Blacktail Down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blacktail Down!

Well I am finally getting around to post this so here it goes. I have only seen 1 legal buck on cameras on our property here in Northern California and I finally started to get a few pictures of this deer cruising around with him about 1 week before season ended. I have pictures of him for 2 previous years now but not until really late winter each year. Well I hunted him hard and there was a bear I was after as well and just hoped 1 of them would show up at the right time. Well I got into the stand about 30mins before shooting time and about an hour and a half later, I saw a deer across the field at 120yrds. I watched him for about 2 mins and then gave a couple doe bleats and he started coming my way. He got to about 45yrds and looked as if to turn and go into the thick but he kept coming straight at me. He stopped at like 18yrds but was facing me directly and I didn't have a shot. He took about 5 more steps and turned slightly and I thought it gave me enough room to sneak one in there at 15yrds. I hit him right where I wanted i thought. I gave him about 20mins and then hopped out to find no blood but I had good tracks and I felt great about the shot. I followed tracks for about 55 yrds and then found my arrow and the blood started pouring out. Good blood for another 50-60yrds and then there he was bedded down. I ended up taking a follow up shot that finished him off. Upon seeing where I hit in from the stand, it was exactly where I wanted it to be but I think we was quartering to me more than I expected and didn't get an exit but had 18" of penetration and great blood once it started (assumed it was from his mouth and was definitely lung blood). Not sure on his age but I took a jaw photo to see if anyone here could take a look. Sorry for the long read, but I am tickled to have him on the wall after a long season.

Last edited by BamaPSE; 11-12-2017, 07:29 PM.

Dang, great deer.
    Congratulations.

Comment

Congratulations. That buck looks very cool.

Comment

congrats! very cool buck!

Comment

Sweet! Congrats!

Comment

Great buck! This is a bucket list hunt for me.

Comment

Congratulations on a very good Blacktail.
              Now for the Bear.?

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

Awesome buck. Congrats

Comment

Sorry for the ginormous pictures! Not sure what to do about that =( Still working on the bear so I'll keep ya posted. Any guesses on age for this guy?

Comment

My black tail knowledge is limited, but that is as big or bigger than most black tails I have seen pictures of. Good job!

Comment

No guess on age but that's a great deer!

Comment

Super cool!!

Is there not a rifle season for those?

Comment

Don’t know much about black tails either, but it looks like a good one. Congratulations!

Comment

Working...
                              X