What would you do with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do with

a post oak 30 to 31 in. diameter and 14.5 ft long. I cut one down and this is the dimension of the main trunk before it starts splitting different ways. I have an old high school friend that has a mill. Charges 150 an hour I think...if memory is correct. Anyway, I am thinking about having some slabs cut and making a long dinner table at the hunting camp. What would you make or table ideas?

The rest of the tree I have cut up into firewood, except for one huge branch left.

Fire place mantles... Keep the one or few you want then sell the rest for some money in your pocket?

Comment

Live edge, thick cut dining table

Cut down to whatever length works

Comment

Had a huge American Cedar that hit the ground. It has now made two hope chests, a gun box, a trophy placard, and we are fixing to make the rest into a very expensive dining table....
        Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 06-26-2018, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
          Live edge, thick cut dining table

Cut down to whatever length works
          ^^^ This.

Comment

Live edge, thick cut dining table sounds good. Fireplace mantle great idea but I have one in drying phase from a hickory tree.

Johnny good ideas. Any pictures? Anyone have plans I could look at? I don't have any skills but plan on trying to learn some in next few years.

Comment

not to burst your bubble but there is a reason you don't see post oak furniture. It's a beautiful wood but is going to check badly and it likes to continue to move, forever. I have at least 3 trees that size that need cut down but it's more work than reward.

That being said these items are all made from post oak...it's great stabilized or for small things once thoroughly dry.

I have some benches and turned items made from po but I cant access the server at the moment.

Comment

Benches, chairs most anything.

BBQ wood?

Comment

Working...
                X