Summit Climber Stand Overhaul and Rehab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summit Climber Stand Overhaul and Rehab

I bought two Summit climbers from Texasherd in classified back in May. The deal was good for both of us. One stand was brand new, the other was used and a slightly older model. I decided to overhaul and rehab the used one. First I wanted to replace the older climbing stirrup setup. The Summit website has all parts required. I bought the plastic stirrup and bungee cord for this. While on site I saw they were selling super cool replacement pads for only $10!!! So I bought those also.

Click image for larger version

Name:	023E22D5-1727-4C34-AA86-6FDBF01366F3.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	25149498

The haul from Summit.

I wanted to paint/camo the aluminum stand. I used a black base then stenciled with pine limbs khaki, dirt brown and forest green (in the order). I used the Rust Oleum spray cans that we all know and use. The pine limbs worked great... I had cut them and let them sit a while so some of the needles were falling off, but other than that they worked great.

Name:	A3070DCF-B73E-47BB-9430-4BA31FC7AD43.jpeg
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	25149499

Name:	BFB66CC7-FBBC-4717-8E32-1D08A93EA45A.jpeg
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	25149500

Painting

I am letting the paint dry for a day or so. I will look for any missed spots/touch-ups and then attach the safety strips on the foot platform. I bought these strips at Lowe’s and recommend them for climbing stand safety (your feet won’t slip when climbing).

Name:	A18B3409-95B1-4A8B-BCBB-8A044D656C23.jpeg
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	25149501

Strips in place, but not attached yet.

I will post when I attach stirrups and finish touch ups. All in all this was an easy project and kind of got me fired up for October! We now have two more excellent climbers to use on my place! ( we like to leave them on tree as opposed to hauling them around). If you do this, watch out for squirrels, they will eat seats!

Name:	0E03C811-D67A-4B51-A0B6-351DD87AEA73.jpeg
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	24543615

The stands as I bought them. The one I am painting is the light one. The stand in the background was brand new and I won’t paint it this year. The darker color makes it workable. The one I am painting had old style climbing stirrups which I am replacing.,

Comment

Name:	104AF9D1-AAB0-46C7-B5F6-F010E9B2AA94.jpeg
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	24543616

The foot platform before forest green and before I cut off the old bungee cord used for climbing.

Comment

Nice, man!!

Comment

Oldies and goodies. I have killed a lot of deer out of those older Summits. Scotch Guard your seat to help repel water.

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
            Nice, man!!
            Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
              Oldies and goodies. I have killed a lot of deer out of those older Summits. Scotch Guard your seat to help repel water.
              Good idea. As I said we do leave ours out so I wet seat is always a concern. Do you have any ideas how to keep squirrels away from seats. We left one out through February because we were on some hogs and It got chewed pretty bad.

Comment

Nicely done
                Looks like your getting ready for this fall

Comment

Originally posted by ReydonPete View Post
                  Nicely done
                  Looks like your getting ready for this fall
                  Thank you and yes... It’s near July 4th.... we’ve made the turn!

Comment

Well done

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                      Good idea. As I said we do leave ours out so I wet seat is always a concern. Do you have any ideas how to keep squirrels away from seats. We left one out through February because we were on some hogs and It got chewed pretty bad.
                      I usually slide a large lawn and leaf bag over mine. Put a tight bungee cord around it. Then cover with cut saplings or something similar.

Comment

Working...
                      X