Meater Wireless cooking thermometer review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meater Wireless cooking thermometer review

My wife gave me a Meater wireless thermometer for Father’s Day which I used along side my maverick for comparison (and peace of mind.)

The Meater is a very neat concept. It is a single probe that monitors both food temp and ambient temp. It can connect to your smart phone/tablet via Bluetooth, WiFi (Meater Link)or though a cloud server (Meater Cloud). For the cloud service you either need their base, Meater Block, or 2 smart devices. Meater Link allows you to monitor cooks with any wireless device on the same WiFi network. Meater Cloud allows you to monitor cooks from anywhere you have smart device internet connection.

After about 10 mins of setting up an iPad and my phone to connect to the probe and setting min/max cooking temp alarms as well as a food temp alert, I was ready to put it to use. In general the ambient temp was about 18 degrees less than my maverick. This appears to be due to a “cool bubble” of air that surrounds any cooking surface due to circulation and evaporation. They eventually were near identical temps as the cook progressed. The main issue I encountered was maintaining Bluetooth connection to my “bridge” device. It consistently lost connection but would reconnect eventually. It think that is largely because my Kamado cooker is insulated steel construction and blocks the Bluetooth signal. It seemed to be more prevalent when smoke was heavier. I’m not sure it would be as prevalent in a stick burner because it has more openings and seems. Placing the bridge device immediately next to the cooker would also fix it, but didn’t want to leave an iPad outside all night.

I wasn’t blown away by the performance, but not totally disappointed either.

Remove the guesswork from cooking with MEATER, the smartest cooking thermometer for your BBQ and Kitchen.

Results were great either way, good crust on the brisket, perfect texture and full mouths and bellies spoke for themselves.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3B82F8D5-41E4-4FAB-914E-FCA959DFA6EB.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	25148773

Name:	16961655-1628-4746-90EF-883E50F992F0.jpg
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	25148774

Name:	E5C8B9E0-668C-4BB8-83AF-A520C7D5A5E4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	25148775
    Last edited by Playa; 06-16-2018, 03:36 PM.

looking real good...... great slice test...
    Bark crust, crust, bark..
    Seriously though it looks dang good.....nice bark for a vertical style smoker
    Last edited by Smart; 06-16-2018, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      looking real good...... great slice test...
      Bark crust, crust, bark..
      Seriously though it looks dang good.....nice bark for a vertical style smoker
      Ehh I’m running about 7 hrs sleep in the past 48, I’m not all that sharp at the moment, yes bark.

I’m getting it down, I think not wrapping it was the key and just let keep cooking exposed. Was not dry at all. Plenty of smoke flavor, maybe a bit too much, but nobody else complained, mouths were too full to speak ill of it.

May switch to Stubbs natural charcoal next go and see if I don’t get a better smoke ring (CO & NO), plus it burns more consistently, use a little less wood. This was 6 oak chunks and a handlful of apple chips. Probably skip the apple chips next time.

Comment

Took the Meater for another spin this afternoon and smoked 2 whole chickens, which is actually one of my favorite things to smoke. Performed much better this go. I adjusted my airflow technique to a very small intake and a more open exhaust on the Akorn. I also used my phone as the base unit and linked via WiFi to the tablet in the house. Worked out much better no signal loss until I needed to move it to the porch to charge. I’m liking it more.

Birds turned out great as well.

Comment

Glad yours is working out for you. I placed an order for the "meater block" in January of 2016 through their indiegogo campaign and have yet to receive it. Trying to get a refund now!

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
            Glad yours is working out for you. I placed an order for the "meater block" in January of 2016 through their indiegogo campaign and have yet to receive it. Trying to get a refund now!
            Oh that sucks! Still shows pre-order on their website.

Comment

I noticed similar interference with cooking in La Caja China.

Comment

Finished my 3rd cook with this thermometer today, and I’m beginning to like it more and more.

Finished product, “burnt ends.” I took the tip of the point and chunked it up and threw it back on the cooker for 20 or so mins to burn the edges.

Name:	FAFD13FB-AC90-4CDD-850C-38A8F26D77F7.jpg
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	24546842

The rest of the point got chopped up for sammiches tomorrow, and the flat will be sliced later for leftovers and some vacuum sealed for later (chili).

Comment

Working...
                X