Kayak suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kayak suggestions

So I'm looking at getting into a kayak. Had boats all my life but not in the cards and want to get back into fishing more. Mainly lake and river. I'm a big guy is one issue 6'3 300. Goal would be to help lose some lbs and fish. What kayaks would y'all suggest? I was looking at the ascend 128t or maybe a wilderness systems 135. Thoughts?

Scott

Go to Autin Kayak days, and paddle many different ones. I went in thinking WS 115, but bought a Diablo Amigo.

I'm 6', 220#
    Last edited by BrianL; 03-02-2018, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Check out Vibe for a good yaks under $1000

Comment

Comment

I live in the DFW area sorry

Comment

I have two Kaku Wahoo 12.5 yaks. The seat is super comfortable. (Do not buy a yak without an elevated seat. There's nothing worse than sitting on the hard floor in a puddle of water all day.) The Wahoo is very stable. It is fast and tracks great. No rudder needed. Great yak for just paddling in rivers and lakes, and it rocks for fishing. I bought them both from ACK and had them delivered. Easy.

Comment

I live in Paris and went(100 miles NE of you). I assure you it is time well spent. It is the closest place to go paddle 15 or 20 different kayaks at the same time, and all price points, different paddles, different vest. It is well worth your time to go.

Comment

#1 ... establish your budget

#2 ... go test drive all kayaks within your budget

#3 ... do research and don't be afraid to buy a used, in good condition kayak. Chances are someone is getting out of the sport and will have a package deal for sale

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
                  So I'm looking at getting into a kayak. Had boats all my life but not in the cards and want to get back into fishing more. Mainly lake and river. I'm a big guy is one issue 6'3 300. Goal would be to help lose some lbs and fish. What kayaks would y'all suggest? I was looking at the ascend 128t or maybe a wilderness systems 135. Thoughts?

Scott
                  Scott, I'm at 279 and have the 12T from 2016. It is a stable kayak and gets me on the water to fish. I've used it in a few small lakes and at the coast. It is slowwww and I wished it tracked better. May add a rudder to fix that.

Over all its a good kayak, but I wish I would have gone to a demo day to try a few others.

Look at the kayak retailers in Dallas area and see who has a demo day. Or, make a plan to visit Austin.

Here is one I'd like to go try:

Venture farther in the Vibe Sea Ghost 130 angler kayak. From unmatched hull stability, and superior tracking, the Sea Ghost 130 angler kayak can handle waters from rivers to surf. Along with rigging and storage options that anglers demand, the Sea Ghost 130 includes a rudder, that saves energy on long paddles, windy days or in strong currents.

Its not that much more than the Ascend.

Just up the road from you is a Vibe dealer:

Anglers Pro Tackle LLC
                  6238 Rufe Snow Dr
                  # 124
                  N. Richland Hills , TX 76148
                  P: 817-503-2333
                  F: 817-503-2344
                  sales@anglersprotackle.co
                  Last edited by hopedale; 03-02-2018, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
                    I live in the DFW area sorry
                    Mountain Sports in Arlington, as well as REI are metro options. DFW is a broad area, there is some retail outlet that does paddle demos at White Rock Lake if you are on that side of the world.
                    Definitely look at used for saving coin.
                    I bought the Jackson Big Tuna, from OKC Kayak. They had some great savings on factory 2nds. The freight company damaged it during delivery ($65 flat for delivery, I couldn't drive there and back for that) and the team at OKC personally delivered a factory new, replacement before noon the next day! I can't say enough about the customer service from the group at OKC Kayak.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                      Scott, I'm at 279 and have the 12T from 2016. It is a stable kayak and gets me on the water to fish. I've used it in a few small lakes and at the coast. It is slowwww and I wished it tracked better. May add a rudder to fix that.

Over all its a good kayak, but I wish I would have gone to a demo day to try a few others.

Look at the kayak retailers in Dallas area and see who has a demo day. Or, make a plan to visit Austin.

Here is one I'd like to go try:

Venture farther in the Vibe Sea Ghost 130 angler kayak. From unmatched hull stability, and superior tracking, the Sea Ghost 130 angler kayak can handle waters from rivers to surf. Along with rigging and storage options that anglers demand, the Sea Ghost 130 includes a rudder, that saves energy on long paddles, windy days or in strong currents.

Its not that much more than the Ascend.

I've got 2 of the Vibes you mentioned and they are good yaks.

Comment

Def demo to make sure you like it. Austin Kayaks demo day will have alot of different options. Def try to get one with the elevated type lawn chair seat if possible. It will make your day much more comfortable. I will say this if you ever fish out of a pedal drive yak you will appreciate/want that convenience. I have a Hobie Outback and use it more than my Xpress boat. My Jackson Coosa sits under the carport and only gets used for a buddy or if I'm fishing a river/creek that just is too shallow for a pedal drive.

Comment

Just saw you were in DFW area. Go see Kayak Instruct in Rowlett. He is a big Jacskon Dealer and he will let you demo any yak you want to give you some ideas. North Texas Kayak in Granbury will let you demo Hobies. Rick is a great guy to deal with. Got a real good deal on a demo 15 Outback.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                            Check out Vibe for a good yaks under $1000
                            X2, 2 of my buddies and myself own vibe sea ghost 130's, we love them.

Comment

The Ultimate Portable Round Boat. The Ultraskiff 360 is the first, original and only patented design of a round Watercraft for fishing, hunting and pleasure boating.

for something a little different

These look Bad**!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=ZqY1Im9TvNY
                              Last edited by HunterU; 03-02-2018, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X