NSA Leaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
    Im starting to change my position in this. Watching more of the reporting on this, she is just a brainwashed girl prone to making stupid decisions. She still should pay the piper but the more guilty party here are the msm pressers that turned her and made bank off her leaks. Now she will rot in prison while they hide behind their sick interpretation of the 1st amendment and count all the money they made off her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed.

Make it a crime for the media to run with news reports that was based on top secret leaks. I'd also like to see a law that if you base your report on an anonymous source and it was later found the anonymous source was a fictional figure.

Comment

I believe she should get a suspended sentence.......at the end of a rope!

Comment

I saw her mom and dad interviewed on msnbc. .......she's the victim according to her parents.

Comment

She was probably "bullied" !

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
            She was probably "bullied" !

Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
              Agreed.

Make it a crime for the media to run with news reports that was based on top secret leaks. I'd also like to see a law that if you base your report on an anonymous source and it was later found the anonymous source was a fictional figure.
              Disagree with the first point, partially agree with the second point.

The slippery slope you face in criminalizing leak publication is that any manner of corruption or illegal behavior could be kept out of public knowledge under the guise of national security. I'll concede that the modern media machine doesn't currently function like the important check and balance that's its supposed to in this country, but that doesn't mean there aren't good honest journalists out there. I'd contend that leaks often lead to more net good than harm. They allow the public to examine areas of our government that we may not all be comfortable with, and they allow the government to re-examine its processes for safe guarding classified information.

On the second point, this is basically the whole 'fake news' narrative. Unethical journalists type anything and everything under the protection of "anonymous sources" without ever having to actually verify the information - assuming it wasn't completely fabricated to begin with. I think that's an ethics questions in journalism. If you force every journalist to out their sources, there would never be any sources to report on - and public understanding of an issue would be diluted or outright blacked out. It's a harder problem to solve, but a media that conducts itself in an ethical manner and an informed public that can discern misleading stories from genuine ones would be a good start.

Comment

First time I saw "Reality Winner" I thought it was a pseudonym like Deep Throat.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                  First time I saw "Reality Winner" I thought it was a pseudonym like Deep Throat.
                  More like Reality Loser amirite? I'll show myself the door.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Hill View Post

The slippery slope you face in criminalizing leak publication is that any manner of corruption or illegal behavior could be kept out of public knowledge under the guise of national security. I'll concede that the modern media machine doesn't currently function like the important check and balance that's its supposed to in this country, but that doesn't mean there aren't good honest journalists out there. I'd contend that leaks often lead to more net good than harm. They allow the public to examine areas of our government that we may not all be comfortable with, and they allow the government to re-examine its processes for safe guarding classified information.

On the second point, this is basically the whole 'fake news' narrative. Unethical journalists type anything and everything under the protection of "anonymous sources" without ever having to actually verify the information - assuming it wasn't completely fabricated to begin with. I think that's an ethics questions in journalism. If you force every journalist to out their sources, there would never be any sources to report on - and public understanding of an issue would be diluted or outright blacked out. It's a harder problem to solve, but a media that conducts itself in an ethical manner and an informed public that can discern misleading stories from genuine ones would be a good start.
                    Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Hill View Post

Valid points

Comment

On that point something I would love to see in my lifetime would be serious prosecution of anti-trust laws as it pertains to American media - I think its something like 6 corporations own almost all major media outlets in the United States. I know the MSM isn't the same type of SouthwesternBell-esque monopoly, but in the spirit of public interest I think breaking up conglomerated media would do wonders for discourse in this country. It would likely be an impossible task, but it's a fantasy that I'd like to hold out hope for nonetheless.

Comment

This dumb girl is digging a hole so freaking deep for herself. I guess she thinks the phone at the prison is not monitored.

The plan, which Winner reportedly discussed with her sister from the Georgia detention center where she resides, is somewhat hypocritical since she has said on social media that “being white is terrorism.” (RELATED: NSA Leaker: ‘Being White Is Terrorism’)

“I’m going to play that card being pretty, white and cute, braid my hair and cry and all,” Winner told her sister during a phone call from the jailhouse, Assistant U.S. Attorney Jennifer Solari said in a court hearing in Atlanta on Thursday.

They also caught her telling her family to move 30K out of her account to her moms so she could get a free court appointed attorney.

Comment

I keep hearing how smart this girl is supposed to be. I just don't see it I guess.

Comment

Criminalizing free press IS a slippery slope. However, if people like her were made to be examples, this crap would happen less and less. By example, try her and if found guilty [of treason], carry out the sentence exactly one year after conviction. The sentence?? That would be standing her against a wall before a firing squad. Let that happen 5 or 10 times and see how loose with the lips people with security clearances are then. I bet not very.

Comment

I know what would have happened to me if I had compromised classified info, or if one of my subordinates had done so . . . I sure wouldn't have gotten promoted to colonel and served until retirement And, I know what I would do if this one was in uniform and mine---it's called a General Courts Martial.

Comment

Working...
                                X