No announcement yet.

The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought these for a sheep hunt last year but never used them. Did not fit.
    I would sell them for a 125 if anyone interested.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
      What are you guys using for a water system? I have a sawyer squeeze that I am going to modify to run in line on a big hanging bladder for camp.

Then I also just ordered a sterapPEN. I went with the classic that takes AA batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I’m using the sawyer squeeze. I have the filter screwed to a spare 2 liter bag. I have a quick connect on my hose for my bladder in my pack that I can hook filter up to. I never have to remove my bladder out of my pack to refill. Sawyer squeeze and spare bag roll up pretty compact.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
        I bought these for a sheep hunt last year but never used them. Did not fit.
        I would sell them for a 125 if anyone interested.
        Great deal! Those are some high dollar boots. Wish they would fit me.

Comment

Msr dromedary for dirty bag with inline big Sawyer to clean bag

Comment

I’ve been using the platypus 4L gravity feed filter with no problems, depending on how fresh the filter is it will do the whole bag in about 3-5 min. If temps drop I just boil a liter at a time on my MSR whisperlite.

Comment

I'm going solo archery elk in a draw unit in Colorado. Have a pretty tight budget. Have things I have accumulated over the yrs from previous hunts. Gathering things up and report back. I like all the info that this thread has given.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

I know this is not normal but I still want to be able to hunt off the beaten trail. My medical supplier is not on the ball or maybe they are giving me the run around about my portable oxygen concentrator script. I really need 3 liters of o2 while hiking. These things are expensive but I really need one.
                This is my most pressing need at the moment.

Every morning when I take my walks I want to go but my o2 sat falls of and it feels like I’m walking in molasses with my chest wrapped in a tightening grip.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Your AT excursion was awesome and provided a lot of insight regarding gear that translates (or doesn't) to backcountry hunting.

I bought the Jetboil MicroMo at REI (in Dillon CO) during their Memorial Weekend sale. It was somewhat of an impulse purchase because it was priced right.

I had a small, light, very cheap burner and pot, but the JB burns MUCH more efficiently than that setup, even in wind. I think it's 12 oz (including the plastic cup and fuel stand) and is all self contained, including small fuel canister. I'm amazed at how quickly and efficiently it will boil water. A single small fuel canister should last around 10 days cooking breakfast/coffee and evening dinners each day, which can quickly make up for any weight advantages of other burners that may not burn as efficiently and require extra fuel.

Thank you. It’s funny because prior to the hike I knew little about the relevance of light weight traveling and, as a lifetime hunter, had to readjust that “over prepared” sentiment we seem to all have. Thank fully I adjusted before the hike.

The Jet Boil is great. I was surprised there were not tons of them on AT (I expected more). It was amazing how fast and efficient they are in boiling water. I went with my settup because of weight, but it did take longer to boil water. There is no wrong answer except if you find yourself packing in an iron skillet.

A week long hunting trip can be easily done with dehydrated meals (like Mountain House) and all one needs to do is boil water. Cheap Knorr’s pasta sides can be added to a Mountain House meal for additional bulk.

Comment

It has been to many years and too many innovations to backcountry gear for me to comment on back packing gear. Mine would be considered outdated since the last time I did a backpack hunt and even a horseback hunt into the wilderness areas.

Comment

The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Ok I'll play, im a Kifaru fan as well. Heading to Montana for Elk and antelope sept. 2nd, back to Montana for Mountain Lion in December, then to Arizona for a late season general deer hunt in Jan. Working on moving to Colorado in Feb or March.

Pack: Kifaru EMR II
                      Shelter: Kifaru supertarp
                      Pad: Thermarest NeoAir X therm
                      Bag: Marmot 20*
                      Boots: Kenetrek Mountain Extremes
                      Calls: Phelps bugle tube, amp diaphragms
                      Stove: MSR reactor
                      Filtration system: katadyn hiker pro/ steri pen/ iodine tabs and neutralizing tabs
                      Socks: Darn tough
                      Clothes: first light merino wool base layers/ Sitka everything else

Lots of other odds and ends, I've messed around and switched out filtration systems and food systems over the last 6 years. Got a few hunts lined up this year and early next year, only think I need is a new pad because a mouse or chipmunk chewed through mine one morning.

Last edited by jaker_cc; 07-17-2018, 03:39 PM.

Comment

This thread is going to end up costing me so much money!

