Hope for our Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post

They believe plumbing, welding and construction are beneath them.
    Where do you think they got that attitude?For the past few decades society as a whole has pushed the idea that you HAVE to go to college to succeed.That learning these trades were for drop outs and those that didn't want to go to college.The generations before them pushed this notion on them.

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by DJM View Post
      Where do you think they got that attitude?For the past few decades society as a whole has pushed the idea that you HAVE to go to college to succeed.That learning these trades were for drop outs and those that didn't want to go to college.The generations before them pushed this notion on them.

DJ
      Yup, trades make you more self sufficient. That goes against everything these people believe. The push towards college and abandoning trades was nothing more than a way to indoctrinate.

Comment

Originally posted by DJM View Post

DJ
        Facebook guy made a half trillion dollar company writing computer code in between playing video games and eating pizza sessions.

These kids are shooting for the moon

Comment

Back to the ruling,

This should also help with the Redskins trademark troubles. Not that I'm a fan of them
          The government cannot censor trademarks because some people find them offensive, the Supreme Court ruled Monday in a major decision that could clear the way for the Washington Redskins football team to maintain its trademarks.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
            Facebook guy made a half trillion dollar company writing computer code in between playing video games and eating pizza sessions.

These kids are shooting for the moon

Yup. There are a lot of similar stories like his too. Obviously not billions, but young (millennial generation) people doing great things and doing well for themselves in very creative ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WTJim View Post
              Hope for America will only be found again when we get back to "one nation under God". We have become lost and wandering in the wilderness and bound up over the little things, right where the devil and the rest of the world wants us. I too believe that the silent majority is still there quietly doing the right thing all the time behind the scenes never being uplifted as a positive model by the corrupted media. Do not be swayed by words and actions of fools, keep your eye on the prize, eternal life in heaven.
              Posts like this make me appreciate the wisdom America's founders demonstrated by leaving God out of the US Constitution.

Comment

Just imagine if eric holder gets elected. He thinking about throwing his hat in the ring now.

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
                  This may be the first time you and I disagree. At least, in part.

Most service members are a breed apart. However, they comprise roughly only 1% of the population. Even fewer than those are Millenials.

I look at it from an employer's perspective. I have two daughters smack dab in the middle of this Generation and at times, they are frustrating as most teens are. However, they will work most anyone into the ground and they don't say "like" and "so" every third word.

I have one position that requires a low skilled person to do a task which I can teach a monkey to do in four hours. It is not hard work but it has no oversight so, self motivation is a must. I offer $15/hour cash for a job that's worth $10/hr. The hours are "whenever you can come in". This position is taylor made for a high school kid who wants to earn top pay for an entry-level job.

It took me 2 1/2 years to find someone to fill that position and stay. I went through 21 people whom ranged in age from 16 to 41. Most didn't come back for day two. As a whole, this Generation is entitled. They believe plumbing, welding and construction are beneath them. When one of the last Millenial quitters quit me, he told me the job wasn't worth what I was paying. So, to humor myself, I asked him, "What do you believe the position should pay?" He thought for a few seconds and with a straight face said, "At least $30 an hour. Maybe $35."

Agreed, it isn't every kid in any one Generation. I'm a Gen X kid. I remember hearing people say the negative things about us but as an employer, I have found my Generation is by far the best still working. I don't see the overall work ethic or education in these kids. I just don't. Ask any Millenial to tell you about 9/11 and they will tell you it's the number you call for emergency services. Hopefully, they will find their way and we will be A-Okay but they have a looooong way to go as a whole.
                  You're making broad generalization based upon a very small sample set of the population you've dealt with. For every lazy millennial you can name, I can name a gen xer or baby boomer who's just as bad.

Comment

Demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years most common range i can find for millennials. So they're a lot more than people think.

But to generalized everyone so much is insulting. If you were to ask me about 9/11 id tell you i remember everything. I watched it live, not the edited video they showed on the evening news. I remember the people jumping from the top of the buliding. I remember the plane hitting. I remember the buildings falling. I remember the fear in peoples eyes as they ran away down the streets. I remember all of it.

I remember stepping off on my first patrol in Southern Afghanistan too.

And Even if the few of us that have fought the wars after 9/11 are less than 1% of the population then so be it. Only 9% fought in WW2 and 9.7% fought in Vietnam.

Sounds to me like we have a strong group of leaders going here.

There is hope for this country you just have to make it better starting with you. If everyone tries to improve themselves instead of trying to change someone else there's no telling what could happen.

Rant over

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                      Just imagine if eric holder gets elected. He thinking about throwing his hat in the ring now.
                      He's a worst candidate than Hillary. Let him run.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermin93 View Post
                        Posts like this make me appreciate the wisdom America's founders demonstrated by leaving God out of the US Constitution.

