No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would not reccomend the NM late season archery tags. It is a very rough hunt and if it is your first elk hunt it could even turn you off from elk hunting.

If you cannot get off of school earlier I would consider starting out with a landowner rifle cow tag. Maybe during the thanksgiving break. At least you would be able to get your feet wet with elk hunting.

Comment

Elk are where you find them. A few years back we I got up to make coffee and thought I heard something in the drainage behind camp. Two different bulls were in the drainage right behind our camp and close to a road. That afternoon as I was calling a bull in for sil a couple of hunters came in on the bull from upwind!!!! Sometimes elk will suprise you where they dediced to hold up. The hunters could hear the bulls from the road.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
        Yes you can bow hunt in NOV but you'll be doing it with a any weapon(rifle) tag, other rifle hunters and in the snow...maybe lots of it. Now, I'm sure this can be done but I've never heard of anyone doing it in CO. I understand your delima...my wife is a teacher.

I know there are archery hunts in New Mexico in Dec but you've got to realize that archery hunting Elk out of the rut takes an already difficult task to an enormous task.

If you are hell bent on hunting Elk and have to do it in Nov I would consider dropping your bow and picking up a rifle. Rifle hunting Elk is no easy task either!
        I don't mind doing the rifle hunt, but I really REALLY want one with the bow. I know it won't be easy, as I can hardly hunt whitetail on public land up here. No bait, no feeders, just looking for sign and stalking.

I have always been nervous about being around other public land hunters during a rifle season. I don't think I can afford a landowner tag, which is why I need a DIY hunt in the first place. I think the earliest that I could ask off would be maybe the beginning of October. I have contemplated just going for three or four days, but I don't want to cut the experience short. I know most people are in for a week or so, or so I have always believed in my head. Would three or four days be OK for a decent trip? I think I already know what the answer will be.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
          I would not reccomend the NM late season archery tags. It is a very rough hunt and if it is your first elk hunt it could even turn you off from elk hunting.

If you cannot get off of school earlier I would consider starting out with a landowner rifle cow tag. Maybe during the thanksgiving break. At least you would be able to get your feet wet with elk hunting.
          What makes it rough, if you don't mind me asking? Weather, terrain, etc.? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
            If you like gosh awful cold and coming to a gun fight with a knife. If you are going to hunt in the snow with a bow, I suggest a rut mule deer hunt. IMO
            Rut mule deer hunt in CO? I can do that as well. Not an elk, but I could get real familiar with the terrain, cold, pain, etc. really fast. What is the difference in price for the mule deer as opposed to the elk?

Comment

My brother did the hunt just last month. The unit he was in had a harvest restriction of a minimum of a 6x6.That time of year the bulls are mostly all alone and most of the units are very spread out with really low numbers of elk compared to northern NM and CO.

They were burning 10-12 miles of leather per day. They seen mostly 5x5s. If you go to the NM game and fish page you can look up the odds for the late season archery hunts.

Why are you against public land rifle hunts? We watched a couple of really nice elk prior to the first rifle elk hunt this past OCT. When we set camp we noticed there was a group of hunters near were we had been watching a really big one. For some odd reason the did not think they were in a good location? They decided to move there camp the afternoon of the second day. That evening we went in there and my buddy shot his first elk ever a 330 class.

We did not really see that many hunters at all. Plus if you have a good set of optics and like to hike you can get away from about 90% of the hunters.

Comment

I guess it's the fear of dummies from hunting in East Texas. That is most of it. Hunter orange didn't mean anything. I'm getting over it, and as long as I can get completely away from everyone, I think my chances will go up. I'm not against public land anything. If it wasn't for that, someone like me wouldn't be able to hunt at all. I just want it to be with my bow. I started that this year, and have done well, at least for me. I want to continue the bow only tradition next season, and I know that taking elk, mule deer, etc. with a bow would mean more to me. Just my preference. Having said that, if the difference between me taking an elk is weapon choice, I will pick up the rifle. Actually, I will have to purchase a rifle, unless a .30-.30 would work. LOL

Are NM elk tags OTC as well? Is the price comparable to the CO OTC? Just trying to get a ballpark figure. Is NM easier to hunt in November as opposed to the cold and snow of CO? Looking for direction, so I can pick a place and start looking at units. Thanks for the heads up and the help. I really need it.

Comment

On a preparation note, what do you do to prepare for carrying the packs? I have been throwing 50 lbs. in an old backpack and just walking. Not ready to head out yet, but on the way.

Comment

Originally posted by marshrat View Post
                    Are NM elk tags OTC as well? Is the price comparable to the CO OTC? Just trying to get a ballpark figure. Is NM easier to hunt in November as opposed to the cold and snow of CO? Looking for direction, so I can pick a place and start looking at units. Thanks for the heads up and the help. I really need it.
                    NM is all draw unless you can get a landowner voucher.

Comment

Are all the draws only for people with preference points?

Comment

Great thread.

Comment

Are all the draws only for people with preference points?
                          NM doesn't have pref points, it is even chances for everyone every year. That said, being a NR it is going to be a biotch, a huge one, to get drawn for a bull tag, especially in the HD (high demand) units. BUT you could probably get drawn for a cow tag if you put it first choice in your app. Not guaranteed though.

In all seriousness, if you can't get free for several days in Sept. then I'd do a rifle hunt. Will allow you to get into the woods and learn about elk and the areas they live in and how they live. That is the most important thing anyway. If you can't do that, I would HIGHLY suggest you go for a NR cow tag in NM and get it for a unit that is closest to you and you can get the most time to hunt and not just traveling. There is nothing better than hearing elk scream in the early morning darkness with a bow in your hand, who cares if it is a bull or cow tag?!!!

Comment

On a preparation note, what do you do to prepare for carrying the packs? I have been throwing 50 lbs. in an old backpack and just walking. Not ready to head out yet, but on the way.
                            Lift heavy weights doing big compound movements one day, then run the next day (mix up times, lengths and speeds) then hike long distances with increasing pack weight, then repeat the three days as needed. Just don't be overzealous and try running with heavy packs in your boots ala death march style, it will kill your knees. Believe me, that is what I did last year. Dumb.

Comment

No cow tags for non-residents thru the draw anymore...All cow tags go to residents as of this year. You will have to buy a landowner tag if you want to hunt cows in New Mexico.

Comment

Note: The MT archery Elk season runs to the middle of Oct.

3 or 4 days would be OK if you already knew where Elk were. You could consider a week+ long scouting trip during the summer(before school) and try to find a few different groups and fresh sign. That would allow you to do a bonzai for 3-4 days during the season. As long as the Elk you find are off the beaten path they will still be in the general area come season. If you couldn't locate any Elk you could save yourself the $600 and try it again next year.

You've got a built in 3 day weekend for labor day. You will probably be looking at 12hrs each way for drive time though.

Colorado's Archery season for 2012 will be 8/25 – 9/23
                                Last edited by drthornton; 01-03-2012, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X