No announcement yet.

Lightweight rifle recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Built a 6.5grendel ar with a lightweight barrel and stock. Light to carry and a decent round to 300 yards.

Comment

Lightweight rifle recommendations

Originally posted by ltsheets View Post
      That cartridge (6.5saum 4s) is right at the top of what I'm considering. The switchlug is a different story. I'm tempted to do one with my current WTO rifle but I'm scared to mess with a rifle that already shoots so well!

Buddy of mine is a WTO fan (he lives nearby) and just got a 257wby with a SwitchLug and it shoots lights-out. Typical WTO accuracy. I wouldn't be afraid any more! Call Clayton and discuss it - I'll bet he could set your mind at ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Horitexan; 06-25-2017, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Sounds like you have your mind made up having a LW rifle made. There are quite a few off the shelf rifles out there in the 6 lb range.

When you want a sub 6lb rifle the price goes up accordingly. Titanium, carbon fiber stocks and carbon wrapped barrels will get you there.

Comment

Anyone have any experience with the lightweight rifles made by Rifles Inc.?

Comment

Lex has been building super nice , lightweight rifles for a long time.
            Prices are comparable to Jarrett, McWhorter, etc... $$$$

Comment

I picked up a Kimber Mountain Ascent last year in a 300WM and it is right at 6.5lbs. Non magnum calibers are about a pound lighter.

Comment

How's it shot for you? Accuracy is my main concern with Kimber.

Originally posted by NMStickFlinger3 View Post
                I picked up a Kimber Mountain Ascent last year in a 300WM and it is right at 6.5lbs. Non magnum calibers are about a pound lighter.

Comment

So I'm guessing you'd tell me if I found a deal on a used one, I should heavily consider it? My main concern on the one I found is it's a 300wby. That's a ton of cartridge for such a light rifle.

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                  Lex has been building super nice , lightweight rifles for a long time.
                  Prices are comparable to Jarrett, McWhorter, etc... $$$$

Comment

Originally posted by Maxxed Outdoors View Post
                    I bought the new tikka t3x in .308 last year and have been extremely happy with it. It's right at 6.5 bare.

I got a T3 hunter on close out last year for $498 from Euro Optic. I'm guessing they bough them up when the T3x was introduced. It weighs 6.6 pounds with a wood stock, without a scope. I shot a sub 1" group at 200 yards in 7nm Rem Mag. I put a Vortex 6.5-200 x44 on it.

Not a custom rifle by any measure but lightweight and accurate for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've only held one and it was super light. Wasn't a big fan of the pencil barrel though but nice rifles

I think you could come out way cheaper having APR upgrade their maverick to a 0 contour and McMillan Mountaineer stock and be very close in weight though if thats how light you wanna go. All depends on the deal you find on a used Rifles Inc gun though

Comment

I found a used Rifles Inc that is listed at 2500 right now. After talking to the guy, I'm thinking I could get it a little less. He's shot 2 mtn goats at 450 yds with it. 300wby but he claims recoil is similar to a 30-06 with the brake.

Comment

I found a used Rifles Inc that is listed at 2500 right now. After talking to the guy, I'm thinking I could get it a little less. He's shot 2 mtn goats at 450 yds with it. 300wby but he claims recoil is similar to a 30-06 with the brake.
                          For that price it probably can't be beat if you like the caliber. Would be good for bear country also

Comment

Check out the Savage 11/111 Lightweight Hunter, it's 5.5lbs for the short actions. And the 16/116 Lightweight Hunter is 6.0lbs for the short actions. The long actions added right at 1/2 lb to them.

Comment

Saw a Kimber adirondack in 7-08 for sale on 24hourcampfire - bedded and shot lights out. Check if out - 5.5 lbs I believe?

Comment

Good price "if" you want a 300 Wthby and need the rifle now for an upcoming hunt. The barrel is pencil thin to keep weight below 6 lbs. If you have patience shop around and contact gunsmiths about your desired build.

Comment

Working...
                                X