Smokie was too smart for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokie was too smart for me

I started calling this boar Smokie because I'd think I had him pegged based on what the gamecam was showing, and poof - he'd disappear like smoke when I showed up at the times he otherwise was coming to the feeder. My hunting buddy told me he thought Smokie had hacked into my smartphone because he seemed to know my every move.

One night he showed up twice, but never got to the feeder pit. First time, he stopped exactly at the spot where his trail and mine into the stand intersected. Now, I was wearing clothing which had been washed with Scent-free detergent, I'd showered with Scent-Away, and sprayed my boots with same. He just sniffed the air, looked around, and trotted back into the woods. An hour later he came in from the opposite direction, but stopped cold 10 yds from the feeder, and did another U-turn.

Ok, so he's got my number as a bowhunter. But a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do. And in this case it was to bring out the mag 257 rifle with green scope light attached, and sit 100 yds away from the feeder. The gotcha moment occurred at 4:50 am Tuesday morning after he'd appeared on the gamecam at the feeder for several hours running. Guess it paid to have hand-thrown another 10 lbs of corn the previous afternoon.

Can you tell which one is AJ?
    Attached Files

I'm headed out for a sit tonight with the .22-250. Would rather take the bow but winds are incorrect.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Haha congrats!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats!

Sort of looks like you found your long lost twin brother.

Comment

Congrats good story

Comment

Congrats!

I think his brothers are visiting my feeder

Comment

I have just about quit sitting on corn. We have better luck pouring out little piles ( in strategic places ) a couple times a week and then easing around my place on the golf cart. We usually put the piles where we can access from a couple directions so we can keep the wind in our favor. You can slip up on one in the dark much closer than you think if you will be quiet. We had two in front of us in different spots last weekend. One died and a coyote ran the other one off just as we were into the 3-2-1 thing. The yote didn't live long enough to regret that.

Comment

That's awesome! Congrats

Comment

I hate when there smarter then me, which seems like most the time. Glad you got him

Comment

Smokie weighed in at 210 after field dressing him. The bullet entered and exited his heart, and stopped in the opposite shoulder. He ran (or stumbled) about seven yards from where I shot him.

I have two deer plus a lot of store-bought pork butt in the freezer, so next week is sausage and chili making week (and I do mean all week as doing 60 qts of chili and roughly 70 lbs. of sausage is serious work, incl. packaging and clean-up).

Comment

Your patience paid off!! Nice work.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X