Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The one that got away......... 2wice !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one that got away......... 2wice !!!

No pics, videos, or eyewitnesses!

Took a buddy and his son camping and fishing up here on Texoma last wknd.
    Caught several striper early Sat morning but they wanted to put out some jugs that night.
    My buddies son must have threw the cast net 150 times but he ended up with about 100 shad.
    Just before dark we set 14 jugs in 11' of water (Jugs were still set that depth from last year so we went w it, lol).
    Next morning we caught 4 nice cats, 1 crappie (released), and 1 gar (dead).
    But....... 3 jugs were gone! We looked all over but never found them.

Fast forward to yesterday am..........

I went out by myself to chase striper at daylight. After catching plenty on topwaters for an hour or so...... I decided to cruise out past Highport.
    As I passed Mill Creek I noticed a jug about 100 yds from my boat. It was running and going under, then back up. No other jugs anywhere. As I got closer, I noticed it was MINE! 4 miles from where I'd set it a week ago !
    It was set for 11', and only had 30' of line, total. I was in 47' of water now.
    Well..... every time I got close, it'd submerge. Even coasting up with the motor killed wouldn't work. Finally, after an hour of playing hide and seek with this thing, I snagged it with a spinner bait.
    I tried easing the jug to me but the fish still fought hard, pulling drag and my boat at times. When i finally got the jug in hand, I started pulling up line, slowly. I could tell it was big..... HEAVY.....
    Not much resistance, just dead weight. I'm sure this ol boy was worn out from a week of being hooked up. The jug had held at 11' so I didn't have to raise it much to see the fish.

And what I did see made my jaw drop! The fish stretched from the center of my pontoon boat to well past the side! Over 4' !!! BLUE CAT.
    I should have dropped the jug and went back to camp for help. But I didn't. I tried grabbing my phone for a pic. The fish made another run and I gave him the 11' of line but held the jug. He was pulling HARD. I had to hold the jug with both hands.
    Then the hook straightened. Eagle claw 4/0 laser sharp.

The end.

No evidence except in my memory.
    I wouldn't have kept it anyhow, but would have loved a pic and weight. Quite possibly 100#.
    Last edited by 12ring; 07-22-2018, 12:07 PM.

After catching lots and lots of big blues on Texoma myself, I absolutely believe you. Stinks you couldn’t land him, but that memory will always be there!!

Gonna send you a pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Blue or flathead?

Comment

i thought this was another tiger woods thread. im glad its not because he is done.

i hope you get that whopper dont give up. unlike tiger, you have a great chance.

Comment

Wow Possible record?

Comment

Noodle, or a real jug?

Comment

Dang wish you could have landed it.

Comment

Lots of big blues on that lake. Rod and reel record is over 121lbs caught from the bank. There used to be a guide that specialized in big blues with rod and reel during the winter months.

Comment

Very cool

Comment

Blue cat on pvc with noodle.

Comment

Cool. Would have been nice to attach a second jug to wear him out.
                      What a beast !

Comment

Should have had the Jaws sound track on while you were chasing down that jug, lol. There are some giants in Texoma.

Comment

Time to swap to 12/0 tuna hooks

Comment

Awesome story!

Comment

Lots of big ole blues up here. Jug lines are one thing but the noodlers have a noodle loose to get in snake infested water wiggling their fingers around.

Comment

Working...
                              X