Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, last weekend I tried the larger Schwacker, and ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, last weekend I tried the larger Schwacker, and ....

it didn't go very well. I shot a doe quartering slightly away in the shoulder at 15 yards with a 70lb. bow. I hit exactly the spot that I was aiming. Penetration was poor with about only 1/3 of the arrow penetrating. She ran off with the arrow wagging as she went. I followed a decent blood trail and followed it for about a quarter mile before it played out. I really wanted to find her, not just for the meat, but to see what went wrong. I used Thunderheads for many years, and I never lost an animal that I shot with one. I am dead positive that I would have recovered her with a Thunderhead. The shot was so good that I was astonished that I saw her run for more than 50 yards. You really get a terrible feeling when something like this happens.

Why not shoot behind the shoulder? Sorry you lost your deer...

Comment

Originally posted by JSF View Post
      Why not shoot behind the shoulder? Sorry you lost your deer...
      I shot at the opposite shoulder, which should have resulted in a double lung hit. I didn't know a deer had as much blood as I found, but the bottom line is she wasn't recovered.

Comment

Time to get a dog

Comment

Sorry to hear about your loss, that is the worst feeling.

Sorry to hijack but i noticed you hunt in Camp Wood. My fiance dad has a place just outside of town. Love that area, beautiful country. We were there this past weekend and activity was slow but i know the weather, full moon, and acorns every where were not helping. Just wondering though when does the rut for the wt kick off in that area?

Comment

Originally posted by acomeaux View Post

Sorry to hijack but i noticed you hunt in Camp Wood. My fiance dad has a place just outside of town. Love that area, beautiful country. We were there this past weekend and activity was slow but i know the weather, full moon, and acorns every where were not helping. Just wondering though when does the rut for the wt kick off in that area?
            Pm sent to not hijack the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by acomeaux View Post

On our ranch, the rut generally starts just after Thanksgiving and runs hot until about the third week in December.

Comment

What arrows are you using?

Comment

Good to hear, thank yall for the input. Good luck to yall the remainder of the season

Comment

So if you were happy with 1 1/8" cutting diameter, why go to 2 1/4"?

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                      So if you were happy with 1 1/8" cutting diameter, why go to 2 1/4"?
                      Just hearing good things about the Schwackers, and , OK, a bow shop sold me on them. I'm using CE Maxima shafts.

Comment

I shot a doe at 48 yards that was at a some what hard angle and the arrow stopped at the opposite shoulder. I was using a Ramcat and that thing backed out like they are supposed to do. When I cleaned the deer I could see the mess it made inside. I think if I was using a different BH it still would have killed her but not in 30 yards! It's nice when the shot is further than the distance the deer runs.

Comment

I use Thunderheads, always have excellent results. Only strayed once, Rage, not good results.

Comment

Sorry for the loss, but I am going to say it again, without recovering the deer or the arrow, there is no way to say exactly where you hit. If you recovered the arrow it might give you some clues. I have been in your shoes and had the same thing happen, but the majority of the time the loss happened because of a poor shot. Not saying your's was a poor shot, but your eyes will play tricks on you and I would be willing to bet that the shot was not exactly where you thought it was. As far as penetration, who knows, that arrow can go in a long ways and back out just as quick when that animal moves. Again sorry your could not find the deer.

Comment

Sounds like you did everything right. Shooting for the opposite shoulder was correct. Sorry about the loss.

Comment

Working...
                              X