Changing center shot on your bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
    I'd love to hear your take on things Rick! Someone mentioned changing strings, but I don't know anything about that. A few searches on here shows you to be a bit of an expert in such matters, so I'd welcome your thoughts. For that matter, anyone who shoots as well as you has my full and undivided attention.

Today I raised my brace height another 1/8" or so and got my bareshafts flying just a couple inches nock right at 20 yards with the 250 grain points. I had to put a lot of twists in the string to raise it that much, is that normal?

In summary I have:
    - raised brace height by a bit over 1/4"
    - added 50 grains of point weight
    - removed some moleskin from the string grooves

The result:
    - a bareshaft that still flies a bit stiff at 20 yards, but dramatically improved over previous attempts
    - a bow that is just as quiet as before, seems a taller brace height had multiple positive impacts.
    I did go look at the Tolke SS. I don't think there is enough meat in that handle to be able to remove enough strike plate to do you any good. I would send it to Dan, and have him do it if he thinks it is possible.

The bow is 64" overall length?
    If so, you can go to near 9" of brace height just fine.
    Mine is set at 8.75". Different handle in mine, but the static limbs are very similar. On top of maybe getting the arrows to spine out right for you there, you just might find the higher brace height to be a bit more forgiving, and a whole lot quieter.

A different string can definitely help. Lots of materials out there, that blow D97 away in performance, and for sure if you are having to twist it up that much. Get a reputable string builder to fix you up with a new properly fitting string, and you will definitely gain some performance, and weaken the arrow dynamic spine some (or a lot).

If you try to go with different arrow shafts, with as long of a draw as you have you will likely still have to stay with at least a .300 spine range to get a shaft that will work for you, and give you the finished weight you want. Don't think a .340 will get you there. I know they won't for me, and I only have a 29.5" draw.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
      ... I don't think there is enough meat in that handle to be able to remove enough strike plate to do you any good. I would send it to Dan, and have him do it if he thinks it is possible.
      Yep, we decided that is a no go. I'm going to have to do this without making sawdust.

The bow is 64" overall length?
      If so, you can go to near 9" of brace height just fine.
      Mine is set at 8.75".... you just might find the higher brace height to be a bit more forgiving, and a whole lot quieter.
      I'm pretty sure I'm right around 8" after my session today, so I'll try going higher. I definitely like how quiet the bow is now... and I thought it was quiet before!

Lots of materials out there, that blow D97 away in performance, and for sure if you are having to twist it up that much. Get a reputable string builder to fix you up with a new properly fitting string...
      Do you have any recommendations for a maker, strand count, and/or material? I've always just shot the strings from the Toelke shop, and I'm absolutely clueless here. I don't even know how to measure the appropriate string length to order one.

If you try to go with different arrow shafts, with as long of a draw as you have you will likely still have to stay with at least a .300 spine range to get a shaft that will work for you, and give you the finished weight you want. Don't think a .340 will get you there. I know they won't for me, and I only have a 29.5" draw.

Rick
      I agree with that, and I don't know of any carbons that are long enough while still flirting with .300 spine, so I really need to make these Axis shafts work for me. Thank you so much for your feedback! I think with your help I should be able to squeeze the horsepower out of this setup to keep my arrows about 750 grains or so.

Comment

I would really NOT recommend that you modify the bow. You might turn a good bow worth some money into firewood. Much easier to work arrows or sideplates. Form or release issues can give you false spine readings as well. Don't ask how I know.

Comment

I've never seen a recurve (64" or longer) behave & perform well with a brace height below 8.5" unless it was a fairly straight handle, or reflex handle design/profile.

Yours is neither. It is actually a fairly deflex design/profile.

I'd bet dollars to a hole in a doughnut, that your bow would perform better all around with a brace height of 8.5" or more.

Rick

Comment

I know you might be a little frustrated with your situation and I'm sure it is annoying trying to find arrows long enough..... BUT just know that a lot of us shorter draw guys are DYING with envy!!!

I draw 27.5 and would kill to have the performance you get out of your set up!

Even at 700+ grains you are smoking my setup in speed and KE.

I've had good luck with strings made by Michael Harbison and really like the Fury string material. I believe Rampage is the replacement for the fury and I love it also. (I will PM you his info)

Pretty sure Rick makes strings as well.

Comment

Take your time Trumpkin. The squirrels are only getting fatter.

Comment

I've never seen a recurve (64" or longer) behave & perform well with a brace height below 8.5" unless it was a fairly straight handle, or reflex handle design/profile.

Yours is neither. It is actually a fairly deflex design/profile.

I'd bet dollars to a hole in a doughnut, that your bow would perform better all around with a brace height of 8.5" or more.

Rick
                I checked my brace height after my last shooting session. It was at 8.25". I'll bump it up tonight.

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                I know you might be a little frustrated with your situation and I'm sure it is annoying trying to find arrows long enough..... BUT just know that a lot of us shorter draw guys are DYING with envy!!!

I draw 27.5 and would kill to have the performance you get out of your set up!

Even at 700+ grains you are smoking my setup in speed and KE.

I've had good luck with strings made by Michael Harbison and really like the Fury string material. I believe Rampage is the replacement for the fury and I love it also. (I will PM you his info)

Pretty sure Rick makes strings as well.
                Thank you for the recommendation! And the encouragement! I am a huge fan of my draw length, and these issues are really just a great learning experience for me.

I checked Rick's website, pretty sure he no longer makes strings. I have a fresh 10 strand from Dan Toelke that isn't stretched out like my old one, so I'll see what happens with that string first at an 8.5-8.75" brace height. Then I'll think about finding a different string if needed.

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                Take your time Trumpkin. The squirrels are only getting fatter.
                Byron, I am really looking forward to getting business sorted so I can make it up your way!

Comment

Well I ran the gamut of brace height up to 9". I was not able to fully straighten the arrow out, and the best brace is between 8.5 and 8.75 for me. I said Toelke uses D97 but now I'm not sure. I went and checked their web site. It says fast flight, and that's it.

Since I don't know what material they are using for sure, I don't know if it's worth pursuing a different string. I guess I'll try adding more point weight next.

Comment

Update: heard back from the Toelke's it's actually a Rhino string... my bad for misleading you guys. Looks like some 300 grain points are in my future.

Comment

Update: heard back from the Toelke's it's actually a Rhino string... my bad for misleading you guys. Looks like some 300 grain points are in my future.
                      Your arrows won't have any problems with penetration with 300 grains upfront!

Comment

In the 100% HMPE class of materials, you'll find none better than Rhino.

It's what I use. I'd be using something else if I could find something better. Can't

You can get some blended materials, that will have a little less creep, but they won't out perform, and the creep is something the string builder can/should deal with from the getgo.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                        X