No announcement yet.

Defrosting VEnison Hamburger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i just leave it in the sink and it is ususly done within 4-6 hours, jut keep checking it and dont forget about it, dont prefer hot water or micro cus you risk cooking it

Comment

Another vote for an airtight bag in warm water. Ground meat thaws much more quickly than a roast would, for instance. More surface area or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowanta View Post
        Microwave does work, just make sure you rotate the product around and cook it as soon as possible after you thaw it.
        I do NOT recommend letting it set in a sealed package in HOT water as this greatly increases the bacteria growth that can lead to food poisoning. The approved ways to thaw frozen meat are:
        - in a refrigerator
        - under cool running water that is 70* or below
        - in a microwave (then cook it as soon as possible)
        - part of the cooking process.
        Just my thoughts after working in food service for over 25 years...
        My wife worked most of her life in food services. She would have a stroke if she read all these replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckslayertx View Post
          Just set it out the night before on the counter when you go to bed and the next morning its ready. Store in fridge until you cook it that evening. You can check it during the night when you get up to relieve and see if its ready to go to the fridge. If its thawed halfway or more then your good for fridge.
          x2

Comment

Evidently you can put it in the sink with hot water..............

...............or not

Comment

I throw it in the sink when I leave for work...thawed when I get home.

If you package it yourself, use ziploc bags or foodsaver.......and package it flat! Flat squares/rectangles stack mucho better in the freezer, and thaw super quick in warm water. Some processors are doing so now....

Comment

Originally posted by Buckslayertx View Post
                Just set it out the night before on the counter when you go to bed and the next morning its ready. Store in fridge until you cook it that evening. You can check it during the night when you get up to relieve and see if its ready to go to the fridge. If its thawed halfway or more then your good for fridge.

This is the best way IMO. I drop it in the sink and let thaw overnight. Put in the fridge the next morning to be kept cool for the next night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Same way you thaw out any other meat

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    If you package it yourself, use ziploc bags or foodsaver.......and package it flat! Flat squares/rectangles stack mucho better in the freezer, and thaw super quick in warm water. Some processors are doing so now....
                    Been doing this for about 30 years now. Works like a champ.
                    If I have to freeze venison for sausage making at a later date, I put 5lbs in a gallon ziplock and make it flat. Besides making it easy to stack and defrost it makes keeping track of weigh easy too.

I have declined lots of frozen venison over the years because of the way it's packaged. Bubba says, yeah it's a whole hindquarter...... geez

Comment

Didn't think about the rolled up packages like sausages. Been having mine processed flat rectangles for years. It does thaw way faster than the other way with increased surface area and is easier to stack in freezer as mentioned above

Comment

I read this somewhere and it really works well for thawing ground meat. Put the meat in a large bowl in the sink. Set another bowl of something on top of the meat package to hold it down. Fill the bowl with he meat with luke warm water, leave a slow stream of water running into the bottom bowl. With the water overflowing the bottom bowl, it will thaw the meat in a fairly quick time. I can usually thaw a pound of ground beef in about 30 minutes.

Comment

Warm water in the sink!

Comment

Cold water in the sink. It will thaw quick and the meat wont turn brown. Way better than warm or hot water.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                              I've been unthawing meat and fish in the sink for years. Ain't killed me yet.
                              Does this mean,..... your freezing it?.........
                              sorry,couldn't help it....

Comment

Just throw it in the sink in the morning.. no water needed and will be ready for dinner

Comment

Working...
                                X