killed 20 MILLION people through starvation, lack of adequate living conditions and slaughtered by their own gov't.

But hey History has never repeated itself, so let's give it a shot there Mark.

You start by divying up your wealth and giving equal portions to every citizen. And you can never again live off of anymore than the basic universal wage..... how's that sound?
    But that wasn't REAL communism, surely it will work this time...

Comment

Says the guy with billions in the bank...

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
        No you got it wrong. He wants all of us that work for a living to give our money to those that don't.

Spoiler alert, LBJ beat him on enacting this plan by several decades.
        yes sir

Comment

People will not work harder if there is no incentive to....PERIOD.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
            I remember when Russia did that, except the called it Communism, and it failed and killed 20 MILLION people through starvation, lack of adequate living conditions and slaughtered by their own gov't.

But hey History has never repeated itself, so let's give it a shot there Mark.

You start by divying up your wealth and giving equal portions to every citizen. And you can never again live off of anymore than the basic universal wage..... how's that sound?
            Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
            Spoiler alert, LBJ beat him on enacting this plan by several decades.
            Nothing left to say; these two posts cover it all.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^ Agreed!

Comment

No, No, No we just don't understand, it's "Democratic" Communism. It'll be great! ;(

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
                  No, No, No we just don't understand, it's "Democratic" Communism. It'll be great! ;(
                  lol I remember that guy

Comment

I think what he is going for is this: many people are in the race to make ends meet, stuck doing jobs that they hate, and aren't good at, unable to pursue the jobs that they have natural giftings to do. not because they don't want to work and produce goods, but because they are stuck in a cycle of debt and cannot escape that to pursue the work that they would truly excel in, and find interesting, which would INCREASE productivity and quality since there would be passion behind their work.

I doubt he is saying we should give 10k to lazy people who don't want to do anything...

I'm all for empowering people to step into their true callings in life, it will produce far more benefits to the culture than people drudging on in their day to day monotony.

is his method the right one...i dont know.

ask yourself this question, Do I love what I do day-to-day and feel like I am helping to make the world a better place through my contributions at work?

if not - wouldn't you love the opportunity to shift into a position doing the thing you are gifted in, so you can grow and contribute to the world around you?

Comment

I for one welcome our new robot overlords!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
                        I think what he is going for is this: many people are in the race to make ends meet, stuck doing jobs that they hate, and aren't good at, unable to pursue the jobs that they have natural giftings to do. not because they don't want to work and produce goods, but because they are stuck in a cycle of debt and cannot escape that to pursue the work that they would truly excel in, and find interesting, which would INCREASE productivity and quality since there would be passion behind their work.

I doubt he is saying we should give 10k to lazy people who don't want to do anything...

I'm all for empowering people to step into their true callings in life, it will produce far more benefits to the culture than people drudging on in their day to day monotony.

is his method the right one...i dont know.

ask yourself this question, Do I love what I do day-to-day and feel like I am helping to make the world a better place through my contributions at work?

if not - wouldn't you love the opportunity to shift into a position doing the thing you are gifted in, so you can grow and contribute to the world around you?
                        Do you sell timeshares by chance?

Comment

His last name should start with an F

Comment

Originally posted by rferg84 View Post
                            His take though is that as technology advances, there could be a day where there is very little need for jobs.

A very real scenario most people do not think about.

Comment

The idea is they would first do away with all other safety net programs - welfare, food stamps, etc. Even with that, the studies I have read say it would only be revenue neutral if there was a phase-out of the benefit at some income level, so it would not be anywhere near "Universal." Like many progressive ideas it sounds good "in theory". The extra income could free people up to pursue their dreams and what they have a passion for. In theory this could unleash all kinds of hidden genius. (maybe?)
                              There are multiple downsides, IMO. First of all it fundamentally changes the relationship between the citizen and the state. We already have a sizable percentage of the population that sees the government as the provider of their needs. Do we want to expand that to everybody? Like many progressive ideas the flaw is due to their misunderstanding of basic human nature. When giving the chance, many, many people will take the path of least resistance - doing the least amount of work possible to get their basic needs met. It also cheapens the value of work. Any work - no matter how humble - builds character. Being self reliant adds meaning, purpose and a sense of self worth. Living off the labor of others - whether from inheritance or welfare - often magnifies the worst aspects of human nature.

Comment

He is just a very smart dumb ***

Comment

Working...
                                X