Explanation?

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
                          Demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years most common range i can find for millennials. So they're a lot more than people think.

But to generalized everyone so much is insulting. If you were to ask me about 9/11 id tell you i remember everything. I watched it live, not the edited video they showed on the evening news. I remember the people jumping from the top of the buliding. I remember the plane hitting. I remember the buildings falling. I remember the fear in peoples eyes as they ran away down the streets. I remember all of it.

I remember stepping off on my first patrol in Southern Afghanistan too.

And Even if the few of us that have fought the wars after 9/11 are less than 1% of the population then so be it. Only 9% fought in WW2 and 9.7% fought in Vietnam.

Sounds to me like we have a strong group of leaders going here.

There is hope for this country you just have to make it better starting with you. If everyone tries to improve themselves instead of trying to change someone else there's no telling what could happen.

Rant over
                          This is addressing Sir Shovelhands and Tward1604:

That is a very wide-ranging definition of the Millenial Generation. I see a lot of overlap there. Now, In a discussion of an entire Generation, how do you propose we exchange ideas other than to speak in generalizations?? We cannot name every person in the Generation. That is absurd. It wasn't a broad generalization and y'all may need to study my post again. I never said we were doomed and I was providing personal experiences which cannot be denied. I said, as a whole, they have a long way to go. All of my children fall within this generation. Their friends, other family members, etc. I live and work around them daily, I interact and I am far from ignorant. I can read a sign post, gentlemen and I am also able to engage with others that have similar dealings such as teachers and employers. Their gripes are very similar. If I were the offendable type, I could take offense to some of the mischaracterizations leveled at me. I'm not so, we trod along. To be thorough, let me define the age group of which I speak. I'm referring to teens up to about 25 years of age. Of course, there are exceptions to everything. I have a kid working for me now that I wish I could clone though, it doesn't happen very often.

I don't necessarily put the blame on the kids of the Generation itself. The education system has narrowed their scope and my kids included, are not exposed to/taught the same things in school as generations before. The reason I brought up 9/11 is, my kids, who are both in college now, were never taught anything about 9/11. Nothing. Not in any history class or open discussion. It was considered tabu. They were four years old when it happened and if it were not for us as parents, they wouldn't even know it happened. Much more education has been omitted and it allows a different formation of thought. Government and finance has also been omitted from curriculums, even for Honors/AP kids like mine. They were never taught anything of the sort. We grew tired of this and enrolled the younger ones in the "best" private school in the area. Same thing. Absolutely no difference in scope.

Lastly, I will blame us as parents. We have done such an amazing job providing our kids a fabulous life, they want for nothing. It is a widespread attitude whether every kid subscribes to it or not (and, not all do). As parents, we have done everything we can to wash that mentality out of our kids' collective minds but it still creeps in because of who they are around. For instance, our kids have always had to work for their money. Not one dollar has ever been doled out. However, when one daughter was about to turn 16, she firmly believed (despite our denials) that she was getting a BRAND NEW car on her birthday because that's what happens where she went to school. Context: my wife and I drive '05 and '09 vehicles with over 200K miles on each. On the morning of her birthday, she had that giddy, girly squeal as she charged downstairs in her PJs and unlocked the front door and ran outside to see her new car. Of course, it wasn't there. Somewhat shaken, she turned to me and said, "Did y'all hide it around the corner??" There was no car but because everyone else she knew got new cars, the expectation was there. I thought that mentality would never leave her brain.

Although, she is a top-level college athlete with all the coddling and amenities that go with that, it took the struggles of college and being away from home to rectify those insidious thoughts. She has made a dramatic turnaround. I believe this Generation needs time and experience to "find the light". In this Country, we always seem to pull through somehow. I hold out hope that life experience and necessity will enlighten those that need it.

Comment

^^^ Fair enough! I appreciate you taking to time to explain your post i really do. i will agree that the time frame used for millennials is very large. Also that is completely insane that they weren't taught about 9/11 in school! i had no idea that wasn't happening.

My dad always says "You see more when you get older"

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
                              ^^^ Fair enough! I appreciate you taking to time to explain your post i really do. i will agree that the time frame used for millennials is very large. Also that is completely insane that they weren't taught about 9/11 in school! i had no idea that wasn't happening.

My dad always says "You see more when you get older"
                              Thanks, man. Good discussion here. Your Dad is correct and wise. I would assume you are older than my kids having been to Afghanistan. Thanks BTW. You are probably closer to my age than theirs. The generational gap may be better defined by pre-9/11 and post-9/11 mind sets. I'm thinking as I write and I may need to give that more consideration but I firmly believe the definition provided by demographers is too vast. Take care and continue to join the discussions. We have fun over here!

Comment

Working...
                              X