Point and Shoot Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Point and Shoot Recommendations

To start off, I know absolutely nothing about cameras. However, I know that my current digital camera is absolutely worthless. I have a two-year old and have to take 100 pictures with my ancient 2-mp Nikon to catch her smiling or doing something cute.

That being said, I'm looking for a relatively decent point and shoot camera with the following primary criteria:
    (1) shortest time possible from pressing the button to taking the picture;
    (2) quick flash recharge.

I'm sure some of the specs listed measure these things but I have no idea what they're actually saying. I also don't want to drop the change on an SLR at this point, although I'd love to have one. Of course, I'd like the highest pixels possible and best zoom, but those are secondary considerations to actually getting a decent picture.

Anyone have any ideas on a decent point and shoot? I've looked at Bestbuy and Amazon but don't really know what I'm looking at.

Canon S5 IS

Or

The Olympus looks pretty sweet.

Comment

I second the Canon s5.

Comment

Comparing shutter-lag (biggest complaint with P&S cameras) is tricky because specifications regarding lag are not standarized -it's a little hard to figure out when reading specs - some show lag times with autofocus which is slower than manual focus. The best proxy or estimating shutter lag are autofocus lag and shutter release lag if you can find that data. The good news is that today's cameras have considerably less lag than they did just a year or two ago.
        Last edited by jerp; 05-22-2008, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Honestly with those requirements, I wouldnt get a P&S Its what P&S's do worst. Pick up a used digital rebel kit for under $300 bucks and it will take great pictures for you with near instant shutter response and fast recycle. If that is something you are interested in shoot me an email and I will send you what to look for when shopping for one. Draw backs are they are much bulkier than a P&S and there is a learning curve.

If you stay with P&S, I third the Canon S5 IS or S3 IS. They take great pictures for a P&S. If you are looking for something smaller and cheaper try the SD1100 IS. I really don't think the shutter lag is bad, but I just accept there is going to be shutter lag on anything but a SLR at this point in time.

Example Pics with SD1100 (its my P&S)

Comment

For a Point and Shoot, the Canon S3/S5, then Sony H5/H2.

You'll have to look at reviews to figure out which one you like best. A lot like the S3 over the S5, and a lot of people like the H2 over the H5.

One thing is, the Canon is sharper, Sony blurs the images a little, but that can be cleaned up with sharpen tool. But Sony has better colors, and nicer glass, it has a Carl Zeiss lens on it.

Sony is cheaper, I would have gotten my Mom the S3, but since my Dad had partial word in this, and he is a Sony fan, we got a Sony.

Another you might want to look at is the Fujifilm Fine Pix S700. The features are not as easy to use (maybe easy is not the word, but not the same as everyone else's, so if you are used to one, that might be a factor). But I don't really recall any bad reviews on it...

Comment

I picked up an Olympus Stylus 770 SW P&S digital last year. It's water-proof to 33ft, shock proof (drop it 5ft, no issue), extremely small and even comes with an altimeter that gives you above or below sea level readings with a 7mp output. It's a decent little camera and I never worry about going anywhere with it rain or shine.

As mentioned above, all P&S cameras are slower than DSLR frames but they are fast enough if you time things to capture shots.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I'm casting around on the internet looking at the suggestions. Does anyone have a website where I could find a used rebel other than ebay?

Comment

Canon Digital Photography Forum has a very active classified section. I've bought a lens or two and a tripod there.

TexasPhotoForum.com also has a classified section. It's not as active as the other one, but I've bought stuff there too.
                  Last edited by Shane; 05-22-2008, 03:01 PM.

Comment

I have bought most of my gear off of fredmiranda.com classifieds section

Comment

Panasonic FZ50 Around $450 at B&H

Click image for larger version

Name:	0001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	23841046

Comment

Action shot of my Cat's nephew. She said she better get credit for the shot of the butterfly as well as this one. So yes it's soooo easy Cat can even do it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Breck Holman Pilot Point-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	23841047

Comment

Working...
                        X