No announcement yet.

Proposed Budget Concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel for the average farmer. It's a labor intensive career choice w/long hours & a ton of years. We do need to find a happy medium somewhere but I haven't a clue where we'd draw that line. Tough deal for all involved from both sides.

Comment

I think it depends where the 36 percent cuts proposed are allocated. I have read articles where the majority of the benefits are going to a small number of large operators which isn't what the program was designed for. Its hard to take an insurance companies word as unbiased when the subject is taking directly from their profits. Of course Farmers Insurance Co thinks its a bad idea, not to say it isn't. If we are just subsidizing the cost of insurance on large operators who can afford insurance without the subsidies than that's not a good way to do business. Being that its out money (govt through taxes) you can better believe there are lobbyists involved to make sure the money keeps flowing.

"Crop insurance run by the USDA's Risk Management Agency has become the largest farm program with annual outlays of about $8 billion.6 Subsidized insurance protects against various business risks, such as adverse weather, low production, and low revenues. It covers more than 100 crops, but corn, cotton, soybeans, and wheat are the main ones. It subsidizes both insurance premiums and the administrative costs of the 19 private insurance companies that offer policies to farmers.

The companies receive the subsidies, and they earn excess profits from the high premiums they charge. Farmers also benefit because the USDA pays about 60 percent of the premium costs, according to the Government Accountability Office.7 Indeed, economist Bruce Babcock finds that most farmers make money on insurance over time, receiving more in claims than they pay in premiums.8

Congress channels the largest portion of farm subsidies through the insurance program in order to obscure the identities of the wealthy recipients. Under prior farm programs, news stories often identified the millionaires receiving farm subsidies, which was embarrassing to Congress. Insurance subsidies are less transparent and they have no income limits, and so Congress has expanded the program over the years."

Last edited by Ætheling; 05-31-2017, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by overcomer401965 View Post
        Yep, I for one wouldnt mind seein a $6 loaf of bread. Hail season can do number on wheat crops and not all farmers are crooks.
        Five or six years ago Neb. famers lost 85% of the corn crop due to the drought, they still had to harvest the dead crops to file a claim. They were also audited for all records pertaining to this harvest

Comment

Originally posted by stykshooter View Post
          Five or six years ago Neb. famers lost 85% of the corn crop due to the drought, they still had to harvest the dead crops to file a claim. They were also audited for all records pertaining to this harvest
          Corn in Nebraska is what my moms side of the family does. They live in humble homes w/millions upon millions of dollars in equipment. Sun up to sun down for most of the days out of the year doing corn plus 100's of thousands of head of cattle. @ one point in time (unsure about it now) her uncle had the largest head of cattle in the entire state. I'm guessing it helps offset the losses from the corn.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
            Corn in Nebraska is what my moms side of the family does. They live in humble homes w/millions upon millions of dollars in equipment. Sun up to sun down for most of the days out of the year doing corn plus 100's of thousands of head of cattle. @ one point in time (unsure about it now) her uncle had the largest head of cattle in the entire state. I'm guessing it helps offset the losses from the corn.
            It's not a job for the lazy with equipment being crazy expensive ..... as my son states he works half day ... 7am to 7pm 7 days a week. He's been in Neb. since 2000 & worked farms when he was kid. He started farming when he finished college 2012, he owns a few cattle too

Comment

Enough talk about government Ag subsidies, let's talk about pheasant hunting family land in Nebraska.

You start, ill wait for the invite

Comment

Originally posted by overcomer401965 View Post
                Yep, I for one wouldnt mind seein a $6 loaf of bread. Hail season can do number on wheat crops and not all farmers are crooks.
                Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                Hush nah!!![emoji33]
                Hum. ......that type of 3rd world pain may be what we need to really appreciate how good we have it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
                But then stupid..uh..I mean poor people, would eat bad because they would be forced to eat cheap.

Or they would raise food stamps from 200-500 per month to 1,000-2,000 per month.

But yes we should suffer some and get rid of all welfare IMO.

Comment

So why grow corn if it loses money?

Comment

My son & other farmers around him always leave a little extra for the birds, fun to chase them with our stick bows
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      So why grow corn if it loses money?
                      Couldn't tell ya'!

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                        But then stupid..uh..I mean poor people, would eat bad because they would be forced to eat cheap.

Or they would raise food stamps from 200-500 per month to 1,000-2,000 per month.

But yes we should suffer some and get rid of all welfare IMO.
                        Especially the foreign aid to Israel welfare and all of the military welfare, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                          Especially the foreign aid to Israel welfare and all of the military welfare, right?
                          There is no welfare to Israel but there has been plenty to the Palestinians....and they hate us. Money to Israel is well spent money.
                          But ill agree there is plenty of welfare in the military budget.

Comment

Working...
                          X