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                          Thank you. It’s funny because prior to the hike I knew little about the relevance of light weight traveling and, as a lifetime hunter, had to readjust that “over prepared” sentiment we seem to all have. Thank fully I adjusted before the hike.

The Jet Boil is great. I was surprised there were not tons of them on AT (I expected more). It was amazing how fast and efficient they are in boiling water. I went with my settup because of weight, but it did take longer to boil water. There is no wrong answer except if you find yourself packing in an iron skillet.

A week long hunting trip can be easily done with dehydrated meals (like Mountain House) and all one needs to do is boil water. Cheap Knorr’s pasta sides can be added to a Mountain House meal for additional bulk.
                          The trend in the thru/section hiker world (at least on YouTube) seems to be running "cookless." I feel like a hot meal at the end of the day (and warm coffee at the beginning!) is as much a morale boost as anything.

It's overkill for a week-long hunt, but I just finished dehydrating ingredients to make my own meals for my trip. But (at least for my first trip) the planning and preparation is part of the "experience" for me!
                          Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                          Ok I'll play, im a Kifaru fan as well. Heading to Montana for Elk and antelope sept. 2nd, back to Montana for Mountain Lion in December, then to Arizona for a late season general deer hunt in Jan. Working on moving to Colorado in Feb or March.

Pack: Kifaru EMR II
                          Shelter: Kifaru supertarp
                          Pad: Thermarest NeoAir X therm
                          Bag: Marmot 20*
                          Boots: Kenetrek Mountain Extremes
                          Calls: Phelps bugle tube, amp diaphragms
                          Stove: MSR reactor
                          Filtration system: katadyn hiker pro/ steri pen/ iodine tabs and neutralizing tabs
                          Socks: Darn tough
                          Clothes: first light merino wool base layers/ Sitka everything else

Lots of other odds and ends, I've messed around and switched out filtration systems and food systems over the last 6 years. Got a few hunts lined up this year and early next year, only think I need is a new pad because a mouse or chipmunk chewed through mine one morning.

I came really close to buying the Super Tarp (and later the Aegis) before I decided to prioritize my limited budget elsewhere!
                          My Flickr Photos

Comment

I'm getting ready to do a video for my "Backcountry Gear Preview" series on YouTube on clothes, but here's a summary:

Worn
                            Salomon GTX 4D Boots
                            Darn Tough Socks (w/REI liner?)
                            Ex Officio Give-n-Go boxer briefs
                            First Lite Minaret LS Crew (probably hike in first day with a lightweight merino or synthetic ss tee)
                            First Lite Corrugate Guide Pants

Packed
                            First Lite Kiln Hoodie
                            First Lite Cirrus Puffy
                            Columbia Lightweight rain jacket
                            Kuiu Yukon Gaiters
                            Extra pair of underwear (whichever aren't worn)
                            Extra pair of Darn Tough Socks
                            Predator beanie
                            Predator gloves
                            TBH blackout Buff

Optional:
                            Kuiu Peloton 145 zip off bottoms (haven't decided if I'm going to take base bottoms)
                            First Lite Sawtooth Jacket (unlikely)

I got a really sweet deal on most of the FL gear (Corrugates, Minaret and Sawtooth) at the F&S Store Tent Sale. I also picked up a Chama Hoodie in XL that FL graciously exchanged for the Kiln in my size at no additional charge. I think I like the Chama better for early season (the Kiln is noticeably heavier blend) but the Kiln fits better. I did purchase the Cirrus at retail from FL's website, and I think it will work well for my trip.
                            My Flickr Photos

Comment

I couldn’t get away going cookless for just that reason ... end and beginnings of the day morale boost etc. maybe in the hottest part of the summer that might have been OK but even then there’s a fine line between camping/hiking versus running around the woods slowly and miserably starving. Keep in mind some ultra lightweight hikers take it too far I mean there were people hiking through the mountains with nothing but what was on their backs (Shorts and shirt). I’m all about going lite but I’m not all about going unprepared.

Comment

I'm on a keto lifestyle so I plan to pack pecans, jerky and a few bags of tuna and salmon. I'd really like to avoid a bunch of individually packaged items. I'll buy 2 boxes of Atkins Harvest trail dark chocolate and sea salt nut bars, unwrap and put them all in one big ziplock. Also ordering some keto instant coffee from amazon and plan to spike all my drinking water with an electrolyte powder mix.

Comment

Working...
                                X