Longbow guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longbow guys

I traded for a Striker and it is noisy. Much worse than my almost silent recurves.
    It has puffs and limbsavers on the limbs so I figure it has to be a brace height issue. The arrows are at 9.08 gpp on a 45 pound bow. What is a typical brace height for r/d bow? I think it is a tad over 7" now

Start at 8, work down from there, I don't have a Striker, but Google says 7.5-8 inches

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

My superstition likes 8 1/4".

Comment

My longbow is set right at 7 and I don't think I have heard it yet. Most of the noise is the string leaving my glove and the arrow impact. All my longbow has on it are the beaver fur silencers. Mine also is not a striker, and not a hybrid. Maybe that's the difference is limb design?

Comment

I have it up to 7 1/2" now. It is better but still making more noise than several of my recurves. I will take it up some more and listen. It is an easy bow to shoot and feels tiny compared to the rest of the stable. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Which model and specs if you don't mind me asking

Comment

Sounds like you're in the ballpark fro brace height at 7.5", though you may want to check it again after checking a few more things.

First, make sure the limbs don't have any twist. Simply look lengthwise down the bow when it is strung. Even a slight twist (usually easily fixed by bumping the limb) can cause bow noise.

Also check that your limb silencers are tight on the string. Loose silencers (especially fur strips, like beaver balls) can buzz quite a bit. Is the string itself in good shape...no cut strands or loose serving? if so, try another string.

Is the string nock set high enough? Most split finger shooters get by with .5" high, or maybe .75" if you shoot three under. Make sure the nocks themselves are tight on the string.

Are you sure the arrows you're using are the right spine for the bow? It makes a difference.

Finally, how's your release? if you 'pluck' the string at all you may get noise, especially if any of the above aren't quite right.

Hope you find a solution.

Comment

Check you puffs to make sure they are tight. I had a "ping" sound from a longbow years ago and it turned out to be a loose silencer. Sounds like you need to go up to 7 3/4" or more on the brace.

Comment

I brace my selfbows at 6-61/2 . If you want a quite bow get a selfbow.

Comment

I do not know the model of the bow. It looks identical to the one pictured in the 3 Rivers flyer that came out about a month or six weeks ago. Nice looking woods with a flair and pretty veneers under clear glass. They sell for $950 at 3 Rivers. I will see if I can find a picture of it
                    Selfbows? No thanks. I have no interest in self bows, flat bows, or Hill style. They are about as appealing to me as tofu or soybean burgers. My shooter recurves are nearly silent after I find the sweet spot and correct arrow. I expect this bow will be also but I just need some pointers on what these straighter sticks like. I really don't know if a low brace or high brace is better or customary. I don't care for low brace height bows and have bruises to explain why I don't. This one seems to shoot well and quieter at higher brace. I probably need to pull the string and take a half inch out as it is getting a lot of twist in it.

Comment

Here are a couple pictures in case one of you can identify the model.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Good looking

Comment

I'd start at 8" or 8 1/2"

Comment

My r/d bows do best around 7 1/4". I also think those limb savers aren't doing any good where they are at. Most vibrations are mid limb.
                            What type of string and what is the strand count?

Comment

All the more experienced folk havent brought this up so Im feeling like this is inconsequential but:
                              I was under the notion that trad arrow weight should be between 10-12gpp for target arrows and 15-16gpp for hunting arrows. Maybe a heavier arrow would help silence the bow?

Also...a bowyer once told me... that he doesnt set the string silencers evenly distributed because the string travels in an uneven wave and its often not evenly distributed....so the silencers shouldnt be either. However I know some archers that like everything symmetrical.
                              Last edited by Briar Friar; 05-06-2017, 03:55 PM. Reason: NoButSpake

Comment

Working...
                              X